DSR: DX10 Bliss at 1920x1080

Thread: DSR: DX10 Bliss at 1920x1080

Threaded View

DSR: DX10 Bliss at 1920x1080

Here is what I've found, with a tip from SteveW at avsim, about how to maximize image quality using nividia's DSR in DX10 using a gtx 780 driving full screen at 1920 x 1080 with the 344.48 driver.

The first thing is to enable the 4x DSR factor (3x is almost as good; I didn't try anything less than 3x) and set DSR smoothness to 23% (any less introduced jaggies and any more blurred texture details) in the nvidia control panel. Then if you have DX10 AA and AF settings which you currently like dialed in with NI (or nvidia control panel) and Steve's Fixer program, leave them be except get rid of using transparency supersampling AA where ever you have it enabled. No need to change any other setting anywhere, other than the screen resolution setting in FSX. When DSR is enabled, the effective factor resolution will show up in the FSX screen resolution settings and it must be selected to see the benefit of DSR. The image quality I get using these setting is stunning both inside and outside the VC; I almost fell out my chair when I flew over some high quality photo scenery. My gtx 780 hits a max usage of about 80% using these setting with dense cloud cover; with the added bonus that since SSGS AA is not used, dense cloud cover no longer hammers performance as it once did since Steve's fixer disables standard AA for clouds. In lesser cloud cover the max usage was less than 60%.

When I first tried DSR, I treated it as an AA cure all, which it's not and only got marginal results using it as such. Having AA and AF setting enabled with DSR is essential for creating jaw dropping image quality. Unfortunately lesser gcards may not get away with these settings, but for those with a 770 or better, give it a try.
    Last edited by TheFamilyMan; November 1st, 2014 at 15:16.
    i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz/4.3Ghz cache | 2x4GB Samsung green @ 2133 9-10-10-24 T1 1.55v | Asus Z87-Pro | MSI gtx 780 TF gaming OC
    Corsair TX-750 | Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E |
    SSD: Sandisk 480GB (system), Samsung 250GB (FSX) | HD: 1T, 1T, 2T
    Asus 24" 2ms HD monitor | Saitek X52 Pro and petals | TrackIR 4

FSX: DX10 Fixer | REX 4
    | ASN | UTX USA/EUR/AK | GEX NA/EUR | FSGenesis mesh | FTX PNW/NorCal/NZSI | SceneryTech LC USA/EUR/Asia | Accufeel
    CFS: Rise of Flight | IL-2 HSFX

Members who have read this thread: 0