DSR: DX10 Bliss at 1920x1080 - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DSR: DX10 Bliss at 1920x1080

I had tried 3x and 4x @ 23% as the OP suggested but there was no way I was going to be able to read those fonts - not to mention my GPU load was spiking, my FPS was jittery from 8FPS - 31FPS as an idea of the level of stuttering I was getting.

I noticed the OP said he DID NOT try anything less than 3x with an absolute 23% smoothness as the ONLY recommended number to use....I scoffed - I tried the 2x @ 33% and I am in a whole new world of FSX bliss
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

... and great screenshots they are too!

Here's some eye-candy from me! DSR mode active:

Adam.
    XP11.50 | MSFS 2020
    Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40-4.69GHz | 8GB DDR3 | nVidia RTX2060 8GB | Win10 2004 64-bit 24Gb RAM

thats a real nice shot of the Billy Mitchell - nice skin too
    enter..the Sandman

Just Tried the DSR Tweak...I've Got to Comment

First I will give some background - Rig = AMD FX8350, small OC to 4.2 GHz, GTX 760 with driver 344.60. I'm mostly running GEX UTX around my area (Minneapolis, MN), but once in awhile I shift to FTX Yellowstone or Jackson Hole.

I have gone through Adamski_NZ's setup manual for DX10 and purchased Steve's DX10 Fixer. Prior to that I got 15 - 30 FPS with OK graphics. After setting up DX10 stuff there was a "pop" in my graphics, but not a stupendously great pop. BUT...it was better!

I just did the DSR thing to 3X and 23%. First thing I noticed was in settings that allowed me a great resolution 3325x2078x32. Anybody know where that came from? I picked it to give it a try. Loaded my old faithful Lancair Legacy and took a spin. There was another "POP" in graphics. I'm still getting a smooth 15 to 30 FPS, but definitely more eye candy. I also have the tiny text, but I'm OK with that. Another question for those that might know...why do some of my roads have "jaggies"? Some are very good and some are not. (And I do have traffic that run pretty smoothly so I might try trading some traffic for FPS.)

Another question for those that may have an opinion - would a higher resolution monitor make a difference (mine is 1920x1200). (I just noticed on my screen resolution selection panel I have 3325x2078 selectable!)

My bottom line is that I'm very pleased with the transition from where I started before Adamski_NZ's setup manual, Steve's DX10 Fixer and the DSR fix. Good stuff. (TIA for any answers to my questions.)

Edit to add photo and comment:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-11-6_9-2-29-276.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	106.0 KB 
ID:	14590

See photo above for road jaggies (and the sign from Mall of America - better in the pix on my computer, but right side of photo by empennage). Can the road jaggies problem be solved? (How do I upload photo with better resolution?)
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

DX10+Fixer won't give you substantially better framerates - but it will give you better graphics (you can probably move all sliders one notch better) - and less OOMs.

I also have a 1920*1200 monitor. What DSR is doing (on the fly) is using the full resolution FSX is set to (3325x2078 in your case) then downsampling it to a mere 1920*1200 ... BUT ... because there's more information to work with, the resulting image is better quality. The same would be true if you downsized/resampled an image in a decent photo editor (like Photoshop). I'm amazed that the graphics card can do all this so quickly (and smoothly) - and still process HD clouds better than before. I'm adding a section on DSR to the "How-To", when I can work out how to put all this DSR stuff into simple language!

I don't think your image would be *that* much better on a larger monitor - not sure - anyone?

The "jaggies" will more than likely be just poor resolution scenery tiles. If you can read off that SLEW info from the top left, I'll see what I get on my system - providing it's either default FSX or a scenery area I own.

Adam.
    XP11.50 | MSFS 2020
    Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40-4.69GHz | 8GB DDR3 | nVidia RTX2060 8GB | Win10 2004 64-bit 24Gb RAM

Thanks. I was using GEX UTX (North America). Do you have that? (I assume you may not.) If you do I will send the coordinates.
    Jay
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Quote Originally Posted by rvn817j View Post
    Another question for those that may have an opinion - would a higher resolution monitor make a difference (mine is 1920x1200). (I just noticed on my screen resolution selection panel I have 3325x2078 selectable!)
    Technically, yes a higher res monitor would help (even though Nvidia claims that DSR will better benefit lower res monitors). Starting at a higher res and then using DSR will simply result in a higher res image with the oversampling of DSR. The FSX image we see on our 1920 x 1200 monitors today looks better than what we had ten years ago with FS at 1024 x 768 monitors.

Regarding your jaggies, you can go back into Nvidia Control Panel and enable more resolutions that will then show up for you to choose in the FSX Graphics menu. Try different multipliers and slider settings to get an image you like. Also, you can combine AA settings with the different DSR resolutions... for example, you might find that 2X DSR+some Slider % with some level of AA in Nvidia Inspector looks better to you.

Keep in mind, too, that shooting pics at a high DSR setting+no AA will result in more jaggies than what we see in the moving image as we fly. The screen capture will simply have no AA, so the only thing smoothing the image is the high DSR res. It may or may not deal with the jaggies we see in screenshots depending upon our hardware and image settings.

HTH,

Greg
    i7-8086K @ 5.3GHz, ASUS Maximus XI Hero, MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X driving a 27" 2K LCD, G.Skill 16GB 3600, Samsung 512GB 970 Pro NVMe (OS and P3Dv4) and WD 2TB Black, Win 10 Pro.

My OP was aimed specially and only at my setup: a gtx 780 driving a 1920x1080 panel. I listed only what I found worked best for this setup. It was not meant as a comprehensive guide for any computer (which maybe Adam will take care of this soon). I thought that this was really the only thing I could reasonably post for any other information on hardware which I did not own would be 100% conjecture. But as a rule of thumb, as one decreases the DSR factor the smoothing must be increased to knock out the jaggies. The downside to doing this is that more detail is blurred as you move to lower DSR factors. The bottom line is for any card less than a gtx 780 you probably have to tune the DSR settings I listed to your preference; just beware that at a certain point DSR may become a diminishing return such that placebo effect starts creeping in. I would have added all this text to my OP if I could so edit it.

@ rvn817j:
    I use UTX as well and have no overall problem with roads as you show. But I have seen this jaggy roadway stuff happen in some areas before; I think it's an artifact of how FSX deals with making a straight road texture into a road that is bending ever so slightly. Trying flying over the same area with your pre DSR settings. I bet you'll find the same jagginess. People got to remember that DSR can't fix everything.

@ Adam:
    That is one fine shot!
    Last edited by TheFamilyMan; November 6th, 2014 at 12:29.
    i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz/4.3Ghz cache | 2x4GB Samsung green @ 2133 9-10-10-24 T1 1.55v | Asus Z87-Pro | MSI gtx 780 TF gaming OC
    Corsair TX-750 | Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E |
    SSD: Sandisk 480GB (system), Samsung 250GB (FSX) | HD: 1T, 1T, 2T
    Asus 24" 2ms HD monitor | Saitek X52 Pro and petals | TrackIR 4

FSX: DX10 Fixer | REX 4
    | ASN | UTX USA/EUR/AK | GEX NA/EUR | FSGenesis mesh | FTX PNW/NorCal/NZSI | SceneryTech LC USA/EUR/Asia | Accufeel
    CFS: Rise of Flight | IL-2 HSFX

Went back into the DX10 How To / Setup guide to make sure I was setting up AA properly. I had it OK, but made one tweak for my GTX 770. I set AA to 8x in nVidia Insp. and messed around a little with DSR. I ended up with DSR to 3.00x / 23%. Except for a few road jaggies now and then it is working very well and smooth. (I might have to wear my reading glasses to read the text, but that is a trade I'm willing to make.)

Edit: Now a gratuitous picture of me in my favorite airplane:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-11-6_12-44-5-327.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	14601
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by TheFamilyMan View Post
    The bottom line is for any card less than a gtx 780 you probably have to tune the DSR settings to your preference.
    A humble GTX 570 can handle 4.00x, 3360x2100 (16:10 monitor) even with 4xSGSS set in Nvidia Inspector.
    It makes a colossal screen shot though, this one is resized down to 1000x625

This is what it says top left, blurred because I have had to
    resize it up enough to read.

Regards,
    Nick

Great shot Nick. How do you insert shots here at SOH at higher resolution?
    Jay

A good question, I tried to attach the original in .jpg format but now I think it might have been better
    to zip it up and let anyone who wants to download and view it at their end.
    The original .bmp file was 26 MB!
    The reduced one makes the point in this case, I think.

Regards,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by rvn817j View Post
    Thanks. I was using GEX UTX (North America). Do you have that? (I assume you may not.) If you do I will send the coordinates.
    I don't have any GEX, I'm afraid. Only ORBX areas: NZSI/NZNI/NZMF/NZQN/AUS/YSCB/YMML/YSCH/ENG/PNW/PFJ/NCA.

As others have said, it's more likely to be a scenery problem than an antialiasing/DSR one.

Adam.
    XP11.50 | MSFS 2020

I have an older computer with a Core2Duo CPU running Vista into which I installed a GTX 660 several months ago. It runs FSX adequately and I use it once in awhile if I am at the place where that computer resides. With all this DSR talk I was by that computer and tried to turn it on. Surprise, no ability to select it even though I'm running the most recent video driver. Can anyone confirm which cards DSR is available on? TIA
    Jay

The GTX 660 being a Kepler GPU should work fine with DSR. First thing I'd try is a driver reinstall after thorough removal. DDU works well in Safe Mode, and is very easy to use: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/...-download.html Then reinstall the drivers without all the nVidia bloat... since FS is the only "game" I use, I only install the driver itself.

HTH

Greg
    i7-8086K @ 5.3GHz, ASUS Maximus XI Hero, MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X driving a 27" 2K LCD, G.Skill 16GB 3600, Samsung 512GB 970 Pro NVMe (OS and P3Dv4) and WD 2TB Black, Win 10 Pro.

Good News

The latest Steve's Fixer has a fix for some of the DSR tiny screen text, but unfortunately it does not fix the tiny menus nor GPS text/icons. It can also kill the sun blinding if you find that bothersome.

Here's some gratuitous eye candy, over MSE2 Utah in the A2A P-51, enjoy!

i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz/4.3Ghz cache | 2x4GB Samsung green @ 2133 9-10-10-24 T1 1.55v | Asus Z87-Pro | MSI gtx 780 TF gaming OC
    Corsair TX-750 | Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E |
    SSD: Sandisk 480GB (system), Samsung 250GB (FSX) | HD: 1T, 1T, 2T
    Asus 24" 2ms HD monitor | Saitek X52 Pro and petals | TrackIR 4

FSX: DX10 Fixer | REX 4
    | ASN | UTX USA/EUR/AK | GEX NA/EUR | FSGenesis mesh | FTX PNW/NorCal/NZSI | SceneryTech LC USA/EUR/Asia | Accufeel
    CFS: Rise of Flight | IL-2 HSFX

Quote Originally Posted by TheFamilyMan View Post
    Here's some gratuitous eye candy, over MSE2 Utah in the A2A P-51, enjoy!
    Nice!!

Adam.
    XP11.50 | MSFS 2020

I have always stayed away from DX10 due to it's scenery and aircraft compatibility issues.

But reading this post and one about that DX10 fixer program, I might actually bite the bullet and give DX10 a second chance.

I know that my rig should have no issues with that, considering it holds a i7 2600K processor @4.5GHz, and a factory Super Clocked GTX 770 w 4Gb ram.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Quote Originally Posted by manfredc3 View Post
    I have always stayed away from DX10 due to it's scenery and aircraft compatibility issues.

But reading this post and one about that DX10 fixer program, I might actually bite the bullet and give DX10 a second chance.

I know that my rig should have no issues with that, considering it holds a i7 2600K processor @4.5GHz, and a factory Super Clocked GTX 770 w 4Gb ram.
    Follow Adam's guide and you will be absolutely stunned at the results you get. DX10Fixer was one of the best FSX items I have purchased.
    Jay

Finally got back to trying DSR, I'm going to do some testing now to see what settings suit my system.
    I7 3700k @ 4.5 ghz, 2 x 8 gig 2133ghz ram, Evga gtx 780 classified, samsung 840 pro 250 gig ssd for op system, Win 7 64 bit ultimate, Samsung 840 evo for fsx photo scenery, 600 gig wd velocraptor for fsx, creative XFI fatality sound card.

Quote Originally Posted by sleightflight View Post
    Finally got back to trying DSR, I'm going to do some testing now to see what settings suit my system.
    Please report back with your results.
    Jay

I found my ancient system was simply too slow to cope with running DSR at higher levels (ie. enough to make a real difference) all the time.

My solution is to run at normal (windowed mode) most of the time, then flip into full-screen mode (ie. DSR) whenever I want to take a hi-res screenshot. I reckon I get the best out of both worlds that way!

Adam.
    XP11.50 | MSFS 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Adamski_NZ View Post
    I found my ancient system was simply too slow to cope with running DSR at higher levels (ie. enough to make a real difference) all the time.

My solution is to run at normal (windowed mode) most of the time, then flip into full-screen mode (ie. DSR) whenever I want to take a hi-res screenshot. I reckon I get the best out of both worlds that way!

Adam.
    Try setting the DSR at 2.5x native - then - set FSX resolution to your monitors native res...IE: I set DSR @ 3x native 3325x1871 - I then set FSX to my monitors native res 1920 x 1080
    This trick works - I still have a high resolution for FSX and I get the benefit of higher FPS that come with running a much lower than "native" resolution in FSX

win win
    enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    Try setting the DSR at 2.5x native - then - set FSX resolution to your monitors native res...IE: I set DSR @ 3x native 3325x1871 - I then set FSX to my monitors native res 1920 x 1080
    This trick works - I still have a high resolution for FSX and I get the benefit of higher FPS that come with running a much lower than "native" resolution in FSX
    I tried that, but if I set FSX to my native resolution (1900 x 1200) and flip between full screen and windowed mode, nothing happens. Basically, DSR mode (currently 3x) doesn't kick in at all.

What am I doing wrong?

Adam.
    XP11.50 | MSFS 2020

Members who have read this thread: 0