Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dil52 heading out

Dil52 heading out

EGUN-OR0G
    Departing 1600z
    ETE = 12 1/2 hours
    ETA = 0430z
    Tally Ho mates!

Another long distance flyer. Good luck in the Lockheed twin.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    Another long distance flyer. Good luck in the Lockheed twin.
    Thanks Moses!

You may think flying at night is boring but I keep busy.

Celestial Navigation Data for 2014 Oct 29 at 19:12:00 UT
    For Assumed Position:
    Latitude N 48 30.0
    Longitude E 17 00.0
    RASALHAG 62 08.1 N12 33.3 +16 32.5 270.4
    POLARIS 282 54.3 N89 19.5 +48 50.0 0.9

Sextant reading 19:12 (3 hours 12 min into flight)
    Distance to Lat N48degrees 30minute N E17degrees E
    60nm west, 30nm north
    Using the Pythagorean equation
    60x60=3600 + 30x30=900 = sq.rt. of 4500 =67nm
    D = S x T / 60
    D/Sx60 =T
    67/190x60=21minutes or 19:33z

Fred
    Last edited by Dil52; October 29th, 2014 at 04:50. Reason: arrange test

Success I believe! Sorry I can't find the saved file.

I hope this is OK

Too tired to keep searhing!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iRSCKIoYkqhtbWOXCwevFy3RlmU.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	14083

EGUN-OR0G.txt

http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFli...WOXCwevFy3RlmU

Good flight Fred. A little more direct with the S tant.

Icon22

Good to "see" you out here again.

Good to see you out in front of me too ... going to need all the inspiration I can find .... I have a plate full this race.

Think I set up a vending machine in Melbourne with some industrial strength Preparation H .... should make a million bucks.

Awesome Flight!

Blue Skies mate ... Catch ya later,
    salt_air

Quote Originally Posted by robert41 View Post
    Good flight Fred. A little more direct with the S tant.
    Thank You!

Yes, we fly with a bare map showing the flight plan and latitude/longitude lines only. No navaids or airports. We can only hope that the grounds crews have the runways lit up with those little white bags with candles in them if we arrive at night.
    The risky part is that we don't get star shots or drift when it's cloudy above, below or both.
    Thank goodness the weather was good enough to see both during most of this flight.....only about 1 hour when flying over the Black Sea was I not able to get a star fix.

We'll need to fly the fist part of the next flight, over the Kuh Rud Mountains, during day light hours. Some of those peaks are over 12,000' which is a stretch when flying a 7500 pound plane with 6000 pounds of fuel!

Amelia flys the plane I just navigate.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by salt_air View Post
    Good to "see" you out here again.

Good to see you out in front of me too ... going to need all the inspiration I can find .... I have a plate full this race.

Think I set up a vending machine in Melbourne with some industrial strength Preparation H .... should make a million bucks.

Awesome Flight!

Blue Skies mate ... Catch ya later,
    Two entries, that's awesome!

Dil52, nice one. Great stuff.

We are both the same age but when I fly I don't have to worry with all the nuances of flight; all that working out stuff...compass bearings, fuel load, weather etc. which trouble you.

I just manage to get the minimum of clean air under the wheels and then invariably aim directly to the site of the crash. Simples. Sorted!

Good luck mate,

Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by Dil52 View Post
    Thank You!

Yes, we fly with a bare map showing the flight plan and latitude/longitude lines only. No navaids or airports. We can only hope that the grounds crews have the runways lit up with those little white bags with candles in them if we arrive at night.
    The risky part is that we don't get star shots or drift when it's cloudy above, below or both.
    Thank goodness the weather was good enough to see both during most of this flight.....only about 1 hour when flying over the Black Sea was I not able to get a star fix.

We'll need to fly the fist part of the next flight, over the Kuh Rud Mountains, during day light hours. Some of those peaks are over 12,000' which is a stretch when flying a 7500 pound plane with 6000 pounds of fuel!

Amelia flys the plane I just navigate.

Fred

Roger on those mountains.
    I did find a nice pass through these on a direct route to India.
    Even at 11500 ft, do able, but in the dark? Few ndb's for me to go by. And not sure how the weather was going to be.
    I wimped out and flew a safer southern course. Still some pretty good high grounds early in the flight.
    Take care of the weather in India. I had a heck of a storm to fly through.

Roger on those mountains.
    I did find a nice pass through these on a direct route to India.
    Even at 11500 ft, do able, but in the dark? Few ndb's for me to go by. And not sure how the weather was going to be.
    I wimped out and flew a safer southern course. Still some pretty good high grounds early in the flight.
    Take care of the weather in India. I had a heck of a storm to fly through.
    I wouldn't call that wimping out Robert! I'd call that smart piloting and planning.

I saw where you flew south along the coasts and of course there are more navaids there than over the mountains and desserts.

I'm still pondering as to whether or not that's the best way to go. With close to full tanks those mountains come up pretty soon after TO. Not that the plane can't climb that fast, It just takes a lot of fuel and the pitch-up is over 2% until the fuselage tank is close of empty and the plane is not flying in a overloaded state.......not to mention slower speed when climbing that fast.
    I read once where the engineers told Amelia Earhart that she should take about 5 hours to climb to 5000' fully loaded.

Plus she gets annoyed when she has to fly through those dangerous mountain passes and canyons and over hostile dessert enviornments. I don't understand it, I have complete and total confidence in her piloting ability

PLEASE NOTE FOLKS; Seriously, I absolutely mean no disrespect for the legacy of Amelia Earhart here and have followed the TIGHAR group for years.
    I have had some pretty good and discussions in regaurds to celestial navigation with Ric and Tim and about where they believe she and Fred Noonan may have met their demise , but I admire their dedication and perseverance very much. I would love nothing more than to see that mystery solved in my life time.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by arfyhun View Post
    Dil52, nice one. Great stuff.

We are both the same age but when I fly I don't have to worry with all the nuances of flight; all that working out stuff...compass bearings, fuel load, weather etc. which trouble you.

I just manage to get the minimum of clean air under the wheels and then invariably aim directly to the site of the crash. Simples. Sorted!

Good luck mate,

Graham.
    Thanks Graham. You sound modest so my guess is that you're a pretty good pilot. I like the multi-tasking, I believe they call it, these days!

About crashes.....I'm sure you're familiar about the ole saying about landing and walking away from.

OR0G - VIAL
    Departing 09300z
    ETE 11:00 Hours
    ETA 20:30z

After 5 hours of flight Duenna Disconnected?????

I have no idea why.

SOH-CM-2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Dil52 View Post
    After 5 hours of flight Duenna Disconnected?????

I have no idea why.

I have had Duenna disconnect on me more than once. It happens when FSX goes into a suspended state with "(not responding)" showing in the FSX window header bar. If I wait long enough, sometimes 5 minutes or more FSX starts working again, but the Duenna is still disconnected. When I press the Duenna button to "Reconnect" it does so but with some red boxes showing in what was previously an all green Duenna status. The final Duenna on landing has a red border but is usually accepted after review. It is possible that your FSX entered a paused state, then resumed, but Duenna disconnected in the interim.
    Jeff
    "Providence Permittin"

Quote Originally Posted by jt_dub View Post
    I have had Duenna disconnect on me more than once. It happens when FSX goes into a suspended state with "(not responding)" showing in the FSX window header bar. If I wait long enough, sometimes 5 minutes or more FSX starts working again, but the Duenna is still disconnected. When I press the Duenna button to "Reconnect" it does so but with some red boxes showing in what was previously an all green Duenna status. The final Duenna on landing has a red border but is usually accepted after review. It is possible that your FSX entered a paused state, then resumed, but Duenna disconnected in the interim.
    Thanks Jeff..... I believe I know what happened now. My computer was set up to go to sleep after 10 minutes. I went into the kitchen to make a smoothie and when I came back the monitor was black. I'm guessing that's what happened anyway. I'm using FS9 but that shouldn't be any different than FSX.

I guess I'll just set my computer to "Never" go to sleep from now on when flying using Duenna then back again for safety reasons.

I'm hoping that the committee will approve a restart on this particular leg without penalties.

My flight should be on the Duenna server showing that it quit without the plane crashing after about 5 hours or so.

Miss Nellie looked up from her desk, "He did what?"

Long pause and a noticeable sigh...

"The Electra crew should be more mindful when visiting the galley."

Shorter pause...

"A restart without penalty is fine in this situation."

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    Miss Nellie looked up from her desk, "He did what?"

Long pause and a noticeable sigh...

"The Electra crew should be more mindful when visiting the galley."

Shorter pause...

"A restart without penalty is fine in this situation."
    Thank you very much Miss Nellie. I greatly apprecialte that.

I still have a problem though. I just fired up the Electra to do a test flight and I'm still not making a connection to the server.
    All the boxes are green, however when I go into the Settings page hit the Test Connection button and a message pops reading "Can't reach the server"? Hmmmm? Scratching my head.
    Murphy's law got me good this time........ back to the drawing board I'd say.

Fred

PS

Ladies and Gentlemen you are honored to be the first passengers on our brand new "fly by wire" airliner. There are no pilots or crew on board. This system is controled entirely by computers. Don't worry, sit back and relax, as this is a perfectly safe automated system that will take you from gate to gate and nothing can go wrong, can go wrong, can go wrong!

Fred,

We don't have control over the Duenna Server so cannot affect its status. (We have been fortunate that Johannes Mueller has kept it up for all of us to use.)

If you like, you can use your Duenna program (as it works on your hard disk) to authenticate your legs. You simply go to the Duenna's "Settings Page" and then un-tick the "Enable online flight tracking" box. Everything will be fine EXCEPT that you won't have the online server record as a backup documentation of your legs. The Duenna will work properly and it will 'pop up' after your leg with the proper documentation.

We shall monitor the Duenna Server to see if it spontaneously "reconnects" or if Johannes fixes it. But until then, we can continue nicely enough when each pilot uses his "off-line" Duenna program to authenticate.

Mike
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MM View Post
    Fred,

We don't have control over the Duenna Server so cannot affect its status. (We have been fortunate that Johannes Mueller has kept it up for all of us to use.)

If you like, you can use your Duenna program (as it works on your hard disk) to authenticate your legs. You simply go to the Duenna's "Settings Page" and then un-tick the "Enable online flight tracking" box. Everything will be fine EXCEPT that you won't have the online server record as a backup documentation of your legs. The Duenna will work properly and it will 'pop up' after your leg with the proper documentation.

We shall monitor the Duenna Server to see if it spontaneously "reconnects" or if Johannes fixes it. But until then, we can continue nicely enough when each pilot uses his "off-line" Duenna program to authenticate.

Mike
    Thanks Mike, I really appreciate your help. Seemed I knew what to do a couple years ago, since then many things have changed, software needed updated, FS9 needed some tweaking and updating.

So at this time think I solved the problem(s)......some computer dummy errors on my part.

I restored settings to prior time and Duenna is now fully updated, as is FSUIPC, which was out out of date as well.

I'm now getting the Connection ok, verfied login, awesome! message so looks good to go once again. I believe the problem was here in my copit and nothing to do with Johannes' site.

Going to try a test flight later this evening and if everything still looks good, we'll head out bright and early in the morning.

I'll keep that on-line tracking option open; however prefer to have my flights open for commitee scrutiny. ( We'll keep a couple of Bologa sandwiches and a thermos of coffee in the cockpit so we won't need to go back to the galley this time.)

Fred

OR0G - VIAL
    Departing 09300z
    ETE 11:00 Hours
    ETA 20:30z

I don't know what happened FS9 just shut down and rebooted.

I can't seem to find out what the problem is.

I'm about ready to through in the towel on this event.

Arghhhh!
    -Mike

Bummer. Hope you get things sorted.

Bummer. Hope you get things sorted.
    I believe I have. After and extensive search I found various Duenna files (dated) in three different folder locations at two different permission levels. I now onlyl have one and Duenna recognises the path.

I then made a 6 1/2 hour test flight using Duenna (off line tracking) and the result was rock solid.

I now truely believe thae problem has been solved.........or.....perhaps famous last words.

I hope you got your computer up and running and you finish in Melbourne.

I'm going to give it another try here in a day or so.

Fred

Members who have read this thread: 0