Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dil52 heading out

Giving it another try

Darwin to Charlevillev

YPDN -TBCV

Departing 01500z
    ETE 6 1/2 Hrs
    ETA 21:30z

Arrived safely in Charleville in the clouds and fog.
    We didn't see the field until we crossed over the NDB, banked and spotted it out of the side window.

Flight Time: 6:22:21
    Routine Ground Time: 00:45:00
    Special Ground Time: 00:00:00
    Penalty Time: 00:00:00

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FlightLog_12-47-19.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	15152FlightLog_12-47-19.TXT

We really gave the crowd in Charleville a thrill watching us slipping to loose altitude fast, make a steep 180 degree steep bank turn, and land halfway down R/W 30!

We plan to leave as soon as the crews add a bit of aviation fuel, check the tires, wipe the sweat off the yoke, and (ahem) clean the seats.

I hope the the fog will lift and clear up sometime today!

Charleville to Essendon (Melbourne)
    TBCV-YMEN
    Departing 2307z
    ETE 4 Hrs
    ETA 03:00z

Not much scenery or celestial navigation today.

Name:	Screenshot (22).jpg 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	15159

The skies have cleared! Hope this holds to the finish.

Name:	Screenshot (23).png 
Size:	367.2 KB 
ID:	15161

Beautiful day nice tail wind, son called wants to meet for dinner in an hour and a half, got to fly this leg later!

Blue skies all!

See you later.

Fred
    Last edited by Dil52; November 15th, 2014 at 11:27. Reason: Change of plan

Departing for the finish.

Charleville to Essendon (Melbourne)

TBCV-YMEN
    Departing 2307z
    ETE 4 Hrs
    ETA 03:00z

Icon22

Inspirational .... cutting through and pushing through all the crap you had to deal with to get to the end.

Thanks for the help with my review and the fine example of perseverance that you have given to all of us .... much like the entrants displayed in the real deal.

All the best to ya mate ... Great Job!
    salt_air

We’ve arrived in Melbourne!

YBCV-WMEN
    Flight Time: 03:25:50
    Routine Ground Time: 00:00:00
    Special Ground Time: 00:00:00
    Penalty Time: 00:00:00

Name:	FlightLog_08-57-06.JPG 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	15224FlightLog_08-57-06.TXT

Congratulations!
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Quote Originally Posted by salt_air View Post
    Inspirational .... cutting through and pushing through all the crap you had to deal with to get to the end.

Thanks for the help with my review and the fine example of perseverance that you have given to all of us .... much like the entrants displayed in the real deal.

All the best to ya mate ... Great Job!
    Thanks Austin
    However, I must admit, you’re the inspiration! Anyone who jumps in an aircraft that averaages about 105knots, on a goood day, and flies almost half way around the world has been more than enough to inspire! Even with three lock-ups after several hours I won't have near the cockpit time you'll have when you've completed not both, but jsut one of your two entries. Yikes!

I’ve done some research on the FS locking up. I have another theory, with the emphasis on “theory” about the FS lockups. In the FSUIPC setting/miscellaneous, I did not have the option “Keep FS clock syn’d to real time” checked. I’m thinking perhaps the since FS runs slower than the computer time that after a few hours it can make Duenna think that you’re not active or something to that affect. Anyway, the last correction I made was to check the option above and haven’t had the problem in three flights now . I’ve read other posts in various FS simulator web sites where some folks are saying that FSX has stopped after about 6 hours. Those problems could be related who knows. I’m going to check on Pete Dawson’s message boards for more information when I get a chance. Again just one more change that I found.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Congratulations!
    Thanks Willy, good to see you here and the same Congrats go out to you sir! I don't mind I do have one of those!
    Last edited by Dil52; November 16th, 2014 at 06:35.

We were lucky to get a (high noon) latitude fix on the sun along with a longitudinal fix shot of the moon today at 11:05:00 AM (2:05:00z).
    It's not often that we see the sun 0 degrees north instead of 180 degrees south of us at high noon.

Celestial Navigation Data for 2014 Nov 16 at 2:05:00 UT

For Assumed Position:
    Latitude S 37 45.0
    Longitude E 144 55.0SUN 215 04.9 S18 40.6 +70 55.6 0.0 Zn
    MOON 286 38.9 N 4 59.3 +11 17.7 285.5 ZN

A nice and somewhat rare daytime moon sighting today!

Name:	Screenshot (30).png 
Size:	256.3 KB 
ID:	15231

The resultant shots indicating our position of 95nm north and 5 miles east of Melbourne.

Name:	Screenshot (31).png 
Size:	325.0 KB 
ID:	15232

So why are we flying south west at 176 degrees instead of south east you may ask?
    The reason is that we have an 11 degree magnetic deviation at this location also showing on the sextant graph.

Believe it or not, this is exactly what I was shooting for during the whole flight, which explains some of the frustration after some comp. mishaps.
    The moon has been visible during day light hours for quite a few days early this month.
    It is also rare that the phases are about the same as what you see at the present time this month
    in FS9.
    The rise and set of the moon's time in all FS versions is accurate, however the phases are probably different.
    You may not be seeing the same moon phases in FSX at this time. I don't know I haven't checked.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    Congrats Fred!
    Thank You Moses and to all here at SOH who have worked so hard to accommodate all of us pilots who have participated in the event.

There’s absolutely no doubt that it has taken a hours and hours of research, planning, testing of various aircraft, and compiling this statistically accurate spreadsheet.

For me, It has presented both a very fun (when the computer cooperated) and challenging experience.

I’ve always been a history buff and especially enjoy flying the Golden Age aircraft.

Please pass along my sincerest gratitude to all who have put in the time and especially to "Miss Nellie} who has had to sift through all the paper work to calculate the results of all the pilots logs.

Salute! Cheers! Bravo and Tally Ho to ya!

A Quote I found. "Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by robert41 View Post
    Well done Fred. Congrats.
    Thank You Robert! We're expecting to see here in Melbourne soon!

Congrats on the finish!
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

SOH-CM-2016
    Wow. I've had a couple of technical issues (PC lockups, FSX lockups, etc), but nothing compared to what you've had to deal with. Well done on persisting with it, and especially well done on that time! Looks like you're currently leading the standings in both the Speed and the Handicap Golden Age categories.
    Martin (FS RTW Race pilot 2009-19)
    Win7 x64 | MSI X79A-GD65 | Intel Core i7-3820 Quad-Core 3.60 GHz | 16GB DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB

Great stuff with the star navigation, Fred!
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

SOH-CM-2017
    Excellent Run. Very well done!
    Jeff
    "Providence Permittin"

Quote Originally Posted by paiken View Post
    Congrats on the finish!
    Thank You paiken! I noticed you had a Happy Birthday along the way! Hope you didn't celebrate too much and miss your flight departure time.

I have the GTX-660 here as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Spookster67 View Post
    Wow. I've had a couple of technical issues (PC lockups, FSX lockups, etc), but nothing compared to what you've had to deal with. Well done on persisting with it, and especially well done on that time! Looks like you're currently leading the standings in both the Speed and the Handicap Golden Age categories.
    Thanks Martin. these are only early results. There are pllenty of great pilots including yourself yet to finish.

I was sorry to see you had a tough time with the mountains in Iran.

That was our slowest time of all. We had to climb to about 10,500' in around an hour and a half just to get high enough to weave through the canyons.

Name:	OR0G-VIAL5.jpg 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	15322

Good Luck finishing! The first one's on me.

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    Great stuff with the star navigation, Fred!
    Thank you Paul. I can' not imagine flying that Gee Bee with the short wheel bases and a peice of metal hanging down off the tail. That is truely a Tail Dragger, or should we say tail slider!( no wheel) in its purest form.

It's a tricky little beast to land, but I'm getting that hang of it, sort of...
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    It's a tricky little beast to land, but I'm getting that hang of it, sort of...
    And when it's got you feeling a sense of security because you've "got the hang of it", that's when it strikes like a snake.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    And when it's got you feeling a sense of security because you've "got the hang of it", that's when it strikes like a snake.
    We blew out a tire landing in Allahabad when we hit a piece of rubble from one of those Bee Gees (ah I mean Gee Bees) that didn't quite grease the landing.

Guess I must of had tee many martonies! or was it those Sligapore Sings?

Members who have read this thread: 0