Avro Lincoln
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Avro Lincoln

Avro Lincoln

I am not sure if this has been mentioned but the Virtavia's Lincoln is now available at the flightsimstore.
    Last edited by noddy; October 29th, 2014 at 01:16.

Ooo.. cheers Noddy

ATB
    DaveB

Thanks for the hu Noddy! I'll be on this tonight. Wonder if we might see a "Bear" to add to the Cold War??
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Will definitely have to check this out. There's a Lincoln at my local airbase (Cosford). I remember the first time I ever stood underneath the open bomb bay and thinking how large it was.
    "There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss"
    — Douglas Adams, 'The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy'

One of the coolest Lincoln photos:

Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

At first glance I'm thinkin'....cool low pass.....then I see what appears to be 3 props feathered!!!! What the........!!!

Steve

They did the same thing with the Lancaster as well, for publicity to show the power/control of these aircraft, even with just one engine.

Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

Some screenshots:

SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Curious collection, they list the MR.31 as operated by the RAAF (coincidentally as flown by my Father) but it appears to be the original airframe, not definitive 'long nose', so this is one I'll pass for now.
    Shame really.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Charter Member 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    Curious collection, they list the MR.31 as operated by the RAAF (coincidentally as flown by my Father) but it appears to be the original airframe, not definitive 'long nose', so this is one I'll pass for now.
    Shame really.

Looking at the pictures on their webpage the MR.31 version has a long nose

http://www.virtavia.com/gallery_Lincoln.html#

Looks like a well made replication of the Lincoln, great to see that many models and textures as part of the package. Quite interesting the way the Brits used the Lincoln for counter insurgency warfare in Africa and the far east...

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Quote Originally Posted by JensOle View Post
    Looks like a well made replication of the Lincoln, great to see that many models and textures as part of the package. Quite interesting the way the Brits used the Lincoln for counter insurgency warfare in Africa and the far east...
    The correct long nosed MR31 is indeed included Jens, it wasn't on the retailers page.
    Thanks for the HU.
    Now I will have to purchase it.

Both the RAF and the RAAF carpet bombed areas of jungle during the so called 'Malayan Emergency' resulting (in my Father's words) the creation of tons of 'toothpicks' and a number of dead Elephants, the RAF operated in a similar fashion in Kenya during the the Mau Mau Uprising with similar results, although they claimed some 500+ Mau Mau killed.
    The long nose version was not very popular with aircrew, Dad was very pleased to transit onto Neptunes, as visibility 'over the nose' of the MR.31 was little or none!
    Australian built Lincolns were aluminum doped overall, resulting in a uniform 'silver' finish.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

anyone tried it in Prepar3d I've asked Virtavia but they haven't tested it in anything other than FSX?

Quote Originally Posted by CavOk View Post
    anyone tried it in Prepar3d I've asked Virtavia but they haven't tested it in anything other than FSX?
    I flew it during testing in P3D v1.4 and it worked fine. Don't have v2 so can't vouch for that but expect it to work there as well.

I just got it and I really like it :-) All over good detail level and a nice selection of models (Only miss a big belly radar model with the top turret..). Thanks to Virtavia (I was about to say alphasim..) for bringing this lost bomber into FSX.

Tempted to make a repaint for one of the Lincoln which flew with the "Radar Recce Flight" in the early 50s on missions towards Soviet. It must have been rather scary to fly the slow Lincoln and knowing you were facing Mig-15's...

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Based on the photos above you might make it back home on only one engine. As long as those Mig cannons didn't blow a whole wing off. As wide as these wings were you might still make it home. And of course there were friendly ports along the way.

Lincoln B.II SX991 of the Radar Recce Flight, 1951. This aircraft conducted several very sensitive flights in the early 50's around the borders of Soviet and Warsaw pack countries to take radar pictures of scenery features for attack planning for the V-Force.

Compared to the virtavia paintkit many stencils and other decals have been added.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    Based on the photos above you might make it back home on only one engine. As long as those Mig cannons didn't blow a whole wing off. As wide as these wings were you might still make it home. And of course there were friendly ports along the way.
    That is the problem with the Mig-15... the 37mm cannon had a nasty habit of blowing bombers out of the sky.. Actually one Lincoln was sadly shot down by Soviet Migs when flying into Berlin even if it was in one of the flight corridors. The story has it that one of the Migs even strafed the 2 RAF aircrews which managed to bail out and killed them.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Updated RF555

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Here's a good story from a Lincoln pilot that served with the RAAF and who flew the long-nosed Lincoln: http://www.radschool.org.au/magazines/Vol40/Page7.htm
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

I like your updates Jens-Ole. It's all in the details.

Could Virtavia please have a look at the H2S radome on model Virtavia Lincoln 2 ( the RF555 aircraft ). Compared to the radomes on the other models, it is very crude and low poly - maybe it got overlooked as the models were refined. It is particularly noticeable when viewed from head on. The other models' radomes are fine.

Also, can Virtavia please look at the pitch trim wheel in the VC - it rotates in the wrong direction when applying nose-up or nose-down trim.

Thank you.

Paul K,
    Please open a support ticket so Phil can be made aware of your concerns.

mal

Members who have read this thread: 1