Concorde X

Thread: Concorde X

Concorde X

So I've been toying around with the idea of buying the Concorde X from Flightsim Labs. But I'm not sure if my computer can handle it, and I don't wanna blow $90 for a plane I wont be able to thoroughly enjoy. My computer is a few years old, Intel core i3 processor, Intel(R) HD Graphics Family video card, 6 GB of RAM, Windows 7 64-bit. The only thing I'm worried about is my processor. What do you guys think? Can my computer handle it?

I would be concerned about your processor and your graphics card. While I've read that FSX is primarily a CPU-intensive application (versus being reliant more-so on the GPU), I would take both into account.

What's the clock rate of the CPU? Also, can you provide more info on the graphics card, because it sounds like you have on-board graphics rather than a dedicated unit, is this correct?

How does FSX perform for you now, say for example using the default Cessna 172 over a moderately detailed area? Frame rates, graphics settings, etc?

I would recommend at least an i5 (I use an i5-2500k @ 3.3GHz overclocked to 4.8GHz), and a dedicated graphics card (preferably from Nvidia).

Here are my settings:
    FPS limit 90
    Scenery Settings
    Detail Radius Medium
    Mesh Complexity 50
    Mesh Resolution 19 M
    Texture Resolution 15 CM
    Scenery Complexity Very dense
    Autogen Density None
    Weather Medium Low
    Traffic: Everything just above none. I'll probably end up making all the traffic settings none- traffic isn't too important to me

Flight with default Cessna 172 in default scenery KLCI (NH) Default weather- 50-70 FPS. With live weather its 50-60 FPS
    In Megascenery RI KPVD with live weather- 50-60 FPS
    My CPU runs at 2.20 GHz. Can't find too much info on my graphics card

Blog Entries
    Ryan,
    I have Concorde X, and I don't even have it installed. My rig is also a few years old, i7 920 at 3.4, GTX 580 & 12 Gb ram. Concorde X appears to me as an "old" frame rate heavy model, that has never been upgraded to modern standards, which is a shame really. I find it difficult to imagine that the latest state of the art computers will run this at a satisfactory level. If I were you, I'd save my money.

Ian

I'm also thinking of buying that Concorde, and just like you guys, my computer is quite old: i7 960 @ 3,7GHz, and a GTX480...
    I understand the Concorde model is a bit outdated. But it seems to me that there isn't any other alternative, right ? And I haven't heard of any Concorde in development at the moment...
    So it's either Concorde X, or nothing...

By the way: does it work in P3D ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    I'm also thinking of buying that Concorde, and just like you guys, my computer is quite old: i7 960 @ 3,7GHz, and a GTX480...
    I understand the Concorde model is a bit outdated. But it seems to me that there isn't any other alternative, right ? And I haven't heard of any Concorde in development at the moment...
    So it's either Concorde X, or nothing...

By the way: does it work in P3D ?
    I've never tried it in P3D, but I doubt it will work, there are so many "extra's" that run outside the simulation. Might be worth a try, but I certainly don't think it will be a simple job of copying it from FSX to P3Dv2.4 (I keep both installed).

Ian

Daube, if it works at all in P3D, you would probably only be able to fly it by hand. If you could even get the engines started. It has a virtual flight engineer that does engine/fuel management, and it most likely wouldn't work in P3D, so if all you have is P3D, I wouldn't risk spending the money. I made the same mistake on the Just Flight Concorde! Only I was hoping I could just run the installer to unzip the files to a temporary folder since I don't have FS2004, then copy the files to FSX manually. Didn't work.....

Also there are freeware Concordes out there, but all of them seem to be just mediocre. Either the flight dynamics are too unrealistic, or the wing shape isn't quite right (although to be fair it is a complex shape to model), or the nose doesn't seem to droop enough from outside, or the VC is lacking detail or has blacked out areas, etc. There is a Concorde sound file file you can download from Simviation that sounds pretty good though.

I'm aware of the freeware birds, but they are in FS9 format, so I can't use them in P3D.
    Having external systems is not always a show stopper for P3D. The Accusim planes work flawlessly for example. But yes, there are a lot of examples that do NOT work, so it's not safe to buy before having a confirmation.

I made some research on this topic.
    From a topic on the official forums, the Concorde X systems are using some 'FSX-hacks'. Such things usually don't work anymore in the recent versions of P3D. So I guess we can forget the Concorde X for P3D for the moment.
    Sorry for the off topic.

So there is only 2 options left for you if you want a native FSX/P3D Concorde...

Sorry couldn't resist...
    Top image is the Tupolev Concordski of course...
    Bottom image is the Concorde Repairman
    (Dépanneur actually means "convenient store" here in my hometown).

Members who have read this thread: 1