rwhsim Rob's Springbok flys to Melbourne to meet a Wallaby - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: rwhsim Rob's Springbok flys to Melbourne to meet a Wallaby

BAIL at Takeoff

Had to bail, when after takeoff realised my instruments were all screwed up, headings all opposite to whisky compass. Cannot do a leg across Timor without directional instruments working properly! Think it is because I slewed to the opposite end of the runway for the wind cf what was in the saved flight. Somehow this locks up the instruments. Ruling?

OK trying again, here we go.

Checking in to OZ

Arrived at YPRP. OZ at Last. Yep headwinds all the way, later part of the leg on the nose at 15 kts. Did not do my time any good, and did not help not changing to a slightly more easterly coarse before picking up BGT. Arrived west of Darwin, and had to dog-leg it across to RW 300. Oh well I had predicted 5 hrs 10min, should be happy with 4:58. Boring leg, that's for sure, nothing to do but check fuel consumption, and see what shapes one could make out off the odd towering CB.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FlightLog_19-28-37.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	15221FlightLog_19-28-37.TXT

http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFli...b2CqR7CstQJagA

Flight Time: 04:58:55
    Routine Ground Time: 00:45:00
    Special Ground Time: 00:00:00
    Penalty Time: 00:00:00

Do I need to approach Picadilly 119 re: the aborted departure. I would class it as a crash on take-off due to system failure (the failure of P3D thingy to reset instrument directions when orientation of plane is changed (slewing to into wind runway because of ASN wind change, then unslewing to set for start), without saving and then reloading the flight situation. Once out of Slew, it should reset electrical instruments to current headings, without a re-load, surely. Power was off until starting up for flight, but even then instruments did not "spin" to align with whisky compass direction, and I failed to notice this). Only noted after takeoff that everything was indicating in reverse!
    Last edited by rwhsim; November 16th, 2014 at 03:59. Reason: Edit leg time

Off to Tennant Creek

Taking off YPRP for YTNK

In the Outback

Landed safely at YTNK. Flew low (4000ft) cos weathermen said that would be the best for winds, and had cross-winds all the way. Lot of bumping around as those early afternoon thermals kicked in - becoming worse as the ground cover faded away to nothing over that great red desert outback. Updrafts of 1000ft/min, so was able to do some thermal surfing - just had to watch out for exceeding VNE!

Name:	FlightLog_00-49-48.JPG 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	15234FlightLog_00-49-48.TXT

http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFli...6NFFiL2qjZtmOg

Flight Time: 02:44:34
    Last edited by rwhsim; November 16th, 2014 at 09:08. Reason: Updraft rate 1000ft/min not 100!

Quote Originally Posted by rwhsim View Post

Do I need to approach Picadilly 119 re: the aborted departure. I would class it as a crash on take-off due to system failure (the failure of P3D thingy to reset instrument directions when orientation of plane is changed (slewing to into wind runway because of ASN wind change, then unslewing to set for start), without saving and then reloading the flight situation. Once out of Slew, it should reset electrical instruments to current headings, without a re-load, surely. Power was off until starting up for flight, but even then instruments did not "spin" to align with whisky compass direction, and I failed to notice this). Only noted after takeoff that everything was indicating in reverse!
    No need to disturb Miss Nellie on the aborted start. Please press on.

Towards The Great Dividing Range

Departing YTNK for Charleville YBCV. Headwinds again, but apparently not too bad at 8000ft (better at 12000 feet but no can do!).

Reporting in at Charleville

Strong headwinds for first part of leg, then pleasant surprise around Boulia picked up tailwinds! Helped speed to get up to 200Kts GS at times (rare for this bird!). Pity about the navigation error (105 set instead of 115 UUUGHH - fortunate to be playing with my E6B and wondering why I had such a HUGE wind offset when I only needed 1 degree, and wrong way anyhow for wind direction). Managed to compensate, maybe a bit too much.

Name:	FlightLog_23-27-59.JPG 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	15396FlightLog_23-27-59.TXT

http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFli...IgqX4NcUHskrVA

Flight Time: 04:14:00

Not too far now!

Off to Essendon

Taking off YBCV for YMEN.

As I had hoped for the high pressure system over Aus. moved slightly west overnight, bringing strong winds blowing from the north down over Eastern Australia. Should help to have tailwinds at last!

May "Mother Nature" be with you! Bring that 3 home!
    Roman

Arrived At Essendon

Expected winds materialized, and for the first time managed to get this "collection of parts flying in tight formation" to cover the ground at over 200Kts! This ship kicks and wallows in a tail wind, but rather that than be slowed down. Tense end to the run when my one "screen" blacked out - made accessing certain key panels real fun!

Name:	FlightLog_23-53-14.JPG 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	15467FlightLog_23-53-14.TXT

http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFli...AKdw7o9GvbApxg

Flight Time: 03:31:21

Looks like I made it in a HC time of just under 50 hours. Now if this Rookie had not got lost and stuck etc, would have been a good time. My contribution was to the realism of this great adventure - someone had to get lost, stuck and add some drama to replicate 1934! Very enjoyable trip and learned a lot. Will write more later - right now I am bushed, and want to head over to that party that is still going on a Flemington Race Course that I glimpsed as I turned to land RW35. Fosters are needed.

Welcome to Melbourne!

Well Done rw!
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Rob,

Congrats on a well run race! Bravo Zulu!
    Roman

SOH-CM-2017

Icon26

Busy day in Melbourne today. Congrats on your finish. Well Done!
    Jeff
    "Providence Permittin"

Epilogue

First off, a big thank you to the Organisers, Administration and Miss Nellie for putting on this event, and giving so unselfishly of their time ! Thanks also to JimmyRFR for encouragement to carry on when I was so ready to throw in the towel at Z13T, and to Spokes2112 (Roman) for identifying the source of the problem, allowing trouble-free flights from then onwards.

What an adventure, and it sure raised my level of awareness and appreciation of the feats accomplished by the 1934 pilots! Moments of tranquility admiring the passing scenery, interspersed with times of intense concentration managing turbulence, fuel usage, engine temps, other times managing boredom, and yet other times of sheer white-knuckle terror / anxiety lost in dense fog or surrounded by cloud knowing there is solid rock not far ahead or just off the wing tips! And elation at every successful landing. All emotions I think these pilots went through, probably a hundred-fold at times.

What I really liked about this event is that we have participants using FS9, FSX and P3D, no one-upmanship about software, just getting on with flying and having fun; and all systems doing what is needed!

I was also amazed at the level of realism that is now available in our hobby. For too long I have been cruising at 30000 feet plus, hardly looking out the window. Flying low-and-slow and getting a chance to see the simulated world was an experience in itself. It was great to be able to identify geographic features on the maps, in the actual sim, and be able to navigate by them. They say a Geologist should never get lost, with their map-reading skills; well provided we can see the ground that is, and its not just one huge expanse of water or covered with urban clutter, and Indians do not go removing entire rivers! Initially I used direct legs to NDB, but soon only used those NDBs directly on-route, with off-route abeam NDBs for timing positions and cross-checks. Mostly I was able to use mountains, hills, rivers, roads and coastline features to stay on track. Remarkable 3D Geographic Systems our sims are!

In P3D there was also that cockpit ambience of shadowing, and cloud shadows playing over the terrain, that all made for extra immersion. As for weather, well we have all experienced a right-real mix of that on this trip, and how it keeps one on one's toes.

Great stuff, and thanks again to all, including the other participants. To those yet to finish, see you soon at Essendon!

Name:	TurnCrosswindFlemington.jpg 
Size:	126.7 KB 
ID:	15515

Springbok Flying Safaris ZS-GPL turns cross-wind final to Essendon RW35, just north of Fleminington Racecourse. Wanted to buzz that finish line, but getting an under 50hr HC time was on my mind so decided against that.

Have "Gbs" (whatever that is) of movies that Lady Jane took; she will be off to the cutting room at some time I guess to make her documentary. Since she funded the last half of the trip from her pocket money (rich kids!), I hope the movie is a hit for her sake. Father Goldrich was at Essendon to see her safely "home", and seems he has forgiven her for her stubbornness in refusing to quit the flight at Z13T, against his wishes.

Members who have read this thread: 0