rwhsim Rob's Springbok flys to Melbourne to meet a Wallaby - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: rwhsim Rob's Springbok flys to Melbourne to meet a Wallaby

Well relieved to see that no major damage if any at all to the airframe. Last image taken by cockpit camera, just as Duenna popped up, and at complete stop, shows the port wing just short of a poplar tree, and no nose over! Props and engines fine. Lord Goldrich will be relieved at not having to fork out thousand of pounds for repairs!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JaskCrash.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	14397

Departing Jask

Taking off OIZJ for VIJO

Landed VIJO

Another permafig--n Landing at VIJO. Almost flew right past just to the south of Jodhpur. First 200nm or so out of Jask very turbulent, fresh winds from the west barreling along the valleys and ridges I guess, as no clouds around.

Name:	FlightLog_01-29-08.JPG 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	14519FlightLog_01-29-08.TXT

http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFli...NIzvYGjdzl7tNI

Flight Time: 04:22:45
    Routine Ground Time: 00:45:00
    Special Ground Time: 00:00:00
    Penalty Time: 00:00:00

Off to Allalhabad

Crew do not want to spend another night in Jodhpur; accommodation not so good here. Good tail winds today apparently, and VIAL reports good visibility. Messrs ASN disagree and predict fog/smoke/smog/dust with vis 3-7SM max. Here we go again!

Taking off VIJO for VIAL

In Allahabad but wrong airport and Stuck

Landed in Error at Z13T

Name:	FlightLog_01-03-10.JPG 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	14599FlightLog_01-03-10.TXT

http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFli...xS9Ftmege7Sd7Y

Flight Time: 02:34:12

Once I realized my error, I set up again at Z13T, time 0.5 hour after landing, fuel as per Landing at Z13T.

But I cannot get off the ground! It is like someone has spread quickset epoxy on the runways at Z13T (Yes checked brakes are OFF!).
    Full throttle, full RPM, to point of burning out the engines, the plane just creeps forward (barely).
    This has happened to me before in P3D even in non-Van Hees scenery - Something goes wrong with the ground-friction model at some places.

Tried three restarts to no avail, and all runways at Z13T are the same.

So folks it looks like my race has come to an end. I simply cannot budge from here .
    Have made too many simple Nav mistakes anyhow, even for a Rookie!

I hereby, sadly, have to submit my retirement from the Golden Era Race as, other than refly the whole leg again, there is no way I can even get just across town from Z13T!

Rob

Rob, I'm sure that the Miss Nellie would see fit to establish a ruling that would allow you to continue. It seems a shame to retire after coming so far, especially when it is due to something outside of your control. Post your case in the Piccadilly thread and see!

Cable:
    From 119 Piccadilly
    Re: Stuck in Allahabad
    Suggest patience and restraint. Mr. Williams and Tech Staff investigating. Have crew rest and will communicate soonest. Do not annoy India Mil. personnel with excessive engine noise.

L-M Staff
    ------------------

Quote Originally Posted by rwhsim View Post
    Landed in Error at Z13T

Name:	FlightLog_01-03-10.JPG 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	14599FlightLog_01-03-10.TXT

http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFli...xS9Ftmege7Sd7Y

Flight Time: 02:34:12

Once I realized my error, I set up again at Z13T, time 0.5 hour after landing, fuel as per Landing at Z13T.

But I cannot get off the ground! It is like someone has spread quickset epoxy on the runways at Z13T (Yes checked brakes are OFF!).
    Full throttle, full RPM, to point of burning out the engines, the plane just creeps forward (barely).
    This has happened to me before in P3D even in non-Van Hees scenery - Something goes wrong with the ground-friction model at some places.

Tried three restarts to no avail, and all runways at Z13T are the same.

So folks it looks like my race has come to an end. I simply cannot budge from here .
    Have made too many simple Nav mistakes anyhow, even for a Rookie!

I hereby, sadly, have to submit my retirement from the Golden Era Race as, other than refly the whole leg again, there is no way I can even get just across town from Z13T!

Rob

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Escape from Z13T

The commander of the air-base Z13T has just marched into the barracks, and in his best Indian English, informed us he wants the crew and that "civilian junk" off his field pronto. He is hosting an airshow to show of the RAF's finest fighter aircraft (a couple of Hawker Fury's), and a plane that has no part in "military" duties will not "be good form" to have around. He has hired some Buffalo to drag the "Goonie" to an appropriate runway "one with a headwind, haw-haw-haw, so you discovered you need a headwind! What remote corner of the Commonwealth Empire did you get your license in!" (I think Stick must have given him the idea about using Buffaloes - as long as the tail wheel was unlocked, damage should be minimal!).

So Off for a short trip to VIAL

Time Calcs for Leg Z13T to VIAL

Flight Time: 00:06:16 (Z13T to VIAL)
    Routine Ground Time: 00:00:00
    Special Ground Time: 38:36:32 (take off post VIJO Nov 6th 15:26 to Landing Post VIAL Nov 8th 08:43 = 41:17:00 - flight time VIJO to VIAL (2:40:28) = 38:36:32 in detention at Z13T

I shall not plead at 119 Picadilly for the Special Ground Time to be reduced at all, because;

• Although a crosswind take off should be possible in a DC 3 (at time of landing at Z13T, wind was 321 at 6kts, gives a HW=0, TW=0, LW=6, RW=0 on Runway heading 050), a good pilot would have selected a more favorable runway for takeoff, and as Stick has said over some whiskey, "why not just get some Buffaloes to haul that Goonie by the tail-wheel over to a better position". Had I done this I would not have experienced the issue, and wasted a day researching down scenery-related dead-ends to discover the issue was a simple as wind-direction vs aircraft facing.
    • The issue appears to be a problem with certain aircraft ported into Prepar3D. The MAAM SIM DC3 is the worst, probably because it has an FS9 heritage. Similar, though not as bad behavior occurs with other planes (FSX port overs). The behavior does not affect the Manfred Jahn DC3 at all (since the airfile for that plane is programmed for FSX by the master wizard of flight-dynamicsm Alexander M. Metzger). The cause of getting stuck is thus open for debate, and I have no independent verification of this problem (until another user tries to use the MAAM SIM DC3 in P3D, which I should guess, most would be reluctant to try, and I don't blame them at all). I am hesitant to concern Messrs Lockheed and Co. with the issue, as it probably relates more to "outdated planes" than to their new engine.
    • My fault for choosing a plane that was most likely to be THE most incompatible with P3D!
    • Miss Nellie has enough on her plate, without having to fathom this P3D engine "thingy" out.

Provided I can find a new sponsor (Lord Goldrich has "pulled the plug" in despair at "these pilots who are experts only at getting lost"! His daughter, although mad as a snake and last seen marching off towards the tenst at VIAL, ahs her own "mind" and seems to want to continue her adventure - maybe she has a separate bank account!), we shall plod onwards, with a new goal of making Melbourne on a Handicap score of under 100 hours !
    Last edited by rwhsim; November 8th, 2014 at 00:32. Reason: Edit Date of Landing post

Problem Solved

Thanks to Spokes2112 the real cause of the getting stuck issue with the MAAM SIM DC3 has been traced to an incorrect version of FSUIPC for P3D V2.4 (using 4.936c instead of 4.937b )

The ground-crews at airfields ahead en-route will be relieved, as will my co-pilot. Up to now I have had to remain stopped after landing, the co-pilot has had to hastily exit the ship and "sprint" across the field to report at the check-in tent ( I believe on occasion a member of the 1934 "Uiver" crew had to do same). The red tractor was then summoned to drag me off the runway to the re-fueling area at each stop over, and back to the runway for take-off on the next leg. Now I shall be able to taxi, which will be much faster than my co-pilot can run (over the years the quantity of beers he has consumed has let to his being rather "rotund").

Now to find time to continue onwards!

Rob

Wash the aircraft and check the oil, then go flying.
    Miss Nellie has ruled on the matter with some compassion
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...l=1#post916291
    and you are cleared to go forward. The relevant Race Logbooks have been amended accordingly.

R

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Miss Nellie and L-M Administration - Thank you

A most generous settlement, and the donation to the Indian Air Force Benevolent Fund on our behalf absolutely acceptable. The crew will make every effort to refund the Race Authorities for this expense.

At the moment the Captain has been called away to a land somewhat further East of India to attend to certain obligations, including the raising of a reasonable amount of cash to continue the adventure, and is scheduled to return Wednesday, when, weather permitting, the team will proceed onwards.

Thank You

Trying for VYYY

Time to move on.

Going to try to make VIAL-VYYY; based on my fuel consumption so far should be good to just make the 957nm required (range of 1060nm), especially if I throttle back a bit. Weather forecast is for weak tail winds at 8000ft, becoming crosswinds for final part of the leg, so should be OK. May have to bail to VECC, or VYSW if things look tight. At the moment VYYY is reporting - you guessed - FOG! - with 800m visibility. Hope in the 5+ hours to get there the sun burns that away a bit.

Taking off VIAL-VYYY

VYYY Landed

Down safely at VYYY. Another foggy, sub-VFR approach - if that was 8000m visiblity as per the METAR, I would hate to see 1000 and less! Otherwise flight nice and smooth. First time I called Sperry into action. No way I was going to hold course manually for those hours across the Bay of Bengal. Landed with just over 100 Gals of fuel to spare, good for another half hour of flying in reserve, 1000nm just do-able.

Name:	FlightLog_14-35-12.JPG 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	14970FlightLog_14-35-12.TXT

http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFli...WxQgeGxhLSxllU

Off to see the Shwedagon Pegoda with its gold-plated spires, several kgs of it, tipped with 5448 diamonds (now that would fund my trip!); Then off to the British Club for a slap-up meal.

Off to Malaysia

Departing VYYY for WMKA.
    Over some familiar territory this leg.

Down Safe at WMKA

Nice flight; pretty clear weather so could take in some scenery, and try to spot any tigers. Scattered thunderstorms over southern Thailand, but cleared up for landing - and Yipeee!!! NO FOG!
    Missed the puddles on landing at Alor Star, but hey where is everyone?

Name:	FlightLog_12-44-05.JPG 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	15079FlightLog_12-44-05.TXT

http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFli...pNUXbDnHBLu84I

Oops nearly forgot:

Flight Time: 03:54:13
    Last edited by rwhsim; November 13th, 2014 at 21:04. Reason: Add time log

Off to Raffles for Friday Drinks

No much to do around Alor Star. May as well head on to Singapore where Friday evenings are sure to be more lively.

Taking of WMKA for WSSL

Quote Originally Posted by rwhsim View Post
    No much to do around Alor Star. May as well head on to Singapore where Friday evenings are sure to be more lively.

Taking of WMKA for WSSL
    I was lucky enough to stay at the old Raffles Hotel for 4 months back in 1984 until my family found a place to live in Singapore ... good times!

Singapore Yay!

Landed safely at WSSL. Thunderstorms pretty much all the way, plus turbulence. Slowed me down a bit. Cleared up nicely for a good view on landing of Singapore.

Name:	FlightLog_23-29-32.JPG 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	15094FlightLog_23-29-32.TXT

http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFli...F9G01ktLQTR1Dw

Flight Time: 02:02:27

Now definitely off to town for a few drinks. Last chance before hitting Australia!

Off to WIHH

Well one takes the weather of the day I guess. Have to move on over this weekend.

Rain-soaked Seletar airfield this morning, and preping for early morning takeoff thre are still thunderstrom in the area. Jakarta looks fogged in at the moment, lets hope it clears over the next 3 hours. Winds aloft, well the weather men say cross to headwinds - oh well!

Fine-looking women here in Singapore. Was thinking of getting one of them to come along with us to serve our food and drinks (replace our purser "Vetkoek" Nel), but that could start a trend. Next thing we know we will have passenger "liners" all over the world with in-cabin "hostesses", a distraction I'd think - would have to be rules about cockpit access!

Off we go!

Safe at WIHH

Bumpy flight, thunderstorms pretty much all the way. Fog at sea off the coast of Jakarta, but cleared up over land.

Name:	FlightLog_15-08-04.JPG 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	15134FlightLog_15-08-04.TXT

http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFli...pqNd1ndJDyYKtM

Flight Time: 02:51:20

Off for a bite to eat, check flight plan and weather while they refuel, and then will be off to Rambang.

Off to Tour The Volcanoes

Departing WIHH for Rambung (WADR). Should be a scenic flight over those high volcanoes, as long as one of them does not decide to let off steam.

Landed Rambang

Down safely at Rambang (Van Hees airfield some 29nm ESE of WRRA/WADA)

Very scenic leg past those majestic volcanoes, both old dormant and blasted out calderas, younger conical active peaks. Rain showers intermittent the whole way.

Name:	FlightLog_20-59-59.JPG 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	15137

FlightLog_20-59-59.TXT

http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ShowFli...KU4e3ZIIvaLkx0

Flight Time: 03:42:42

Think I will take a break here, looks rustic, and the accommodation comfortable. Tomorrow will head on, and hope to make Australia.

Heading for OZ

Early morning departure Rambang, heading for YPRP. At this stage its not so much the teeth of sharks that concern me but the bite of the headwinds predicted for the route!

Taking off WADR - YPRP

Members who have read this thread: 0