Jimmy's Quest to See a Kangaroo - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jimmy's Quest to See a Kangaroo

Departing El Tari for Darwin

Australia, here I come!

Down safe at YPRP

Definition of a boring flight, not exactly a lot of scenery to stare at! However, very happy to step foot in Australia. Going to see someone about a few pints of Foster's Lager, then going to start asking about kangaroo's.

Flight Time: 02:17:05
    Routine Ground Time: 00:45:00
    Special Ground Time: 00:00:00
    Penalty Time: 00:00:00

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FlightLog_23-16-01.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	14967

FlightLog_23-16-01.TXT

YPRP?? Yonder Purple Roo Port! You found one!

Departing Darwin for Tennant Creek

Time to start my trek through the fabled Outback! I've already tossed two snakes out from my plane, I sure hope I found them all, after all, one should hate to have snakes on a plane.

On another note, I'm concerned a bit at the charts I have - the place name listed is Tennant Creek, but the locals are telling me the place is actually called Newcastle Waters!

Wow, really enjoying my low level flight into oz here. Very scenic, in a wide open sort of way.

My initial plans were to fly at 11,000 ft to stretch my fuel and travel all the way over to Cloncurry. Nasty looking headwinds up there nixed that idea, and I'm quite pleased that I changed my plans.

Down safe at YTNK

Great flight. Had a slight tailwind the entire way, enjoyed the scenery, and spent my time squinting out the windows to see if I'd scared up and kangaroos down there.

Flight Time: 02:20:05

(Kinda funny, I'd figured this leg out in my notes as 2:20; I guess being off by 5 seconds isn't that bad!!)

Name:	FlightLog_22-24-27.JPG 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	15077

FlightLog_22-24-27.TXT

Departing Tennant Creek for Cloncurry

I'm sure something bit me. I was checking things over quickly and I was doing a quick check of the tail skid. A snake? I sure hope not!

A quick fuel up and about to get in the air again. My slight tailwind is going to turn into a headwind on the course for Cloncurry, I think.

I'm really sure something bit me...

Down safe at YCCY

Well, whatever bit me must not of been too dangerous, since I'm still here. I'm sure the boys at that last airfield are having a good laugh at my expense. I was worried! I'd heard stories, you know.

It was another good flight. Very scenic. Bit of a headwind, but bearable. Had quite a bit of turbulence over the last 45 minutes or so.

Flight Time: 01:49:38

Name:	FlightLog_00-43-37.JPG 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	15082

FlightLog_00-43-37.TXT

Departing Cloncurry for Charleville

Getting a little weary, but enjoying this grand adventure thoroughly!

Downa safe at YBCV

Another pleasant flight. I'm enjoying these legs much more than the ones through Persia to India and down into SE Asia. No thunderstorms, and I can actually see the airfields from away off!

Flight Time: 02:15:18

Name:	FlightLog_00-11-59.JPG 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	15131

FlightLog_00-11-59.TXT

Departing Charleville for Narromine

Headed further south!

Well, I've finally attained my tongue-in-cheek goal of seeing a kangaroo - more than one in fact! However, it was on my takeoff run. I had just got to speed enough where I could push my nose down; a tender proposition at the best of times, maintaining that balance where I can pick up speed without digging into the earth with that big wooden propeller. No sooner had I firmly but smoothly started to push the stick forward to bring that large nose down, than I could see over the nose and past the prop to a group of kangaroos which, in their wisdom, had obviously come out of the bush to witness my takeoff.

My rather deafening blue machine hurtled towards them and they scattered - one headed left and was quickly passed by, the other two headed right... but then those damnable creatures veered straight back into my path again. I pushed on my right pedal enough to swing the large rudder to the right enough to change my direction, but in the Caudron, this doesn't bode well for stability! The nose of my craft started swinging back and forth, my feet desperately working the pedals to keep some sort of control, and with a glance at my airspeed I pulled back on my stick and grabbed at the air, passing over those frightened beasts by mere feet. Since I took to the air a bit early, I leveled off to gain more speed, narrowly clearing the trees at the end of the airfield.

I do plan on speaking to someone about keeping those things off of my airfield while I'm taking off!!!

Down safe at YNRM

At least the landing was much less stressful than the takeoff.

One more leg to go...

Flight Time: 01:52:12

Name:	FlightLog_23-16-32.JPG 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	15199

FlightLog_23-16-32.TXT

Departing Narromine for Essendon

One last leg left. It's been a great journey so far, I'm almost sad to see it end!

Down safe at YMEN

Melbourne at last!

A relief to see the ground at the end of the amazing journey. A can only shake my head in wonder at this contraption of steel and wood that has carried me so many miles away from London. I'm quite attached to her; from what I understand, there's a buyer already lined up here in Melbourne, I hope she gets treated well.

A few quick telegrams to exchange with my benefactor. She has been kept apprised of my progress the whole time via the radioed reports. I'm sure that she'll be spellbound by my stories of this grand adventure; perhaps I shall see if she's interested in more of the same. She does strike me as the type that might like to leave her comforts behind and see the world.

I am quite confident that, although the times have not been tallied as of yet, my valiant steed did not have quite the power or speed to place in either of the available categories. I knew that wasn't likely, but there was always a glimmer of hope, considering some of the mishaps my brave competitors have faced! But as I once heard, "The journey is the thing".

Now, off to find a hot bath...

Flight Time: 01:52:38

Name:	FlightLog_00-14-02.JPG 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	15333

FlightLog_00-14-02.TXT

Congrats on well run race!
    Roman

Nice run in the Caudron Jim!

Well done Jimmy I think its the first Caudron C.450 which ever made it this far!

Huub

Thanks so much guys, it was a very enjoyable experience!

I really appreciate the opportunity to be able to participate in an event such as this, and as such, I'd like to extend a very heartfelt thank you to all you fine folk that have put in the hours organizing it!

Congrats

Well done and a pretty good time in a unique aircraft! You coaxed the best out of her with good piloting.

Great flight in a classic. Congratulations.
    -Mike

Members who have read this thread: 0