Jimmy's Quest to See a Kangaroo - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jimmy's Quest to See a Kangaroo

Down safe at OIZJ

I now see what everyone else has meant by 'Permafig'. Wow. Lucky I didn't miss that little jut of land that Jask sits on. Had a very nice tailwind up at 11,000 ft though.

Flight Time: 01:57:50
    Routine Ground Time: 00:45:00
    Special Ground Time: 00:00:00
    Penalty Time: 00:00:00

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FlightLog_14-26-09.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	14343

FlightLog_14-26-09.TXT

Departing Jask for Karachi

Pushing forward, starting to feel the time pressure!

Down safe at OPSF

Uneventful flight, right up until descending into the soup at Karachi. Thank god that there happened to be lights on the runway, or I wouldn't of spotted it. I'll be honest, I wasn't certain that I'd landed at the right airport until I double checked the log.

Flight Time: 02:24:51

Name:	FlightLog_20-59-11.JPG 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	14390

FlightLog_20-59-11.TXT

Departing Karachi for Jodhpur

A quick refuel, kick the tires, light 'er up!

Down safe at VIJO

Well, this looks as good place as any to stretch my legs. My blue aeroplane is attracting quite a bit of attention here, might be hard to sneak off and grab a bite of curry.

Flight Time: 01:37:26

Name:	FlightLog_23-25-24.JPG 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	14398

FlightLog_23-25-24.TXT

Departing Jodhpur for Allahabad

Headed for the check-in point. Everything better run smooth on this leg, not a lot of time to waste!

Down safe at VIAL

Allahabad at last. Good god man, will this fog never end? I shall be happy to be free of it; reports are that it lessens in the next leg or so. It sure makes for a strain on the eyes trying to spot the airfield. Good thing I brought these binoculars with me! Also, I'm starting to think that I need to round up a cushion or two for this thin wood bench, it is certainly not meant for such endurance flying.

Flight Time: 02:15:16

Name:	FlightLog_21-53-00.JPG 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	14442

FlightLog_21-53-00.TXT

I'm off in search of a hot meal and a spot of tea whilst the fine officials here take a through look at my aircraft.

Departing Allahabad for Calcutta

No sooner had I just settled in under one of the tents set up on the airfield, feet up and a cup of tea in my hands, did the officials wave me over. "You're all good to go, sir!" they said, looking at me expectantly. I sighed, shook my head and looked back longingly at the nice comfortable chairs set up in the shade of the main tent.

"Any chance for a pillow?" I asked.

They must of thought I was cracking a joke, for they all started to chuckle. I took that as a sign, and climbed into my trusty wooden seat. A check of the flaps, a turn of the magneto and once again I was rocketing down the runway.

Maybe they'll have cushions I can beg or borrow in Calcutta!

Down safe at VECC

That was easily the worst visibility yet coming in to land at Calcutta. I ended up making two passes over the airfield before I managed to pin down, spatially, where it was in relation to me so as to actually line up and be sure I wasn't going to either overshoot or land on someone's roof. As it was, I'm sure I may have been trailing someone's laundry off of one of my wheel pants! And thank goodness, I guess, that the fog was so thick that likely the race representative didn't actually see my wild dive, cutting the throttle and cranking down full flaps to plop down on the runway, else he'd kick me off this race sure.

Flight Time: 02:12:58

Would of scored a better time there had it not been for the near ten minutes spent flailing in the air around and about the countryside surrounding the field!

Name:	FlightLog_00-42-06.JPG 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	14453

FlightLog_00-42-06.TXT

Yes Jimmy the persistent "permafig" is really bad in these parts - would think the last Monsoon winds would blow it away. As you are aware, it nailed me at Jask (a glowing red permafig in the setting sun). When I finally found the field, the locals had let more than just grass grow under their feet and around their tents! I needed 3 passes over the field to spot a gap that I could land on, all the time battling to stay spatially oriented in a now-dark, ground-hogging cloud / sandstorm.

Departing Calcutta for Rangoon

After a small bit of trouble with the fuel system prior to take off yesterday, a bit of rag, some chewing gum and more than a little luck will have me taking off for Rangoon as soon as the sun is up.

A radio report has come in from Rangoon, it seems there's thunderstorms on the make there.

I'm sure visibility will be lovely once again!

Down safe at VYYY

I'm sure at this point that I'm cursed when it comes to weather. The closer I came to Rangoon, the worse the storms got. A bit better visibility by maybe a mile or two more, but those clouds were near on the ground. Miserable. I'm sure that these places look nice, but I'll never be able to tell you!

Flight Time: 02:52:31

Name:	FlightLog_22-31-27.JPG 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	14574

FlightLog_22-31-27.TXT

Departing Rangoon for Alor Star

"There are no foreign lands. It is the traveler only who is foreign." - Robert Louis Stevenson

A small rest, spending the hours listening to the thunderstorms play out overhead, and today a big push forward. Skipping Bangkok, I aim to head straight for Alor Star on a direct loxodrome of 158 degrees. Will spend about 3 hours at 11,000 feet before descending. I've heard that they've had some large amount of rain at Alor Star, hopefully there will still be a dry bit of land to park on.

Down safe at WMKA

Landed at Alor Star; I should want for a tractor to pull me out of this mud. More than a little water on the airfield, enough so that I find myself wondering whether I'll be able to get to speed for a take off. I'm sure I have an extra 50 lbs of mud tucked in the wheel fairings now. Going to see if I can wash some of this off before it dries, while the official here records my logs.

Flight Time: 03:49:18

Name:	FlightLog_13-25-45.JPG 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	14604

FlightLog_13-25-45.TXT

Departing Alor Star for Singapore

The mud cleaned off nicely, and I'm going to make a try at breaking out of this growing lake. Don't want to be stuck here if it rains again!

(I'm 15 minutes late in making this post; I had written it and thought I had hit send but when I cycled back to this tab it was still sitting here, so apparently I hadn't!)

Down safe at WSSL

Decent flight, only a few thunderstorms along the way! Was able to appreciate the scenery for most of the flight however, so that's something to be thankful for!

Flight Time: 01:41:14

Name:	FlightLog_15-30-49.JPG 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	14612

FlightLog_15-30-49.TXT

Departing Singapore for Batavia

Onwards we march. Or fly. Or... well yes, fly it is!

Down safe at WIIH

I'm starting to get used to this whole idea of landing in the fog. Perhaps even starting to enjoy the whole white-knuckled grip on the stick while dropping the plane in from a poor angle and height due to not seeing the airfield until the last possible moment, gingerly touching down with just enough forward push to keep the plane level (drop it on it's tail too soon and it pops back up in the air, only to come down again, hard), applying the brakes softly so as to not cause the plane to nose over... yep, enjoying it I'm sure.

Once I get to Melbourne, I'm going to drop flying planes as a hobby and take up drinking. Oh, wait...

Flight Time: 02:30:11

Name:	FlightLog_23-40-55.JPG 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	14631

FlightLog_23-40-55.TXT

Departing Batavia for Selaparang

While resting briefly at my current stop, a telegram came in detailing a major flood on the island of Lombok. I scrapped my plans for landing at Rambang, for fear that it may be flooded. A message was passed to me about a new airfield being prepared at Selaparang. A quick study of the charts, and off we go.

Down safe at WRRA

A bit stormy and a bit slow. Visibility was quite poor, so I decided to stick with the northern side of the island, which seemed to be a wise choice, since for the first half of the trip visibility was maybe 2 - 3 sm. It let up a bit later, even saw the sun at least once or twice!

Flight Time: 03:17:50

Name:	FlightLog_00-20-07.JPG 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	14685

FlightLog_00-20-07.TXT

Departing Selaparang for El Tari

Amazing how many things come up when you undertake something as this. From a bout with the stomach flu, to my 2 year old's not-so-fun discovery of a food allergy, real life seems to the greatest obstacle I've faced yet on this trip!

I really have to admit, it's been great flying over scenery I've never had a reason to visit. With both FTX Vector and Global installed, this region is really, really nice. I had a free hour yesterday evening, too short to make another flight, but I used it to take off from my saved point at Selaparang in the Bell 407 and had a blast flying up the volcano slopes and then along the beaches at 50 ft ASL.

The definition of nervous is when you figure that you only have enough fuel left for about 20 minutes, and land is nowhere in sight....

I wonder if anything in this tiny cockpit floats...

Land sighted.

I can finally let out that breath I've been holding for the last ten minutes...

Down safe at WRKK

Made it with plenty of fuel to spare.

An annoying headwind, but otherwise a decent flight.

Flight Time: 02:26:14

Name:	FlightLog_22-25-39.JPG 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	14907

FlightLog_22-25-39.TXT

I don't want to linger here long, the next stop will have me looking for kangaroos!

Members who have read this thread: 0