Escape from Australia
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Escape from Australia

Escape from Australia

Off to a fine start! OOM two minutes after take off. Having a quiet moment until my blood pressure stabilises.

Could be worse, the OOM could have occurred 60 mins. into the flight, or on finals.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

First the excuses.

Doubtless the screams of anguish could be heard all the way to 119 Piccadilly! These were caused by a series of events that culminated in a refuel at 15,000ft. To explain, for anyone that's interested:
    1.Aircraft was lacking speed.
    2. Various buttons were punched and switches switched. All to no avail.
    3. Bright spark suggests undercarriage is down. Another bright spark (me) goes outside to peer under the wings. No, they were up.
    4. I have a key on my Logitech keyboard that puts me straight back into the cockpit. Hit key.
    5. Somehow that key which has been performing correctly since A.D. 1252 suddenly decides to change roles and be a refuel button.
    Cue screams.

Now the paperwork.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FlightLog_18-39-09.JPG  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Please proceed. This looks like the normal "glitch" that we can understand and evaluate. Your leg's distance was well within the range of your aircraft so the refueling (accidental) had no impact on the leg's normal completion. We'll take it up the circular staircase to Miss Nellie to get an official ruling.
    -Mike

Thank you Mike, you've made an old man very happy.

Preparing to continue to Darwin.

Landed at YBMA because I over estimated the range of my IV-P and my bottle went!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FlightLog_15-25-27.JPG  

Phew! Made it to Darwin. I'll bivvy down overnight and sneak away in the morning when I'll be FREE!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FlightLog_18-29-11.JPG  

Another leg completed. Soon be back in the bosom of my family. This more difficult than I thought. The Lancair needs a lot of attention. Still, I've learned a lot about it that isn't evident on little trips round the bay type flying. I found out you can adjust the cabin temperature. 21c, perfect.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FlightLog_17-54-09.JPG  

It seems I've omitted to post that I'm taking off from places.

Just to make up.

1: Taking off from Charleville YBCV
    2: Leaving Darwin YPDN
    3:and finally, leaving WADW in about ten minutes. That should bring me up to date.

Arrived safely at WARS Semarang. En route discovered that Asia/oceania mesh not enabled. Wondered why the scenery looked so cr... awful!

Get my head down now for early start to Singapore.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FlightLog_21-11-07.JPG  

Up early ready for my departure from WARS bound for WSSL.

Some serious servicing required before the next leg! A safe arrival at WSSL despite having a "Warning! Fuel pressure" message blaring out continuously right up to shut down. Apparently a bug in the Lancair. Makes me question my choice of aircraft. Still, it keeps the interest up eh?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FlightLog_13-27-43.JPG  

You could've got some of that "sub-standard" fuel at one of the stops. A known problem in these areas. Might be plugging up the fuel filter with a fish sauce additive!
    Roman

Quote Originally Posted by spokes2112 View Post
    You could've got some of that "sub-standard" fuel at one of the stops. A known problem in these areas. Might be plugging up the fuel filter with a fish sauce additive!
    Y'know, you could be right. The refuelling guy kept glancing from side to side and seemed very nervy.

Departed Singapore where I had to drain the tanks, flush the fuel system and fill up with proper stuff! While I was waiting I had a suit made. Off to Rangoon VTSR

Arrived VTSR with just a few 'moments'. 150nm out from Rangoon there was some thunder and lightning off my port wing and on the final 30nm when I took over from George, I encountered some pretty hairy turbulence that concentrated the mind quite effectively! Does anyone else get the 'pit of the stomach' feeling when preparing to land? It has suddenly become very important not to crash.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FlightLog_22-01-05.JPG  

Does anyone else get the 'pit of the stomach' feeling when preparing to land?
    Yes! Not helped by my tendency to bounce a few times before getting the thing to stick to the runway, and then when the Mew Gull is below 30 odd knots you virtually lose directional control! It's the most terrifying bit of the flight for me, much rather be bumbling through thunderclouds.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Attwood View Post
    Does anyone else get the 'pit of the stomach' feeling when preparing to land? It has suddenly become very important not to crash.
    Every race! We keep trying to get you to join us for a round-the-world race. Those will really get you going...

Edit: Looks like you're doing great so far!
    Craig "CB" Taylor
    Team AVSIM RTWR

As they say, flying is a delight. A huge atmosphere to enjoy. The only dangerous parts are near the edges of the air.
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MM View Post
    As they say, flying is a delight. A huge atmosphere to enjoy. The only dangerous parts are near the edges of the air.
    I love it when you talk dirty.

Discovered the reason for the faulty fuel pressure warning, it was a short. Wrapped some insulating tape round it and we're good to go. Leaving Rangoon for Sittwe VYSW

These landings are going to be the death of me! Stress, stress! However, made it safely down to Terra Cotta.(VYSW)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FlightLog_16-27-03.JPG  

Ron,

You have it on the nail! While one could say "Hey! I have been doing this every Saturday for months + " and a similar feeling comes across to do your best. (Sweaty palms 'n such) This just elevates it. Duenna along with confirmation posts relegates this to a "must do" type of flight. In reality what isn't? There is not one person that has ever done a RTWR or other while "live as this" has had the the same feeling while on approach. If they don't,,, they're lying.

Welcome to the club!

P.S. - Have a bowling towel ( or other ) available on final to wipe off the sweaty palms.

P.S.S. - Breath on approach,,, and when you're done with that..... Do it again... Then repeat.

You know the rest.
    Roman

Having a bit of a lie in this morning. I'm setting off to Allahabad and looking to land at dusk, just to spice things up a bit.

Members who have read this thread: 0