London-Melbourne 2014: 119 Piccadilly - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: London-Melbourne 2014: 119 Piccadilly

Springbok Team in Detention at Z13T

Dear Miss Nellie and L-M Race Authorities

We hope you receive this note smuggled out of the Barracks at Z13T airfield, Allahabad.

ZS-GPL mistook the Z13T airfield for VIAL on landing yesterday, again in low visibility fog/smog. It appears the military in charge of this airfield have installed a secret weapon (probably electro-magnetic?) that "detains" planes landing without authorisation (The Royal Air Force may be interested in investigating). Our attempt to escape this "field" was captured on film, also smuggled out for investigators as evidence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=_mH_zYRjXUI

Our attempt at escape could hardly go unnoticed, and led to the entire crew being detained and consigned to the airfield barracks. We hope the race authorities will be able to intervene on our behalf, and some solution / decision / judgment acceptable to all can be reached to allow this team to continue onwards.

Sincerely
    Capt. Rob

Coded message for Stick from Z13T

Dear Miss Nellie

This message contains technical code (Simisms) that Stick should understand, and he may be able to explain to you, which may assist in your pending decision Re: the incident at Z13T.

Extensive testing, involving chasing many red herrings like airport flattens and excludes, has finally revealed the problem!

It seems that the Prepar3D engine has either changed, or has a problem with, the modeling of variable-pitch propeller behavior (as per FSX SDK). Since the DC3 in question is an aged plane designed for the FSX engine (similar behavior is experienced with all FSX conversions I have been able to test), it falls foul of this "problem". These planes cannot be moved / taxied downwind or crosswind under their own power (from a standing start) in the Prepar3D engine (if they are kept rolling, e.g. after exiting a runway, they can be made to move downwind/crosswind). From a standing start / stop these planes must have a headwind, component of headwind, or zero-wind to "break away" . If facing even slightly into wind, then no-problem, the props will "bite" and the plane is able to move-off and accelerate.

The landing at Z13T was onto a crosswind runway (shorter of the two). In desiring not to move the plane from the landing position, except slightly back down the runway to allow for some takeoff run, the DC3 Flying Springbok fell foul of this FSX model - P3D engine incompatibility.

Rob

Stick wandered into the office, bottle of Highland Malt and two glasses in hand and laughed.

"Did you see the note from that Douglas pilot about being stuck in the monsoon muck? Dang old airplanes that should be put out to pasture!"

"Why didn't he offer to pay the Indian Air Force to hook a couple of water buffalos up to the tailwheel of that Gooney Bird and drag it to some place on the airport where he could get better conditions and get his sorry crew over to VIAL? If that won't work we'll have to see if they can organize a training mission for one of their big Rooski helicopters to airlift the Douglas out of there and THAT will probably get expensive!"

"Betcha 'the boss' is not going to be any happier today but I'll try to keep her from going totally ballistic."

With that he got up ( and took the bottle with him) and sauntered back out the door whistling something that sounded like "Fly me to the Moon"

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Icon22

I told myself that I would just fly along no worries and not bother the "staff" or have to have the Good Miss Nellie consulted for any reason regarding my efforts towards Melbourne ... yep, that's uh what I told myself .....

Flight Log text file attached for my flight into Aleppo from Tatoi AB has an issue .... not sure about any effect on scoring .... here now to humbly submit for review as time allows.

FlightLog_13-41-45.TXT

The duenna never stopped running until it auto stopped after a clean landing at Aleppo Int'l.

Says flight was validated for takeoff and landing, but had an error in flight.

I noticed during the flight that (on the face of the duenna screen) there was mention in red type of overspeed for 0.00 secs.

All fields were green so I continued flying uninterrupted to destination.

Thanks once again,
    salt_air

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by salt_air View Post
    I told myself that I would just fly along no worries and not bother the "staff" or have to have the Good Miss Nellie consulted for any reason regarding my efforts towards Melbourne ... yep, that's uh what I told myself .....

Flight Log text file attached for my flight into Aleppo from Tatoi AB has an issue .... not sure about any effect on scoring .... here now to humbly submit for review as time allows.

FlightLog_13-41-45.TXT

The duenna never stopped running until it auto stopped after a clean landing at Aleppo Int'l.

Says flight was validated for takeoff and landing, but had an error in flight.

I noticed during the flight that (on the face of the duenna screen) there was mention in red type of overspeed for 0.00 secs.

All fields were green so I continued flying uninterrupted to destination.

Thanks once again,

========================

After review: (hopefully now this is reduced to a simple question .... what's that you say ... salt_air with a simple question?)

I flew a test flight off line to check for overspeed indication and found it present as written in the config file at blistering 125kts top speed indicated and would continue that way indefinite no crash ... no damage written to air file? .... over my head.

Opened the flight log again and found a log of error for a duration of 12 seconds .... just as info for now citing GS: 127kts.

Further along in the log there are numerous entries where the GS is over 125kts .... mucho plenty ...

I see zero entries in the flight log of indicated speeds at or over 125kts

=== It has to get worse folks before it can get better .... but it does get better .... I think ===

Now .... copied and pasted from the aircraft cfg file paragraph.

[Reference Speeds]
    flaps_up_stall_speed=43.000
    full_flaps_stall_speed=43.000
    cruise_speed=108.000
    max_indicated_speed = 128 //Red line (KIAS)

Now with all of this tossed into a crap grinder .... let's see what the simple question is ....

[Is it the Ground Speed or Indicated Speed that is measured for overspeed assessments?]

Hopefully no one will have to make the climb up the infamous spiral stairs ... like they would have enough energy after all this reading.
    salt_air

A quick call down to Stick Williams indicates prima facie evidence for an unexplained "glitch" in the Duenna coverage. The 12-second failure does not indicate an overspeed. He says that the men will conduct a slightly extended investigation, but that you should not wait. Please fell free to move on now.

We all want to avoid having to bring Miss Nellie into this matter if it is merely a technical failure in the Duenna.
    -Mike

I woke this morning to find an envelope slid under my door. Fearing something from the hotel management or some 'agent' of the government, I was far from relieved to find it contained a note on the letterhead of 119 Piccadilly. (Oh, why ME?)

"Sir,
    After the expense of significant time and following some unusual discussions we feel we can finally put this issue of Springboks, Wallabies, Water Buffalo and DC-3's to rest. It appears that the sticky situation that occurred in Allahabad is somehow related to failure of the crew to obtain and install the latest 'service Bulletins' for the equipment Mr. Williams calls "FSUIPC". Thus, we have determined that the pilot and crew "rwhsim" shall have to record the total flight time of the delayed segment from OIZJ to VIAL via Z13T as shown in his logs, plus the 30 minutes of 'Special Ground Time" that it took to determine he landed at the wrong airport.

Fortunately it arises that there is some familial connection between a member of the Race staff and a certain Brigadier of the Indian Air Force and as a result of carefully-crafted communications it has been ascertained that no charges shall be laid nor costs levied for the housing and feeding of the crew at the barracks and the arrangement for use of certain large animals. We have made a contribution on their behalf to the Indian Air Force Benevolent Fund in consideration of which we have assessed an additional 30 minute charge against the team in lieu of cash payment (which we deem unlikely to be able to collect in light of their loss of sponsorship).

Please communicate this information to the relevant parties forthwith and let us hope that we can enjoy a continued flight with no further interruptions.
    We are pleased that there are some willing to be test subjects for this new "P3D" flight system but caution that the cost of the supply of ASA tablets in the office has risen significantly and will have to be considered for the future.

N."

PHEW! It seems the atmosphere at the top of the circular staircase has lightened somewhat. Onward we go!
    In summary, "rwhsim" will have their log totals amended as follows: Flight Time OIZJ-Z13T + Z13T-VIAL + the usual 0:45 Routine Ground Time + 0:30 Special Ground time (Z13T) + 0:30 Penalty Time (IAFBF donation) without prejudice.

Is it 5 o'clock somewhere?

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

manfredc3. Flight from LIRU-LGTT.

Another ring of the bell and back up the circular staircase. Carefully knocked on the glass door and was beckoned inward. Miss Nellie looked up from her paperwork and muttered something about Stick Williams' clearing up a backlog of paperwork.

Here is a ruling on the flight of manfredc3 from Rome to Athens (LIRU-LGTT). One of the staff forwarded the report several days ago, but it took a while to get a definitive assessment.

It appears that the young man took the beautiful DC-2 to about 13,500 feet and cruised for more than two-and-a-half hours. [The violation markers are 15:30:45-17:50:53 GMT on 1/11/2014.] The pilot declared a need to fly at this altitude "to cross the mountains." For the Golden Age (as here), the rules set a soft ceiling of 12,000 feet. They allow temporary excursions in the 12,000-15,000 range for emergencies or to clear dangerous terrain.

In this case two factors are relevant. On the flight path chosen, there appear to be no mountain ranges of above 11,000 or so. The vigilant pilot can easily avoid the few peaks that threaten the normal altitude levels. Further, the long period above the limit indicates a cruise rather than a brief excursion. Finally, the pilot will note that he is responsible for the aircraft even if it is operated by an unsupervised co-pilot or auto-pilot.

Normally, this sustained flight above the ceiling would constitute a violation of the rules and require a repeat of the leg.

However, there are mitigating circumstances. At the time of the leg, the case of another pilot's temporary excursion over the 12,000 feet ceiling was under review. The clarification was posted on November 1, 2014 just as the manfredc3 event occurred. Further, the pilot is a warmly-welcomed rookie and may reasonably have been unsure about how the rules apply.

Ruling. The sustained flight over the ceiling indicates a violation of the rules. However, the mitigating circumstances suggest leniency. There is no need to re-fly the leg here. The leg stands as flown.

And let the young man know that we are delighted to see pilot and crew continue onward without any evident symptoms of oxygen deprivation. Best wishes on a safe journey in the magnificent Uiver.

Well, this is easy news to deliver.
    -Mike

Ratty - OPSF to VIAL

Er, excuse me . . . sorry to trouble you, but on my last flight I - er - lost my log. (Gulp)

My machine was acting up towards the end of the flight, so I was a little distracted. I'm sure I put it somewhere, but when the time came to post it I couldn't find it.

Please convey my sincere apologies to Miss Nellie, and my assurance that it won't happen again.

SOH-CM-2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ratty View Post
    Er, excuse me . . . sorry to trouble you, but on my last flight I - er - lost my log. (Gulp).
    Don't worry - they're also stored online. Here's what you need:
    http://fs-duenna.com/flights/logs/Wx...qK51zM4NH8.txt
    Martin (FS RTW Race pilot 2009-19)
    Win7 x64 | MSI X79A-GD65 | Intel Core i7-3820 Quad-Core 3.60 GHz | 16GB DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB

SOH-CM-2016
    A question for Miss Nellie, please.

On leg 6, about 55 minutes in, my PC locked up completely, so I had no option but to hit reset and abort the leg. Does that count as a "bail out", or something else? I'll need to return to WMKA to fly the leg again. What penalty applies?

Thanks!
    Martin (FS RTW Race pilot 2009-19)
    Win7 x64 | MSI X79A-GD65 | Intel Core i7-3820 Quad-Core 3.60 GHz | 16GB DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB

Quote Originally Posted by ratty View Post
    Er, excuse me . . . sorry to trouble you, but on my last flight I - er - lost my log. (Gulp)

My machine was acting up towards the end of the flight, so I was a little distracted. I'm sure I put it somewhere, but when the time came to post it I couldn't find it.

Please convey my sincere apologies to Miss Nellie, and my assurance that it won't happen again.
    As Martin has pointed out, the data is online. I've retrieved it and updated your race log.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by Spookster67 View Post
    A question for Miss Nellie, please.

On leg 6, about 55 minutes in, my PC locked up completely, so I had no option but to hit reset and abort the leg. Does that count as a "bail out", or something else? I'll need to return to WMKA to fly the leg again. What penalty applies?

Thanks!
    Martin- Please see your race thread. A no penalty refly for the PC lockup.

Icon22

Me again .... ... with a question.

When I checked my progress in the Standings Screen, I notice that I musta mistyped ... in the "Go to Airport" ... OR0S instead of OR0G.

I had been checking/scouting down range (of what would be the next leg) before taking off.

Was ready to go back to Baghdad and take off straight away ... planning complete ... obviously paid no attention to the fact that wasn't at Rasheed ... Baghdad, but not Rasheed.

Reckon I need to know whether or not I need refly that one?

The flight would have been a couple of NM's shorter from Rasheed and I actually fueled at Rasheed.

Dumb mistake ... fumble fingers ... no excuse.

I'll await a verdict and prepare to take what gets handed down.
    salt_air

I fixed it. That's happening a lot at that airport. Not sure what the deal is, but it's "no factor".
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    I fixed it. That's happening a lot at that airport. Not sure what the deal is, but it's "no factor".

A Gentleman and a Scholar .... thank you!
    salt_air

A quick question to the race committee

I noticed the yesterday that the handicap allowance for my flight has changed to 1:24:00 from what page 37 of the rules shows should be 7.4 hours. Is this a clerical error? Curious as it greatly affects my placement in the final standings.
    Patrick
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

Our main statistician has been out of the country on business with limited net access. That coupled with a few of the planes having the incorrect handicaps to begin with have presented a little bit of a problem. We hope to have the final standings out soon. Thanks for your patience.

Members who have read this thread: 0