London-Melbourne 2014: 119 Piccadilly - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: London-Melbourne 2014: 119 Piccadilly

Hi Patrick. If you have a computer problem, you simply abandon the leg and start over. No bailout. No penalty. Just note the event in your thread and nothing gets added to your logbook. (It is as though the event did not happen.)

Note that the "computer froze up" situation is different from the "my wife insisted that I go to that wedding" event. The latter is a "bail out" for our virtual race...and perhaps more in real life.
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MM View Post
    Hi Patrick. If you have a computer problem, you simply abandon the leg and start over. No bailout. No penalty. Just note the event in your thread and nothing gets added to your logbook. (It is as though the event did not happen.)

Note that the "computer froze up" situation is different from the "my wife insisted that I go to that wedding" event. The latter is a "bail out" for our virtual race...and perhaps more in real life.
    Thanks...fortunately I was only 30 minutes into the flight rather than nearing the destination. Mind is still a little fuzzy from last nights celebrations, but another cup of coffee has burned through the haze and things are looking sunny again.
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

Splitting up legs???

I have a question for the committee.....
    This weekend I was not able to make the full leg from Mildenhall to Marseille.
    I do not want to cheat, so is it allowed to make a partial flight, like Mildenhall to Paris, and then Paris to Marseille the next day?
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

You can certainly land in Paris as it is listed as an unofficial airport. Keep in mind though that the cost in time goes up.

From the rules:

* Additional Listed Unofficial Airports from the 1930s. These are contemporary airports with good facilities. However, the RAeC will not have prepared the local officials and airport staff nor will they have RAeC officials on hand to expedite matters. It will take additional time for the landing pilot to find and engage the airport maintenance personnel, to negotiate with the local government officials, and to arrange the appropriate payments. Refueling stops will take longer than at the RAeC official control or checking points: 90 minutes rather than 45 minutes.

Thanks Moses.

As I am not participating for the competition, but for the experience, I'l take the time hit.

RE: Spartan Crash @ Tatoi AB

New facts have come in. During the time the pilot was in the hospital the Greek Aviation Authority & Local Police did a thorough investigation into what caused the crash into the southernmost hangar at Tatoi AB. Reports from the Police state that during interviews with local inhabitants that at no time was the aircraft anywhere near an established approach and may have been lost. One such statement reported that the aircraft made a right turn towards Tatoi AB while flying very low to the ground just prior to hitting the hangar. The Greek Aviation Authority officially is reporting the cause as "Loss of Spatial Orientation" & "Controlled Flight into Ground".

The final report lists that the aircraft had 22 lbs of fuel left and the accident occurred at 19:55 Local time.

The pilot requests that the 15 minute penalty be rescinded and replaced with a 1:00 penalty. The pilot also requests using the "crash option" adding an additional 1 hour penalty. The crash option flight would take off from LGEL Elefsis AB or LGTG Tanagra AB @ 19:55 local with no more than 22 lbs of fuel on board.

Of course this option would have to be reviewed by Ms. Nellie as being a valid request.

Attached - Official crash reports.

LGTT Crash Report.zip
    Roman

Quote Originally Posted by salt_air View Post
    If a pilot wanted to fly say the Puss Moth or any of the other range challenged aircraft that actually flew in the real race ... could consideration be made for fueling besides at only the prepared airports that are in the Official Control or Checking Point List?

Could the pilot maybe submit for approval a list of specified airports from the Unofficial Airports List that would allow covering these spans prior to starting the event and perhaps be held to those airports only without additional minutes added and no consideration if an alternate had to be used?

"My Hildegard" may not make it to Marseille without some pretty stiff tailwinds and there are five more legs that are questionable if not impossible for it to make.

How in the world could young Jimmy make it back home in 2nd place (Handicapped) to a DC-2 .... [the only solo pilot to finish BTW] ... with all those bloomin' penalty (doubled) minutes?

Sorry for jumping in late.

Jimmy's Puss Moth was a flying gas can. The back seat was replaced with tanks (normal happens even today to ferry planes from US to Europe via Iceland). In our last Melbourne Event which was run shortly after Milton released the Puss Moth. Fliger747 had released a modified aircraft.cfg file with the appropriate tanks to simulate Jimmy's flight. This was an approved modification for that race.

I have to look at my backup of FS at home later I don't have the Puss Moth installed anymore. I will post the aircraft.cfg file and the committee can decide if they want to approve it. That is if I can find it.

One thing to note though she was very heavy and need a lot of runway to takeoff.

During our last Melbourne event some of my longer flights were 14hrs long.

ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

I'm just looking at what we did in 2009... Dave, you and I had a flight longer than the "std" tanks.

http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ListFli...s+Moth+Melrose

Here's what I have from that section of the aircraft.cfg.

------------------------------
    //----- 436 miles tanks -----//

LeftMain = 0, -2.1, 1.5, 26.5, 0
    RightMain = 0, 2.1, 1.5, 26.5, 0

//----- 570 miles tanks -----//
    //range 285 miles/tank = 570 miles

//LeftMain = 0, -2.1, 1.5, 34.5, 0
    //RightMain = 0, 2.1, 1.5, 34.5, 0

//----- 700 miles tanks -----//
    //range 350 miles/tank = 700 miles

//LeftMain = 0, -2.1, 1.5, 42.5, 0
    //RightMain = 0, 2.1, 1.5, 42.5, 0

//----- 1300 miles tanks -----//
    //range 650 miles/tank = 1300 miles

//LeftMain = 0, -2.1, 1.5, 80, 0
    //RightMain = 0, 2.1, 1.5, 80, 0

While I was never an "Official Entrant" for the London to Melbourne Race, I am "Officially" removing myself from any further consideration in regard to legs flown, or aircraft changes. After three consecutive crashes due to rwy lights with crash boxes, an entire flight where the weather service for FSrealWX_lite was unavailable and a sim lockup this morning after 30 minutes of flight. . .the handwriting on the wall is quite evident. Good luck to the competing pilots!

Quote Originally Posted by Great Ozzie View Post
    I'm just looking at what we did in 2009... Dave, you and I had a flight longer than the "std" tanks.

http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ListFli...s+Moth+Melrose

Here's what I have from that section of the aircraft.cfg.

//----- 1300 miles tanks -----//
    //range 650 miles/tank = 1300 miles

//LeftMain = 0, -2.1, 1.5, 80, 0
    //RightMain = 0, 2.1, 1.5, 80, 0
    I must have had the 1300 mile tanks installed.

http://fs-duenna.com/flights/ListFli...live=0&p=4&p=5

Notice one of my flights was 1,351 nm long and 17 hrs 50 minutes.

Now thats a leg.

That install of FS I had the puss moth in is history. The backup drive is non responsive. it was an install of FS9 dedicated to RTWR it had few extras in it to keep it lean. I never backed it up anywhere else. Which is fine.

ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    While I was never an "Official Entrant" for the London to Melbourne Race, I am "Officially" removing myself from any further consideration in regard to legs flown, or aircraft changes. After three consecutive crashes due to rwy lights with crash boxes, an entire flight where the weather service for FSrealWX_lite was unavailable and a sim lockup this morning after 30 minutes of flight. . .the handwriting on the wall is quite evident. Good luck to the competing pilots!
    You're still flying P3D, right?

I'm in the same "never an "Official Entrant" for the London to Melbourne Race" category, flying in P3D myself. I would like to know there is at least one other P3D flyer out here in this event...

That alone not withstanding, you went and did all that duenna P3D testing for this event, and you're gonna just up and quit now? BS Ed.

Who else here knows P3D better? No one imo.
    You're the P3D authority on this site in my book. Please reconsider... illegitimi non carborundum

This message responds to the request of spokes2112 for an adjustment of the ruling concerning his arrival at LGTT on 10-25-14. He asks for a one-hour penalty rather than a 15 minute penalty. And, having asked for a mid-air crash penalty, he also asks that the corresponding normal complete re-flying of the leg be substituted by a flight from a nearby field under the same conditions as the original incident.

I took the wire, along with the associated police report and witness accounts, up to Miss Nellie. She seemed a bit surprised at the request, but took the reports and got on the phone to Slipstick Williams and his accident investigation team. Several hours later, she sent down the following response.

Tell the young man that his request has received considerable attention. A careful reassessment of the claim and the associated materials led to a second investigation of the incident. The facts suggest the following.

The pilot intended to land at Athens Tatoi (LGTT) at night (at 18:55 GMT or 21:55 EEST local summer time) on October 25, 2014. [This is the Jaap van Hees 1934 scenery, located slightly to the west of modern LGTT.] The aerodrome has a relatively short hard runway with faint outline lighting. In darkness, the aircraft approached the field downwind from the southwest, flying northeast not quite parallel with the runway, and made a slow and gentle descent (59-62kts and -66 to -280fpm) for about 30 seconds as it neared the grounds. Then, in the last five seconds, the descent increased (to -385fpm and to -468fpm) and the aircraft hit Tatoi's southwest hangar.

The airport stands at 784 feet asl. The aircraft was last flying at 835'. Our on-scene forensics suggest that, a second later, it clipped the top of the hangar at 827'. (There will be minor differences of perhaps 6 feet in actual altitude and that of the aircraft's center point.) The airspeed, just before the crash, was consistent with a landing attempt. However, the contact occurred 0.1nm from the runway (though only one hundred feet from the grass field).

The police report notes that eyewitnesses believed that the pilot may have been disoriented. Our investigation, which includes reports from those listening in on radio chatter, corroborates in the sense that the pilot's description immediately afterwards indicated complete surprise. His comments suggested that he was circling to land and hit the hangar in complete darkness. The direction of the flight was across the runway rather than on line with it. (Although the grass field accommodates directional flexibility for landing.)

The sudden descent and drop in altitude further indicate disorientation. The aircraft was flying downwind just at or just below stall speed. The vertical flight path, with its sudden departure, is consistent with either a sudden downdraft or an accelerated/turning stall. In either case, the pilot was exhibiting poor judgment if his intent was to execute a landing pattern in darkness.

The evidence is technically consistent with a completed flight with a crash on landing. Had the pilot safely landed at the crash point, it would have been registered a valid leg. (The Duenna usually allows more than a mile leeway in what it counts as "on airport".) The hard evidence of airspeed and direction and descent speed are consistent with a final approach for landing. The verbal reports, however, indicate some pilot disorientation in the middle of a landing pattern.

For purposes of the penalty to be assessed, this incident illustrates a not-quite-standard version of a "crash-on-landing." The rule's intent is to recognize a crash when making a landing after a long leg has been (almost) fully completed. The relatively modest penalty aims to minimize the "racing cost" of a single incident that can arise from the first mistake on landing. (The penalty is 15 minutes for the first incident, 30 minutes for the second, and one hour for further incidents.) The rule also covers hitting a tree or a berm on the threshold or a crash landing a few hundred yards short of the field. This incident is to be distinguished from a crash due to running out of fuel, or flight into a mountain, or breakup in midair due to structural stress on the airframe. (Or, as one analyst suggested, hitting a duck.) For example, crashing into a mountainside 10 miles from the destination is a full-penalty mid-air crash. Crashing into a hangar on the field is a crash-on-landing.

The Committee acknowledges that the pilot believes that he was not landing and that a new flight, from a nearby field under the same conditions and the same fuel load, would constitute a demonstration of a completion to a safe landing.

The Committee recognizes that the pilot is likely to have been executing a pattern rather than actually landing. His maneuvers at low altitude show poor situational awareness and poor airmanship. However, the pilot had fully completed the leg's distance and was in the process of landing, for which pattern work is integral. The incident occurred on the field. It is covered by the intent of the crash-on-landing rule. There is no need to invent a new solution to the problem.

Ruling. The pilot's request is denied. The previous ruling stands. The pilot is deemed to have crashed on landing. The penalty is 15 minutes for the first such pilot error.

Thus, we regret to inform the pilot that his special request is not accepted.

(When I got back down to the staff room, one of the smart guys there observed that, while the Committee could not impose a different penalty, the pilot could. He could simply start his Duenna and record an additional 45 minutes on the clock before actually taking off on the next leg. Personally, I would recommend that the pilot abide by the Committee's ruling and not attempt to take matters into his own hands.)
    -Mike

I completed the flight from OIBB to OIZJ, bounced/rolled to a stop and to my amazement, I had a red duenna. The text file indicates 2 errors. There was no crash (although I did land on the sand next to the runway) and nothing else that I can see would cause an error. However, I did access the flight planner twice during the flight. In the original flight plan, I had included a ndb waypoint that as I got near the first one (LAR in the mountains) I decided the final one would be unnecessary. I first accessed the default flight planner and decided to not make the change. A few minutes later, I changed my mind, reaccessed the flight plan and removed the last ndb waypoint. I then saved the plan, clicked no to going back to the start point and continued the flight.

Errors:
    30.10.2014 14:52:54z Warning: FS unavailable
    30.10.2014 15:10:23z ERROR NEW: [Same A/C]
    30.10.2014 15:10:23z AT N 27* 46.1' / E 54* 11.0' at 9334ft GS:220kts, IAS:182kts, VS:-122ft/min
    30.10.2014 15:10:23z STATE
    30.10.2014 15:10:23z AIRCRAFT / Counter 0
    30.10.2014 15:10:23z
    30.10.2014 15:10:24z ERROR RESOLVED: [Same A/C] (Duration 00:00:01)
    30.10.2014 15:10:24z AT N 27* 46.1' / E 54* 11.0' at 9334ft GS:220kts, IAS:182kts, VS:-122ft/min
    30.10.2014 15:10:24z STATE
    30.10.2014 15:10:24z AIRCRAFT GeeBee_Model Z Merc Air / Counter 1
    30.10.2014 15:10:24z
    30.10.2014 15:13:39z ERROR NEW: [Same A/C]
    30.10.2014 15:13:39z AT N 27* 42.3' / E 54* 18.8' at 9322ft GS:219kts, IAS:181kts, VS:0ft/min
    30.10.2014 15:13:39z STATE
    30.10.2014 15:13:39z AIRCRAFT GeeBee_Model Z Merc Air / Counter 0
    30.10.2014 15:13:39z
    30.10.2014 15:13:40z ERROR RESOLVED: [Same A/C] (Duration 00:00:01)
    30.10.2014 15:13:40z AT N 27* 42.3' / E 54* 18.8' at 9322ft GS:219kts, IAS:181kts, VS:0ft/min
    30.10.2014 15:13:40z STATE
    30.10.2014 15:13:40z AIRCRAFT GeeBee_Model Z Merc Air / Counter 1
    30.10.2014 15:13:40z

I'm attaching the text file for Miss Nellie's perusal.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

See temporary ruling in your thread.

Things look ok, pending an investigation by Slipstick Williams and his crack investigation team. You should proceed and for the moment ignore the errors.
    -Mike

We received a sealed packet from our counterparts in Paris. Looks like someone had to make another trip upstairs…but no one volunteered. After a few minutes of standoff, I sheepishly agreed to go.

Miss Nellie was busy with a series of calculations when I knocked. "An international incident?" she asked as she took a quick glance a the yellow sheet with the ominous header Deuxičme Bureau. Happily, it was from the less worrisome police de l’Air.

Apparently, the DC-2 pilot manfredc3 landed near the aerodrome at Paris Le Bourget (LFPB). He came down in the countryside near the commune of Noissy-en-France about 8 kilometers northeast of the airfield. He had to walk to the airport and convince two local members of the maintenance staff to work overtime and drive their trucks over to the landing spot and refuel the aircraft. Apparently there was some cheese, bread, and good wine involved in the negotiations. While eventually successful, the whole affair took a bit longer than the pilot realized.

There seems to be some question about how this foreign pilot was able to clear the regulations at Le Bourget without getting his passport stamped by the appropriate officials. The government asked that the pilot report to police headquarters in Paris immediately.

Happily, our colleagues at the RAeC and Whitehall were able to smooth matters and convince the government to revoke the arrest orders. It is helpful to have worldly supporters who have relations with other governments. The pilot should proceed and need not worry about the army at Aleppo.

In all the confusion, the pilot wants to account for the additional Ground Time associated with his afternoon with the refuelers. Instead of 1:30:00, the time should be 2:30:00. (In the Golden Age, LFPG is not on the "list" -- and of course did not exist in the 1930s.)

Inform the pilot that he evinced ingenuity in getting those French maintenance personnel to leave their station and work outside the official regulations. Let him know that we were able to keep him out of jail … this time.

And wish him well on his journey.

Oh, please tell the Gee Bee pilot Willy that Slipstick Williams has completed his investigation and that all is well. Apparently, in accessing the "menu" of his aircraft he triggered a momentary glitch in the Duenna. No problems here.

Back down to the staff room to send a couple of wires.
    -Mike

Thanks so much for all the effort. I was already wondering why those gendarmery were laughing at me and raising their wine bottles. Now I know why I only had a few boxes left after returning to the plane.

Kudo's to the french mechanics though, for being able to get my plane airworthy overnight. They told me they only did it because they rarely get to work on such an iconic bird.

The message of my mishap must have travelled fast, as eyes were constantly following me, and the pointing fingers got me nervous. For that, I am glad I made it out of there.

Thanks again for preventing middle aged jail time.

Crawling over to the Official Tent at Athens, I hoarsely whisper...

"Could you pass a request to Miss Nellie and her wonderful staff to, if possible, see that an appropriate handicap be written for my records... please... "<gasp, cough>

I need Ouzo!

...and sleep <thud>

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Submitted to Miss Nellie-

On our flight from OIZJ Jask to VIJO Jodhpur, we momentarily crested the soft ceiling of 12,000' by 13' to reach a max altitude of 12,013'.

From the co-pilot; "I tell ya...I should have stowed the beer kegs near the center but I didn't and they rolled to the back of the plane when we took off causing a slight nose up attitude. Yeah, that's it, nose up". (Think James Cagney voice).

The Sikorsky pilot Moses03 self-reported an altitude violation. He was recorded at 12,013 which is just above the soft ceiling of 12,000 feet. Miss Nellie took charge and conducted several extended telephone conversations. (Apparently, the pilot has a close cousin on the staff. He excused himself from the considerations.)
    Sikorsky pilot Moses03 exceeded the 12,000 soft ceiling by recording a maximum altitude of 12,013 feet. This is a violation because the 12,000 foot ceiling is meant to be observed except in cases of emergency or obstacle-avoidance such as surmounting a mountain range.

The investigation revealed that the pilot was cruising over Persia and India (Iran and Pakistan) at something like 11,800-11,900 feet for four-and-a-half hours of the flight. While this cruising altitude is near the maximum, none of the 10-minute Duenna cycles registered an altitude over 12,000 feet. The 12,013 reading was apparently a brief momentary violation rather than a sustained event.

The Golden Age soft ceiling aims to protect our pilots from dangers due to the consequences of oxygen deprivation. It is enforced as a rule to prevent pilots from taking risks merely in order to seek competitive advantage. Of course, pilots may choose to fly up to 15,000 feet if doing so aims to avoid obstacles and enhances safety. And in addition, we understand that the nature of the weather will sometimes produce sudden shifts in winds and barometric pressure that will "thrust" aircraft upwards and downwards in unavoidable ways. (Apparently, this has something to do with "bugs" in an electronic machine "program" that produces a "computational simulation".)

Thus, brief excursions above the ceiling may be allowed as long as they seem intended to insure safety or reflect momentary surprises.

However, pilots should take care that they do not intentionally or accidentally sustain flight above the ceiling. And when the lead pilot transfers the aircraft to a co-pilot or auto-pilot, he remains responsible for the aircraft's flight.

Accordingly, the prudent pilot should allow for a reasonable margin of error at all times. Even small weather shifts can cause problems when the safety margin is too close. And the command pilot should be especially careful when allowing others to fly his aircraft. (Some unsupervised co-pilots and autopilots will only poorly maintain altitude.) Under these circumstances, a momentary violation is understandable and may be allowed if it is immediately corrected and if it is not part of a pattern of sustained flight.

Ruling. This incident is judged to be a momentary violation of the soft ceiling. The record reveals no sustained flight above the limit. However, the evidence does show that the pilot cut his margin of error very close for a long period of time. He is warned that this carelessness should not happen again. No penalty for this violation. The pilot may proceed.

When I got back into the staff room, a brief note lay on my desk. Stick Williams (our chief investigator) wrote:
    Miss Nellie cannot say this. But here in the office we are informally adopting a standard that multiple Duenna readings of flight above the ceiling will constitute prima facie evidence of either intent or unacceptable poor practice. Pilots who register multiple violations in the same flight (indicating 10-20 minutes or more in excessive altitude) should expect to re-fly the leg. Of course, extenuating circumstances may alter such a judgment.

The hope is that all pilots will take extra care when they allow their unsupervised assistants to fly the aircraft. Miss Nellie seemed more disappointed than upset. But it is never a good thing to cross Miss Nellie.
    Last edited by MM; November 1st, 2014 at 13:45.
    -Mike

Icon22

Well after going over this flight and opening the flight log text file I see something I don't remember ever seeing before ... at least not to this degree.

Attachment 14325

FS unavailable for the whole flight?

Errors:
    02.11.2014 14:56:24z Warning: FS unavailable
    02.11.2014 14:56:40z Warning: FS unavailable
    02.11.2014 15:01:28z Warning: FS unavailable
    02.11.2014 15:01:49z Warning: FS unavailable
    02.11.2014 15:02:36z Warning: FS unavailable
    02.11.2014 15:03:26z Warning: FS unavailable
    02.11.2014 15:03:39z Warning: FS unavailable
    02.11.2014 15:03:55z Warning: FS unavailable
    02.11.2014 15:04:09z Warning: FS unavailable
    02.11.2014 15:04:27z Warning: FS unavailable
    02.11.2014 15:04:54z Warning: FS unavailable
    02.11.2014 15:05:07z Warning: FS unavailable
    02.11.2014 15:09:13z Warning: FS unavailable
    02.11.2014 15:09:34z Warning: FS unavailable
    02.11.2014 15:09:51z Warning: FS unavailable
    02.11.2014 15:10:01z Warning: FS unavailable
    02.11.2014 15:10:23z Warning: FS unavailable
    02.11.2014 15:10:28z Warning: FS unavailable
    02.11.2014 15:10:44z Warning: FS unavailable
    02.11.2014 16:20:14z Warning: FS unavailable
    02.11.2014 18:41:50z Warning: FS unavailable

Info: Looks like FS2004
    Info: Configuration-File: C:\Users\Austin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FS9\FS9. CFG
    Info: REALISM/CrashTolerance: '1.000000' (OK)
    Info: REALISM/CrashDetection: '1' (OK)
    Info: REALISM/StressDamage: 'True' (OK)
    Info: REALISM/UnlimitedFuel: 'False' (OK)
    Info: Weather/LoadWeather: '1' (OK)
    Info: Weather/DownloadWindsAloft: '1' (OK)
    Info: Weather/DisableTurbulence: '0' (OK)

Summary:
    Direct distance: 568.4 nm
    Flight time: 05:14:00
    Baton time: 05:14:04
    Average GS: 108.6 kts
    Valid: VALIDATED

Flight Simulator: FS2004
    Crash-Tolerance-Setting: 1.000
    FSUIPC: 3.999z
    Validation-ID: 382 0F0 D63 (Rev. 1)

New one on me .... any penalty here?

Refly with an adjustment somewhere or setting I neglected?

I can't fly again until Monday afternoon, so I'll chill out until I here back.
    salt_air

Austin, we'll send this over to Stick and his boffins for closer examination.

At the moment, it appears that "FS was Unavailable" some 21 times during your long flight. That message may arise from many things, some of which we know and probably many that we don't. (I'm guessing that you did not access the FS9 menus 21 times in your flight!)

The Duenna record looks fine. All green. So you might as well go ahead with the next leg unless we hear that Stick sees something that is not obvious.

--M
    -Mike

rwhsim. Off-airport excursion in search of Jask

Got a buzz and climbed up the circular staircase for news on rwhsim. Apparently Stick Williams and his boffins have examined the record and a ruling is in order. When I entered through the glass door, Miss Nellie merely smiled and, with a hint of approval, gave the verdict.

Pilot rwhsim apparently became disoriented while searching for Jask during an evening sandstorm. He skillfully landed on a nearby beach and obtained directions from the local citizenry. He then flew directly to Jask and crashed on landing, hitting an obstacle in the darkness of night. (Apparently the Jask runway maintenance leaves something to be desired.)

An examination of the timing indicates that the journey's first part (leg one for these purposes) was scored correctly. (Flight Time 5:12:16; and Routine Ground Time 0:45:00 for the work done in Baghdad)

The journey's second part (leg two) should be scored as follows. (Flight Time 0:21:21; Routine Ground Time 0:00:00; Special Ground Time 0:30:00; and Penalty Time: 0:00:00)

The Flight Time is the Duenna recorded time. There is no Routine Ground Time. The Special Ground Time reflects the amount of time spent on the ground while seeking directions. The young man spent more time than this but, because he was acting in good faith, we assess a fixed cap of 30 minutes to limit the damages. (In the event, he spent some three hours on the ground. He restarted the simulator clock to reflect only one hour ground time--and did not improve the conditions from that of a half-hour time frame. He landed in darkness.)

The crash at Jask would normally earn a fifteen minute penalty for the pilot's first crash. However, as he is a designated Rookie, the crash penalty is waived on the first (and second) such instance. Thus, there is no penalty assessed at this time.

Please ask the pilot to wire ahead to his future destinations to be sure that the runways are likely to be clear on his arrival. A bit of preparation can help avoid the occasional unexpected disaster.

Apparently all is well. And another note from Stick. Some sort of technical gibberish that rwhsim might be able to decipher:

We do not know the circumstances of the crash. The photograph suggests that there were scenery clashes between the 1934 scenery of Jaap van Hees and the underlying autogen. Those trees and buildings on the airstrip should have been eliminated by an exclude. You might check to see that the Jaap van Hees scenery is at the top of your scenery priority list -- so that his excludes will eliminate the autogen placed by your landclass.
    -Mike

My sincere gratitude to Miss Nellie and her team for this ruling, and for reducing the ground time at the off-field landing site so generously. Rest assured that should such an event occur again (heaven forbid!), the clock and engines shall be kept running while directions are sought post-haste and a rapid onward leg executed.

Quote Originally Posted by MM View Post
    The photograph suggests that there were scenery clashes between the 1934 scenery of Jaap van Hees and the underlying autogen. Those trees and buildings on the airstrip should have been eliminated by an exclude. You might check to see that the Jaap van Hees scenery is at the top of your scenery priority list -- so that his excludes will eliminate the autogen placed by your landclass.
    Stick's coded message understood. I reply in code he shall understand. Confirmed that Jaap van Hees 1934 scenery was top of scenery list. An exclude file existed in the scenery folder of said add-on scenery, but possibly was corrupt or being ignored by the Prepar3D computer machine thingy. Have radioed ahead to all other fields at which stopovers are planned, and no such problems exist with any of these.

Messrs ADE (Ace Demolition and Engineering) arrived yesterday, and co-opted hordes of locals armed with axes, picks and hammers (with a generous day's wage each supplied by my sponsor Lord Goldrich). An absolutely splendid job has converted Jask to a manicured field that should double as a fine golf-course. Note that no re-positioning of the landing strip was done during this process; it was merely watered down and rolled flat and hard, using a roller borrowed from a local cricket club!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jask_Maintained.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	14455

Any P3D user still planning to visit Jask is welcome to contact me if they have the same problem, and I shall upload my modified AFCAD file (nothing to do with Africans now!)

Rob

Dangerousdave26. Early Incidents.

A quick note sent down from upstairs. In Miss Nellie's handwriting.

A clarification for Dangersousdave26 on his first days in Australia.

Post #5. Wrong aircraft. Aborted and restarted. No advantage. No problem. No penalty.

Post #7. The overstress looks to be a mid-air crash, flying at about 7,000 altitude. This occurred almost 3.5 hours into the leg, at 4:07:23 UTC on 10-26-14. The penalty for a mid-air crash is a one hour penalty and a need to re-fly the leg. No Flight Time on the log. Done.

Post #11. Controller abort. This is a "computer problem" and a "non-event" for the race. No penalty.

Please remind the youngster that Accu-Feel is optional. And, when using Accu-Feel, turbulence is optional. A common practice would be to keep Accu-Feel operational for many of the realism and sound effects, but turn down or zero-out the added turbulence.

And please send along our best wishes for a safe and enjoyable journey now that things all systems are in good order.

Whew! No need to go up the circular staircase.
    -Mike

One of the office clerks was just going for tea when he heard "What are these guys doing?" in a fairly loud voice coming through the door of Miss Nellie's office. Knowing it was a sign of another one of 'those messages' he grabbed the tea service and gingerly entered the inner sanctum.

Miss Nellie was waving (or fanning herself with) what appeared to be a facsimile copy which he was directed to read.

3h46m - Arrgghh!!! FSX locks up completely! I get the Windows "waiting" circular icon, but no message to say that FSX is closing...
    About 8 minutes later, having closed a whole load of other apps that were running, FSX comes back to life, and I'm still flying. Phew!! But by now, Duenna has lost its connection. I may have lost Duenna tracking, or it may still be running...

Anyway, I'll keep going, cross my fingers for Duenna, and make sure I get other evidence of the flight...

The next directive from her exaltedness was curt: "Get this to the technical staff, have them investigate and get it resolved!"
    Cables and calls ensued and when the clerk was summoned back to "The Office" he was handed a note in Miss Nellie's own handwriting:

"Cable this Mr Spookster67 and tell him he may continue but must record the full time shown on his Duenna time-slip. The eight minutes he spent asleep, floating in the ether or visiting the spirit world is a minor penalty he must endure. Further, send a message to all competitors advising them that the technical staff AND I remind pilots that this is dangerous stuff and strongly suggest they avoid partaking of extraneous activities while in flight. No matter whether it is writing love-notes, communicating with the press corps or calculating how they might spend their prize monies, this sort of activity in the midst of a flight is known to have hazardous consequences and we cannot be sure that the next such technical glitch or gap in the continuum might not result in a crash or it's many equivalents. Mr Williams notes that electronic devices used in flight have been reported to have unpleasant effects on aircraft systems and are frowned upon, pending further testing."

The poor, shaken clerk went off to the communications centre to send the messages then wandered about the building closing all open windows. Shortly after, a small note was found taped to the stair baluster.
    "Abandon hope, all ye who enter here!"

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Members who have read this thread: 0