London Melbourne 2014: Rules Release

Thread: London Melbourne 2014: Rules Release

London Melbourne 2014: Rules Release

London Melbourne Rules Final Draft Release

The Spring Event Team is happy to publish the final draft of the London Melbourne Race Rules. This "draft" is meant to be the final rendition of the rules. However, we understand that there may be some confusing parts and perhaps some glitches in the rules. Please take a look and let us know about any clarifications, corrections, or improvements that you might see. If possible, we would like to take advantage of your help. In addition, the White List of eligible aircraft might not include the particular aircraft that you want to fly. If not, let us know.

This final draft is likely to be very close to the official version of the rules. It is available for download here. Please add your comments and suggestions to the "London Melbourne Rules Release" thread at Sim-Outhouse's Multiplayer Forum here.

PRB, Taco, srgalahad, MM, Willy, Moses03
    -Mike

Mike, or anyone else,

I hope this is right. On page 6 of the rules -

Rambang, Lombok, Netherlands Indies. On East Coast of Lombok, North of Tanjungluar. Optionally use Selaparang [WRRA/FS9] [WADA/FSX]
    It might be a good idea to include WADR (real Rambang) as an ident for using the Jaap van Hees scenery. When the scenery is active many of the "optional" airports are in trees or a blank piece of land.

EDIT - been checking airports and such w/ the JvH scenery. Port Darwin is WPRP.

Port Darwin, Australia. Parap.
    "Parap" seems like a short for "Paraphrase".

Flemington Race Course, Melbourne is YFRC. The way it looks YFRC is not an option, YMEN is mandatory. Correct?

Thanks
    Last edited by spokes2112; October 9th, 2014 at 07:23. Reason: WADR, YPDN, WPRP, YFRC
    Roman

I am an idiot! LOL - Port Darwin PARAP is YPRP not WPRP. Also I inquired about YFRC (Racecourse) to be included. The reason was that when the JvH scenery was active YMEN (Essenden) was a tree filled swamp.. As it states in the rules it is up to us to make sure scenery was up to snuff. Mine wasn't yesterday, it is now. Disregard above.

Pretty sure the committee has this in hand but anyway I did some testing to make sure Duenna was reporting correctly. Here are some results using the JvH scenery.

Code:
    WADR (RAMBANG)
    RWY 03
      Airport:                WRRA 29.0nm
    RWY 21
      Airport:                WRRA 29.2nm

YPRP (PORT DARWIN PARAP)
    RWY 11
      Airport:                YPDN 2.1nm
    RWY 29
      Airport:                YPDN 1.8nm
    Roman

A trivial question

Hello

I have a question or should I say clarification.

In the rules it states:
    Pilot and Crew. The aircraft need carry neither passengers nor baggage. The pilot and the co-pilot/navigator must be on board, but other crew members are optional. (Single-seaters carry the pilot. For aircraft that make no provision for crewmembers or weights, this rule is meaningless.)

An answer in the 2009 FAQ’s
    Q. How do I assign the pilot and crew weights?
    A. Go to "Aircraft|Fuel|Payload" and be sure that you have entered the weights properly. While doing this, you may eliminate the weights of extra passengers and luggage. (On some aircraft, you may need to add crew members.) Officially, crew members must weigh at least 170 pounds—so no need to diet for the race. For the occasional aircraft, the payload section will include such essentials as oil which must be carried—don't eliminate those.

I assume we must allow 170
    pounds for the pilot and copilot plus a some for oil, bagage, etc. The aircraft I'm considering defaults to 150 pounds for each, which is no problem, I must remember to change it each time I start FS. The default is 65 pound for baggage.
    Fred

Icon22

Not clear on what you want here Fred .... but I think this will help.

For the plane you will be using ....

Copy and paste the aircraft cfg to a new folder inside of the aircraft folder ..... you can put copies of things you may want to save later in there too ... or just bak it up somewhere (a copy) ... however you want to do it.

Then you can open the aircraft cfg file (notepad) and scroll down the paragraph titled [weight_and_balance].

==== this example is from the Lockheed Altair ====

[weight_and_balance]
    // ACM V2.5
    max_gross_weight = 5800
    empty_weight = 3550
    reference_datum_position = 0, 0, 0
    empty_weight_CG_position = 0, 0, 0
    empty_weight_pitch_MOI = 5833
    empty_weight_roll_MOI = 2944
    empty_weight_yaw_MOI = 8306
    empty_weight_coupled_MOI = 0
    CG_forward_limit = 0
    CG_aft_limit = 1
    max_number_of_stations = 3

station_load.0 = 170, -3, 0, 0.0
    station_load.1 = 0, 0, 0, 0, co-pilot
    station_load.2 = 0, 0, 0, 0

Just like in the last three lines of that paragraph:

station_load.0 = 170, -3, 0, 0.0 <==== change just the first number in your plane to equal 170 like it is here
    station_load.1 = 0, 0, 0, 0, co-pilot <==== change just the first number (zero here) to 170 ..... get rid of the co-pilot or change it to whatever you want .... maybe a name like Noonan or just Navigator or nothing.

You could also add the name Pilot or maybe Fred to the first entry as well ... after the fourth comma ... leave a space.

station_load.2 = 0, 0, 0, 0 <===== this could be your oil or baggage or supplies for the voyage .... say like a large .... really long range large ... cooler full of your favorite beverage iced down to enjoy during the flight.

Finished product could perhaps closely resemble this: --- last three lines in the new [weight_and_balance] paragraph

station_load.0= 170, -3, 0, 0, Fred
    station_load.1= 170, 0, 0, 0, Suzy Q ====== (or whatever you want)
    station_load.2= 500, 0, 0, 0, Newcastle Brown Ale ====== (bottled and iced ... you want one right now, huh?)

Instead of this nonsense:

Make sure the number in the max_number_of_stations line is 3 or ever how many you intended to display.

Save and exit .... reload the aircraft if FS has been running while you where working on this.

What you have written will show up by default now in the Fuel and Payload menu every time you start the sim.

Hope this helps
    salt_air

Thanks for the detailed explanation Austin.

It's way simplers than that.

I merely meant to point out that the rules don't state the minimum pilot and copilot weights.

They're only specified in the FAQ,s. which could lead to confusion for those who only read the rules.

I should have posted the paragraph just after the one I posted in the FAQ which explains that you don’t really need to change any config. files just added the weights in the cargo section of fuel menu.

Anyway, now that the question has discussed here, there shouldn’t be any confusion about the pilot and copilot

weight requirements......just in case everyone didn't RFM.

Three hundred additional pounds in these rather light vintage aircraft could perhaps make a difference after

10000 miles of flight.

I guess I’m a bet too sensitive about exact weight. I once took a bump on a flight that was over loaded. When the crew announced they needed a volunteer I didn’t hesitate.

Hope this makes it clear.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by salt_air View Post
    Not clear on what you want here Fred .... but I think this will help.

You could also add the name Pilot or maybe Fred to the first entry as well ... after the fourth comma ... leave a space.

station_load.2 = 0, 0, 0, 0 <===== this could be your oil or baggage or supplies for the voyage .... say like a large .... really long range large ... cooler full of your favorite beverage iced down to enjoy during the flight.

Finished product could perhaps closely resemble this: --- last three lines in the new [weight_and_balance] paragraph

station_load.0= 170, -3, 0, 0, Fred
    station_load.1= 170, 0, 0, 0, Suzy Q ====== (or whatever you want)
    station_load.2= 500, 0, 0, 0, Newcastle Brown Ale ====== (bottled and iced ... you want one right now, huh?)

Instead of this nonsense:

Hope this helps
    Hey THANKS
    I had to run off the other night and didn't read the files changes.

On 2nd thought I will change the pilot, copilot, and bagage weight.

I should have known you had something special to offer.!!!!
    Talk about precious cargo!!!!

500 should get us there....that is if the copilot doesn't drink.

forget the oil, water, and deordorant!

Thanks Austin

London Melbourne 2014 Official Rules Released

The final version of the Rules is now available. This is v1.00 and replaces v0.95 released on October 8. The release includes the Official Rules themselves, a Change Log that outlines the relatively few tweaks added since the earlier draft, and a set of Historic Notes. You can download this package from a DropBox location here.

For comments and questions, please see the "London-Melbourne 2014: 119 Piccadilly" thread here which will be monitored by Miss Nellie and her staff. (They are located in the Royal Aero Club's Westminster offices.)
    -Mike

Members who have read this thread: 1