Default GPS Question

Thread: Default GPS Question

Icon26 Default GPS Question

I would like to see some improvements to the default GPS. I fly VFR almost exclusively. Low, fairly slow, using mostly ORBX scenery and airports. I use the GPS500 as a pop up in almost all aircraft. I have founds mods to give a better terrain picture, along with AI aircraft shown. This is great, but airports do not show up at any range greater than 10 miles. What I want is a mod to the default gps that shows me a good shadow in the terrain, and a range greater than 10 miles. Showing AI aircraft would be a plus. Does anyone know of a mod that does this. I have tried to edit the XML file myself, with no luck. I have searched until I gave up for information about this. If anyone can point me to a good tutorial for editing xml files, that would be good.

Anyone have a recommendation for even a payware GPS that will do what I want??? I've bought the simflyer one and it is easier to deal with than the stock, but not much better.

Thanks in advance, all non obscene advice will be appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by jeansy View Post
    Jeansy: Thanks for the reply, however I've had this gps mod for years. It is an improvement in that the terrain is much nicer and it does show the tail numbers of the AI aircraft. But, If I'm not sadly mistaken it is the one that if used at a range greater than 20 miles will not show any airport. I do not understand why it cannot be made to do both.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by binarkansas View Post
    ...airports do not show up at any range greater than 10 miles. What I want is a mod to the default gps that shows me a good shadow in the terrain, and a range greater than 10 miles. Showing AI aircraft would be a plus.... I have tried to edit the XML file myself, with no luck.
    Actually the default GPS shows airports out to the next to last zoom level, at least large airports.

If you are comfortable editing XML I can show you how to expand the zoom level that shows small airports.

Before making any edits back up a copy in case things go FUBAR.

Open gps_500.xml and search for-
    HTML Code:
    <objectdetaillayerairports>
    You will see-
    HTML Code:
    <ObjectDetailLayerAirports>0 0x5 0x5 0x5 0x5 0x15 0x15 0x15 0x15 0x15 0x15 0x15 0x1F 0x1F 0x5F 0x5F 0x5F 0x5F 0x5F 0x5F 0x5F 0x5F 0x5F 0x5F 24 (@g:map_ZoomStep) case</ObjectDetailLayerAirports>
    Sorry for using the HTML tags, the CODE tags don't work properly.

Anyway, what you see in that line is what airport detail gets displayed at each zoom step, starting at the left which is all the way out (500nm).

0x5F are the steps that show all airports. I started by replacing 0x1F with 0x5F and saw no change in the GPS. As I moved to the left, replacing 0x15 with 0x5F I started seeing small airports as I zoomed out further than 10nm.

Obviously the GPS is set up to show less detail as you zoom out to keep the screen from becoming unreadable because of all that is being displayed. Also performance decreases as we add detail.

I would play around with it until you find a happy medium. I have the terrain shadowing and TCAS turned on and displaying all airports at 100nm zoom level caused the GPS display to sslllooowwww dddoooowwwwnnnn.

I have not tested this very thoroughly so mod at your own risk.

cheers,
    Lane

Members who have read this thread: 4