3) Select Import to the two popup windows
    4) Save the 24-bit bmp in my UVW Map folder
    5) Apply the new bmp to the project
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Thank you Milton; Hairyspin,

It looks like I'm over the hump. (Couldn't have done it without you!)

One more question though, before I dive into Photoshop for the final texture: why does the Poly Map look so pixelated?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.JPG  
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.

The number of pixels per inch/meter is key.

So, to get high resolution, you must map so that the pixels per inch/foot/meter are sufficient to give the required resolution.

Divide your object length or width by the pixel width of your bmp to get the result.

For large exterior scenery objects, or close up detail like in cockpits, you need more pixels per unit to get that resolution.

For a 20 meter wide fence, for example, using a 1024 X 1024 bmp, you have only 51 pixels per meter to give detail (1.3 pixels per inch or 15.6 per foot).
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

One last question, (I hope). When the model is imported into the game, and placed, can its scale be re-sized (to 'final' fine tune it?)
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.

No, make the object the size it needs to be in-game before exporting.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    No, make the object the size it needs to be in-game before exporting.
    I was afraid you'd say that.

Once again, I feel I'm within a whisker of success. I can see the bitmap in the Bitmap Parameters Rollout. The name of the bitmap is there. If I click View Image, the right image appears. But checking 'Apply' does not make it appear on the model.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.jpg  

See attachment: Select that icon to show map in viewport

Select your object, select the material, Apply
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Not quite there...

When I get the proper Map selected, the blue-checkered cube is greyed out. I discovered that I had been saving my textures in the Meshes folder. I copied the contents to Maps and started again. I bring up the Materials Editor, click Materials Navigator, go to Maps, select the proper Map, and it appears in the window of Materials Editor. Up until then, the checkered box is visible. But when my Map appears in the Mat. Ed. window, the checkered box grays out (as you can see in the previous post). It seems as though I need to get the Map name to show in the window under the image. (Name) Map #2 wants to be WOFF TEST BLDG_t_. (Which it is in the Bitmap Parameters Rollout.)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.JPG  

Do you have the object(s) selected to apply to at this point?

I select the objects, go get the map/material (or create one) with the Navigator, then apply.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Do you have the object(s) selected to apply to at this point?

I select the objects, go get the map/material (or create one) with the Navigator, then apply.
    Yes, it's selected. Then I go to the Map with the Navigator, select it, click 'Open', the Navigator closes, the Map image is in the Materials Editor window and the checkered box is grayed out. Would it help if I attached the Gmax doc.?

I also notice that your Apply button is greyed out. That is usually because you do not have an object selected.

Look at my example above. I do NOT have an object selected either and my Apply button is greyed out, although I have buttons available that you do not.

Compare my screen shot with yours for differences.

I am running the FS9 SDK, gmax 1.2.

Now, try re-selecting your object to Apply.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Robert, do not use the Material Navigator to do this: don't, don't, don't! You are using the Navigator to pick your material, but what you're actually doing is loading the map only into the Material Editor:–

You must load the complete material into the editor:–

I got myself tied in so many knots using the Navigator when I started out: it's a useful tool but a bloomin' nuisance when you don't know.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by hairyspin; October 8th, 2017 at 12:40.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Progress is being made. Thanks, Hairyspin for the last update. It did help. Right now my problem is the resolution. When I went back and looked at the blue/white initial Poly Map in Photoshop, I was somewhat shocked to see that Gmax had saved it at 7.62 pixels/inch, so that's the way it came into Photoshop. No wonder (thought I) that it was so heavily pixelated on the model when I built my texture. The (seemingly) obvious solution was 'more pixels/inch'. I re-saved at 300 dpi. Gmax couldn't load a file that big, (1.3 Gb) So I re-saved again at 120 dpi. This time it loaded just fine, but was just as pixelated. The 'dpi/quick fix' didn't work.

Here's Milt's previous advice:

So, to get high resolution, you must map so that the pixels per inch/foot/meter are sufficient to give the required resolution.
    Divide your object length or width by the pixel width of your bmp to get the result.
    For large exterior scenery objects, or close up detail like in cockpits, you need more pixels per unit to get that resolution.
    For a 20 meter wide fence, for example, using a 1024 X 1024 bmp, you have only 51 pixels per meter to give detail (1.3 pixels per inch or 15.6 per foot).

My building (1 unit=1foot) is 40 ft. wide. I can't see the bitmap size without collapsing the Stack (can I do that at this point?) but it was somewhat on the order of 1080x1080. That gives me 27. Does that mean 27 pixels/foot? Looking at Milt's last statement, I'm assuming that the numbers given are examples that are too low. (?) What is an acceptable (threshold) number of pixels to achieve a reasonable resolution? If my numbers don't get me there, what do I adjust: the model or the bitmap?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.jpg  

SOH-CM-2023
    I would expect it to be pixilated when looking in Gmax, but when its viewed in FS it should not be. One of the problems one gets used to.
    Keith

With scenery, consider viewing distance, and frame rate friendliness. E.G. will there be 50 copies of this in one scenery area? How close will the building or fence be to passersby?

To get a sense of what you should be using, look at scenery files you have and how they display at typical viewing distances.

Also, please visit FSDeveloper for guidance as they have a large group of scenery developers there.

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Hauksbee View Post
    The (seemingly) obvious solution was 'more pixels/inch'. I re-saved at 300 dpi. Gmax couldn't load a file that big, (1.3 Gb) So I re-saved again at 120 dpi. This time it loaded just fine, but was just as pixelated. The 'dpi/quick fix' didn't work.
    The DPI setting in Photoshop is for printing purposes only and has no impact on FS.

What I do is make my textures at a pitch of 10 pixels per foot.

So a 1024 wide texture will cover 102.4 feet of surface on my model. Actually a bit less as you never want to map to the edge of your texture. I leave at least a 2 pixel border on my textures that is unmapped.

For the side of a building that is 20 feet long by 10 feet high I need 200x100 pixels of texture real estate. At that resolution things look real nice in the sim.

For buildings that you cannot get real close to in the sim you could use less pixels per foot.

Note that you should try to use the same resolution on all of your building or you can get some blurry textures in the sim.

cheers,
    Lane

Thank you all for the come-back. I may be in better shape than I feared. First, my objects will never be seen close-up. Check the image below. This is the German airfield at Boistrancourt. In "Wings Over Flanders Fields" (modded from CFS3) the default airfield is a few hangars and revetments. (seen at the far left of the pic.) The rest (a sugar factory) has been built from existing buildings in CFS3 by RAF_Lou. My job is to build a brick fence around the chateau/estate; a series of modules, each 60' x 10'. Also a guard tower, a water tower, some wood fences and re-build the revetments. The building is done.

The runway (direction of take-off) is to the left. Direction of Final Approach is from the right, over the factory. No observer will get anywhere near my models.

What I need then, is a tutorial on importing and placing my test model in CFS3.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CFS3 2015-01-05 18-05-30-80.jpg  

I thought my last question (how to export from Gmax--import and place in CFS3) would be an easy one. If anyone knows the answer to this one, it's got to be you guys here at SOH. Don't want to be a pest, but I'm so close on this I'm chewing my nails.

Quote Originally Posted by Hauksbee View Post
    I thought my last question (how to export from Gmax--import and place in CFS3) would be an easy one. If anyone knows the answer to this one, it's got to be you guys here at SOH. Don't want to be a pest, but I'm so close on this I'm chewing my nails.
    I can't help you with CFS3, maybe a post in the CFS3 forum would get more attention.

cheers,
    Lane

OK, Thanks.

I've been struggling with UVW mapping in Gmax even after following all the tutorials I can find. I'm sure there's something simple that I'm overlooking.

I create something as simple as a 3d box, and leave it as an editable mesh making sure to have nothing selected when I close mesh modifier. I then do a mesh select, choose face, and select my faces on one side, use a planar map and setup the gizmo and stuff per Miltons tutorials. I do this for all 6 sides. Now here's where it goes south, when I select an unwrap UVW modifier on the top of the stack, the only faces I can edit in the unwrap window are the last faces I mapped. I've tried what is shown in the tutorials and I can't seem to get any other sides of the box to show up in the unwrap window other than the last one I mapped. The ONLY thing that works is to collapse the entire stack before applying the unwrap modifier.

Is that the 'correct' way to do this ?

Edit- headdesk, NEVER saw this reply in the few years I've been trying to figure this out:
    Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    I have often regretted that screenshot: having mapped all five sides, just apply Edit Mesh>Unwrap UVW and then Edit. I was trying to show how simply applying an Unwrap would not show the mappings of the entire object.
    Also, when mapping each individual group in the mesh select modifier, is there a way to hide just those faces so I can't select them in the following mesh select grouping ?
    "May fortune favor the foolish"
    MaddogK

Quote Originally Posted by MaddogK View Post
    I've been struggling with UVW mapping in Gmax even after following all the tutorials I can find. I'm sure there's something simple that I'm overlooking.

I create something as simple as a 3d box, and leave it as an editable mesh making sure to have nothing selected when I close mesh modifier. I then do a mesh select, choose face, and select my faces on one side, use a planar map and setup the gizmo and stuff per Miltons tutorials. I do this for all 6 sides. Now here's where it goes south, when I select an unwrap UVW modifier on the top of the stack, the only faces I can edit in the unwrap window are the last faces I mapped. I've tried what is shown in the tutorials and I can't seem to get any other sides of the box to show up in the unwrap window other than the last one I mapped. The ONLY thing that works is to collapse the entire stack before applying the unwrap modifier.

Is that the 'correct' way to do this ?

Edit- headdesk, NEVER saw this reply in the few years I've been trying to figure this out:

Also, when mapping each individual group in the mesh select modifier, is there a way to hide just those faces so I can't select them in the following mesh select grouping ?
    MDK,

You should collapse the stack before using the unwrap modifier, or you can do it after each uvw map is added.

I created a video for you explaining it all.

Also, get in the habit of assigning a material id to all polys before mapping. It makes the process go much faster and you can ensure you haven't missed any polys in the selection or mapping.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n7d60brhn0...apbox.zip?dl=0
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    MDK,

You should collapse the stack before using the unwrap modifier, or you can do it after each uvw map is added.

I created a video for you explaining it all.

Also, get in the habit of assigning a material id to all polys before mapping. It makes the process go much faster and you can ensure you haven't missed any polys in the selection or mapping.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n7d60brhn0...apbox.zip?dl=0
    TY sir. I knew it was something stupid. I didn't want to collapse the entire stack unnecessarily incase I needed to fix some mapping, and I couldn't undo back that far.

So, select poly (or faces), assign ID, map, then collapse. Will give it a shot.
    "May fortune favor the foolish"
    MaddogK

Quote Originally Posted by MaddogK View Post
    TY sir. I knew it was something stupid. I didn't want to collapse the entire stack unnecessarily incase I needed to fix some mapping, and I couldn't undo back that far.

So, select poly (or faces), assign ID, map, then collapse. Will give it a shot.
    Yes, and remember to assign material ids to each poly(s) you want to map separately.
    Set your poly(mesh) Select, select by ID, add uvw, collapse.

If you make a mistake or oversight, just redo the process for the incorrect polys.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Members who have read this thread: 3