Spitfire MkVIII - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Spitfire MkVIII

Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    ...I am curious through, are there plans for this model to evolve into other variants, a long wing Mk. VII or various clipped wing models?
    No, no, no; I need a Mk. XI (Photo Reconnaissance) version, lol.

But it's a wonderful model and a welcome addition!!

ACC Member, ETO and PTO contributor & librarian

Well I don't mind a XI either, or an XIX or a etc etc.

Lol I don't know Steve's intentions on other versions, but I would love to have the HF variant with the extended wingtips!
    Not a fan of the LF clipped version, spoils the classic looks! : )

The mesh is an FS9 conversion, Steve has done a great job getting it into CFS3!

Personally I don't think it's suitable to be used as a MKIX, and as mentioned above we already have a very nice MKIX, if you don't have it, you need to get it!
    John
    (DR/ MAW/ ETO/ PTO Textures)

Keep it coming!

I see you are still splashing paint on everything John! Great work, as usual!

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    I see you are still splashing paint on everything John! Great work, as usual!
    Cheers Scott, yea still keeping my hand in!
    John

Keep it coming!

Nice work John! and quick!

At this point I am planning on the 3 mk8 versions.

havent thought about it beyond that though I wont rule them out.

Quote Originally Posted by sdsbolt View Post
    Nice work John! and quick!

At this point I am planning on the 3 mk8 versions.

havent thought about it beyond that though I wont rule them out.
    That's great Steve, all three MK VIII's will do very nicely!

I like the MK VIII Spitfire, especially the HF, so when I had my first look at the model, I started and didn't stop.

I'll be sending you and Rob something very soon!
    John

Keep it coming!

Very cool! Does this imply that we will see Mk.VIIIs with all three wingtip designs (was there a clipped wing version?) or different performance based on the three different engine types? Either way, I'm looking forward to it.

In general I agree with you, John, on the clipped wings not looking as good, but somehow the clipped winged Mk.XII nearly tops my list for favorite looking Spitfires, not so much for elegance as for being just plain aggressive looking (Mk.IA still wins out though). And the clipped wing versions were fairly common and rather under represented to date - I had to uninstall that stock atrocity of an LF.IXE, couldn't stand it.

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Looking great!!! Can't wait!!

Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    Very cool! Does this imply that we will see Mk.VIIIs with all three wingtip designs (was there a clipped wing version?) or different performance based on the three different engine types?...
    I'm not sure the Mk.VIII ever sported clipped wings. There was also one fitted with a cut-down rear fuselage and teardrop canopy (JF299) and tested in August 1943, so Mk.XVI and some Mk.IX airframes and most of the Griffon-engined marks were built that way. Lots of the Griffon marks had clipped wings.

I agree it wouldn't be hard to improve on the stock Mk.IX. Like most of the stock models!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Beautifull!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www3.telus.net/murrdaka/

Good catch! That's a new photo to me, carry on!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Yes there's that one and this US hack too! Info and pics of the clipped VIII are quite hard to come by though!
    From all the info I've read there were three versions F, HF, LF.
    The F was the normal fighter version, which used the Merlin 61,63, and 63A engines, the HF was the high altitude interceptor with the Merlin 70 and extended wing tips, and the HF was the low altitude fighter, which used the Merlin 66, and had clipped wings. All had strengthened airframes, and retractable tail wheels, and leading edge fuel tanks in the wings. The early versions had the old style rounded tail fins, the later versions, (as in this model) had the broader pointed tail fin. They also had three hard points to carry bombs/fuel, centre line rated at 500lb, and one on each wing rated at 250lb a piece.
    The MKVIII was supposed to be the ultimate Spitfire at the time, but due to production problems with this version, the stop-gap MK IX stole it's thunder! The MK IX was basically a MK V airframe with the later bigger Merlin stuck on the front, and as we know proved itself to be very successful!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ggg.jpg   ttee.jpg  
    John

Keep it coming!

It's odd that both pictures show aircraft that weren't in frontline service anymore. Surely there would be some actually being flown on sorties?

Another question, was the Mk.VIII ever used in Europe (other than Italy/Southern France)?

Photos of clipped wing Spits are few and far between anyway and extended wingtip photos are even rarer. The Mk.VIII was used in the MTO and Far East where its stronger construction was a bonus, but European service was dominated by Mk.IX which came out first, and Mk.XVI then replaced by Griffon-engined marks.
    Tom

Blog Entries
    Such a great knowledge base here,learn something new every day. I know a good deal about US,German ,Italian,and Russian aircraft.Sadly i know about some British aircraft,but the Spitfire has so many variants its easy to get lost! Thanks guys for the info.

Blog Entries

Thanks sdsbolt

What a lovely MK VIII !! Thanks for all the time and research involved with this project.It was,to me the most beautiful aircraft of WW2,and even now. Thanks sdsbolt WATCH OUT !!!!You Fw-190's !!!! HERE WE COME!!!!!

Brilliant news - she looks very good!

I've seen photos of MkVIIICs with clipped wings, standard wings and somewhere, one with extended wings. As the wingtips were theoretically interchangeable, all things are possible, even if I'd be challenged to say where I saw it! There's also a well-known photo in the Osprey book of one with 4 20mm cannon and (of course) the bigger initial-type wing blisters - Sqn Ldr Eric Gibbs, 54 Sqn, Darwin, April 1944. Worth modelling, even if it is unusual.

Needless to say I'm hoping for a SAAF one for MAW!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

Blog Entries

Hopeful

I very hopeful that Steve ,and others, can make converted FSX aircraft for CFS3. I wish there was a way i could learn this process to do it myself. Hey Steve,how/were did you learn this converting process ? What programs do you use and were can i get them to start helping out the CFS3 community with more aircraft. Is there a tutorial web site or guide available for newbees,like me to get help to get through this programming hurdle? Any help would be helpful , as this seems very rewarding thing to do.

Nice to see you around Nigel! ;-)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www3.telus.net/murrdaka/

Blog Entries

Ole' Friends

Hey Ndicki !!!! Ole' buddy!! (I'm the ole' sixstrings, Scott from La. ) Been in and out for a while,(health stuff). Kind'a lost touch for a while,(sorry). I still love CFS3 and all it's variations . Will try and be more active and contribute more to the CFS3 community. I have noticed that there isn't as much activity between members and ,what seems to be, a hard core few doing amazing work ie. ETO,PTO-RS,new aircraft and more . Glad to see people that has been around since the early days! Hope all is well with you. Take care buddy.

Ok texture is pretty much where I want it to be now, I'll have to find A SAAF one for you Nigel!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shot01-30-15-15-53-01.jpg   Shot01-30-15-15-53-31.jpg   Shot01-30-15-15-53-48.jpg   Shot01-30-15-15-53-54.jpg   Shot01-30-15-15-58-20.jpg   Shot01-30-15-15-59-44.jpg  

Shot01-30-15-16-01-54.jpg   Shot01-20-15-01-29-19.jpg  
    John

Keep it coming!

Lovely paint job they look so life like. How did you paint them so fast? Thanks to the modeller for his hard work too.

Members who have read this thread: 0