The Caspian Sea Monster

Thread: The Caspian Sea Monster

Icon22 The Caspian Sea Monster

Alphasim's "LUN" (Dove) class Ekranoplan has been a mainstay for me for the longest time and I was wondering if there were any other LUN drivers out there who use Shockwave's 3D lights on the model....? If so, would you be willing to share the lights config? The forward and center lights are modeled in and I haven't the "foggiest" idea what the locations would be....

There was only one "LUN" built and "MD160" was equipped with the SS-N-22 Sunburn antiship missiles as well as the P-270 Moskit (Mosquito) guided missile.. She entered service in 1987 with the Black Sea Fleet, Soviet and Russian Navy until the late 1990's, when she was de-commissioned. She now sits in an unused naval station in Kaspiysk. The Russian Defense Ministry has no plans to re-activate the program.

I have navigated portions of the Baltic Sea, as well as Southern Ocean in FS9 with this model, when I need a break from flying from time to time.
    Some interesting photos: http://www.guns.com/2014/06/30/sovie...e-photosvideo/
    Wikipedia Info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lun-class_ekranoplan

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

Funny you should bring up the ekranoplan as I have been messing around with them this past week.I have been toying around making fictional bases with AI.
    Sorry.I can't help with the Shockwave Lights as I don't have it.
    Long live "extreme boating"!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	09061401.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	12090

That looks pretty good so far, Horus... There are a few fictional Russian Navy and Soviet Navy repaints out there for the Orlenok as well as the LUN. I believe I have a fictional all black scheme for the Orlenok, with the "Jolly Roger" flag on the tail somewhere too ("drink up me hearties, Yo Ho!" ). Surprisingly, the oceans in FS9 are pretty accurate in terms of size and scale in the sim. The ekranoplan is neither a "boat" or an "aircraft", but a little bit of both.

I found a few repaints for both models over at Avsim dot com.

BB686

Isn't the net amazing? Thought I'd check and there it is on google maps right where you said.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LUN.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	12100
    For the longest time I fussed with the cfg of this to get it to "fly" yet leave a wake as the real one did. I got close but without constant attention it would always dig in a wing tip and loop. Looked pretty darn good until then though.
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

Since the LUN really isn't an aircraft, it can't hold the title of the largest aircraft ever built. That claim to fame still belongs to "The Spruce Goose", designed by Howard Hughes. The LUN, however is considerably larger, and displaces more water than Howard's "Spruce Goose" and it has "flown" further....

That photo really gives the perspective of just how big the Russian Ekranoplan's were back then. An even bigger version of the LUN Class vessels was in the works as a "SAR" platform, but the machine never got off the drawing board.

BB686

The KM was even larger! I'd definitely like to see this one for FS9!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caspian_Sea_Monster

The KM was not a LUN class WiG vessel, it was in a class by itself, even larger than the proposed LUN class SAR ships. It's cruising speed, 267 MPH and a top speed of 311 MPH were impressive for such a large craft. The other two engines, not seen in the artists illustration were mounted on the vertical tailplane, the beast had 10 engines! What a BEAST!

BB686

Members who have read this thread: 0