Best Pilot Figure (CFS2)

Thread: Best Pilot Figure (CFS2)

Best Pilot Figure (CFS2)

Hi;

wanted to see if there was a good pilot figure out there, preferably FSDS, but I can convert from GMax if need be. This would have to be either freeware, or from someone willing to share. I do have the figures from the Ju88 source (converted from GMax) that came with the CFS3 SDK, but I don't have the textures nor the mapping, and I find the figures themselves are a little sloppy. The challenge (for me, at least) is getting a convincing figure that uses under 900 polys (this is for CFS2.) I'd rather not start from scratch, as my time is very limited, and I'd like to get this done in the next ten years or so.

Any suggestions welcome.......

Paul

Are you looking for a WWII Pilot?

It would depend on Nationality and year I guess. You could make a generic one. Tough you do have early war and late war differences to consider. O2 masks and that sort of thing.

Talk to Shessi, he has a nice one for the Germans. look here...

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...y-Captain-Kurt!

There are others. The Korean War SID pilot and MW's RAF pilot. You can get perms for these rather easy.

Here is something you can try with the JU88 pilot. If the model is mapped in Gmax, try compiling the model. Then Use modelconvertx to export it as a FSDS model. you may be able to keep the texture mapping that way.

I think Allen has used CFS3 models before. He my have the textures or can help get it in a workable format for you.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

Let's see, mid- to late-war Luftwaffe. I'm looking for the FSDS source for a pilot figure that I can incorporate into an FSDS model. That Gmax stuff always baffled me, never could learn how to use it. Tweaking a figure to fit though isn't a problem.

I'd remap the pilot figure from the Ju88, but I long ago deleted CFS3, and wouldn't have the first clue where the disks where. Ideally, I'd love to the get the texture(s) and the appropriate UV maps (as created by ACM, an invaluable tool) for it, that would make the remapping a snap.

I'll try your suggestions. Thanks!

Paul

Another Possibility

Hi Paul,

There's wolfi's pilot figure already in FSDS source code. Different heads included. Link

Dave

I have a number of pilot figure from the stock CFS2 aircrafts in gMax format. Also 900 polys is quite large. Most CFS2 single engine aircraft are in the 4,000 to 5,000 polygon count. A pilot figure that detailed just eats up polys that could be used else where.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

How times have changed! There are pilot figures in FSX thousands, if not tens of thousands, of polys...
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

The challenge is to make every poly count, to be sure. I tend to like my pilots detailed, I find a "stick figure" pilot to be distracting. The problem I face nowadays is I have very limited free time, so I also have to make every minute count as well. Wolfi's figure looks like a great place to start. Its a little poly-heavy, but as he points out, he included a lot of polys that can be deleted if not needed (for instance, he modeled the entire head, and also the helmet, which covers the head. Lots of "hidden" polys there that can be eliminated.)

I suppose it would be nicer to model for FS9 or FSX, I do get jealous that they have so many polys to play with. However, the right combination of textures and polygons can take a simple model and give it the illusion of an incredibly complex and detailed model. It is easy to make a great model when you have enough polys to model every nut and bolt in excruciating detail. It is a lot harder when you only have enough polys to work in "broad strokes", as it were. But then again, I love a challenge!

I think I've got just what I need. Thank you very much!

Paul

Members who have read this thread: 0