This weekend at a flight sim cockpit conference I was able to try out the new Oculus Rift Development Kit 2 (DK2) with PD3 2.3. I flew the Maude for three turns around the pattern in some basic airport in some basic scenery. However, this this is amazing.

The immersement factor is is almost like being in the real aircraft. No seat of the pants stimulation and looking down at your amputated legs in the cockpit sort of takes it away a little. Other than that it was an amazing experience. Unlike IR Track which forces you to move your head only a few degrees, with OR your head movement is natural. A camera captures your movements and turns them into the same movement in the airplane. So, you can turn and look into the back seat, under the dash, stick your head out of the window, or look down at your legs...which weren't there. The visual will follow.

Flying the pattern was very natural and much more like real world flying. I felt like I was in the airplane. I was told that some people are getting vertigo while wearing the OR.

The only negative for me is the inability to see inside a real cockpit and flip the switches. I can find the switches blindfolded, but setting a radio freq. would be tough with the OR on. Now, if they could made it where you could reach into thin air and see your hand turning a knob or flipping a switch....

I know that is coming. I just hope I live long enough.