B-17 coming to Roanoke

Thread: B-17 coming to Roanoke

B-17 coming to Roanoke

I found out last night a B-17 is coming to visit on Monday and will return later in the week for public viewing and rides. This doesn't happen too often in these parts! LOL!

Don

Looks like that one is the movie Memphis Belle. Beware, it seems the airport has laid down the rules about ground tours of her. From the Liberty Foundation website:

Sept 5 Roanoke, VA Public Ground Tours Friday ONLY
    Sept 6-7 Roanoke, VA Roanoke-Blacksburg Regional Airport (KROA) Landmark Aviation FBO 22 Waypoint Drive NW Roanoke, VA 24012
    By order of the airport NO GROUND TOURS on 6-7th.
    Ground Tours are Friday ONLY B-17
    Rides are Sat the 6th and Sun the 7th

That is going to royally suck for those who have to work on Friday and might only have Saturday and Sunday to see her.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Yep - the airport is strange about this type of thing. A new manager starts there shortly. Maybe things will change and ROA could have airshows and airport appreciation days as they once did. ROA has a pretty cool history. If other airports do it, certainly Roanoke can. There is little difference between Roanoke and Lynchburg, and they have airshows with the Blue Angels as their headliner. Once again, Roanoke misses the boat, or plane in this situation.

Don

It is very unfortunate as we enjoy getting to show the aircraft to folks after we are done flying. Not everyone can afford a ride of course, and it is nice to let those folks who can't fly get to see the airplane on the ground....

Just had a video published today about the Foundation, check it out!

Champaign Lady Volunteer.

I saw her flying today. I'll head over during the week to look her over. Are you there all week, Adam?

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Bushpounder View Post
    I saw her flying today. I'll head over during the week to look her over. Are you there all week, Adam?

Don

Nope... I am coaching high school soccer now so my touring is done for the season... I may go to one more stop in October but I am not sure yet....

This was from New Garden airport in PA 3 years ago.

Just had the Collings Foundation here at KILG this past week. Once I figure out what happened and how to get the photos off my phone I'll post the ones with their 2 bombers and the P-51C.

It's been awhile Witt, what's going on to replace Liberty Belle? Is the other B-17 airframe you guy's had being used or what? Hope to see you guys back up here with MB next year.... we can sit and have a beer.
    Gary -

Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG - Member 7G Club
    Member of the War Eagles Air Museum Santa Teresa, NM
    KILG Tour Coordinator and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
    Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, PA.

I went and paid her a visit today, Adam. She's a beauty.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	belleRW.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	12045

Don

I's great to see and be with a piece of movie history isn't it Don?

BTW Witt, do you know why Belle is wearing a red bathing suit on the port side and a blue suit on the starboard side?

I sure wish we could have a gathering of B-17s somewhere here on the East Coast someday.
    Gary -

Thats awesome you got to go out and see her!

Gary, Not positive on Liberty Belle process... The original plans were for the Dyke plane to be it's own project. That aircraft for as far as I know, is still technically owned by Mr. Don Brooks and is not part of the Foundation. The airframe we got out of California is not in a state of airworthiness and would nee extensive rework to make it flyable.

As for the red & blue.... I don't have a definitive answer. On the real Belle, they are reversed from whats on this airplane. A rumor I did hear was they matched the wingtip lights on the wings for each wing. So red suit was on the wing w/ the red light.

Don't know if that was the real motivation or not...

It might have also been a case of just using whatever paint was on hand to finish the artwork.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Well, at least it's good to see you guys back in the air Witt. As I said before, I hope to see you and the guys up here next year at New Garden for their airshow.
    Gary -

Members who have read this thread: 2