SP2

Thread: SP2

SP2

I should know the answer to this by now, but....

I am running fsx, sp1 on win7 64bit and got to wondering about sp2. I dimly recall (dim part happens more and more) that it gets in the way of a lot of things, but cannot recall what.

So, should I install it, and what will it do for me?

Thanks in advance for all input.

Hesitate no longer, bung SP2 on straight away. Any model that doesn't support SP2 nowadays isn't worth the download or (perish the thought!) purchase price. They're not called Service Packs for nothing.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    I have a lot of addons, but even with FS2004 planes I never had a problem related to SP2.

Thanks. Pretty unequivocal.
    Bung it on I shall.

Quote Originally Posted by KellyB View Post
    Thanks. Pretty unequivocal.
    Bung it on I shall.
    .....unless you want to go straight to Acceleration - in which case you won't need it.

Dave

I did install it and haven't run into any problems so far.

I don't see anything about Acceleration that would intice me to get it; don't do multiplayer or carrier ops much. Am I missing something?

Again, thanks to all.

I don't see anything about Acceleration that would entice me to get it; don't do multiplayer or carrier ops much. Am I missing something?
    Again, thanks to all.
    Acceleration gave you access to DX10 technology, there were scenery enhancements for a handful of airports and it gave you three new airplanes: P-51 Racer, EH-101 Heli and the FA-18 Hornet. There might have been additional enhancements in ground textures and such but I don't find anything that addresses those specifically.

SP 2 gives you access to Dx10 technology.

I don't see anything about Acceleration that would intice me to get it; don't do multiplayer or carrier ops much. Am I missing something?

Again, thanks to all.
    Hi Kelly,

For some addons, Accelleration is required. For instance the magnificent A-1's by Piglet, you need Accelleration. Quite a few payware addons require them too.

Take care,

Dumonceau

I would say that Acceleration is what's needed.

As mentioned on our website, SP2 and Acceleration were developed by different teams within Microsoft. SP2 was a temporary fix to earlier problems within FSX, and Acceleration did the same fix but also supplied many more features to FSX and changed certain aircraft parameters (flight dynamics and engine parameters are more accurate with Acceleration), and in our opinion made it a more accurate and much better experience. As such, the code is different in each, which is why newer aircraft aren't always suited to running with the older SP2.

Mike

Thanks to all of you for your insights.
    I've installed SP2, and will ponder Acceleration some more. Most of the planes I fly seem to work just fine for me, and I'm probably not enough of a "connoisseur" to be able to notice subtle differences in flight models, but I might spring for the package later on.

Members who have read this thread: 1