fs2004 air file- engine horsepower setup

Thread: fs2004 air file- engine horsepower setup

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Blood_Hawk23 View Post
    it helps if you read the info and see that it mentioned both recip and TP. I removed the entry and ran it in airwrench. I see the effects now.

i turned off the turbo in the airfile. I also turned off 1520.

i added the min gov rpm of 575 to both the air and cfg. don't know how that will effect you. you might notice it on the ground. not sure where the number came from but airwrench had it there even though its wasn't in the airfile or cfg.

the data i'm seeing seems to be close to your desired numbers. I have one more program that I can run it all through.

have you checked the flight dynamics? you might have too much drag. just a thought.
    Hmm... well the turbo entry in the air file was set in that record when I was experimenting with adding a turbo late last week but I forgot to change it back when I removed the turbo from the CFG file. Supposedly FS9 overrides that setting in the air file with the CFG setting so I didn't think it critical to remove it at the time.

The compression of THAT particular engine in this aircraft is very specific- and set to the documented spec in the CFG file.

Fuel capacity in the air file is overridden by the CFG file (I'm told) but the documented performance is of a 75 gallon laden aircraft, 2 crew, and 2-220 lb bombs.

I'm unsure about the airframe drag, but it was stated many times in the docs I have that is was a very low drag aircraft, so I assumed a value slightly higher than the slipperiest aircraft at the time- the DH.88 Comet. (incidentally the value I started with was that of a DC-3). I think the value I'm currently using is somewhere between the two.

I imagine it's easier to lie to FS to get the proper performance but I'm trying to understand why the correct values don't work, so this is a re-learning experience for me as I haven't touched an air file in a few years. I've been working the prop tables for documented performance at wide open throttle so they should be pretty close, it's just that HP reported by AFSD at part throttle that drives me crazy as 1850 RPM cannot be used as a cruise setting with such a low HP value used by FS even tho it's historically accurate. There's NO possible way I'm going to get the expected range of 1750 miles @ WOT, and at service ceiling @ 1850 RPM I'll be lucky to remain airborne.

I guess I could overpower the engine to get the cruise HP desired, then gimp the WOT prop tables but I'm trying not to do that.
    Last edited by MaddogK; August 27th, 2014 at 07:39.
    "May fortune favor the foolish"
    MaddogK

Members who have read this thread: 1