Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 X2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 X2

Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 X2

Thought I would spoil myself a bit and get myself with

This...

Attachment 72549

The reviews I've read have got alot of good things to say about this card and I can't wait to give it a whirl!
    Anyone else got some comments of firsthand experiance. I would appreciate it. I would be replacing a 8800 GTX, would I see a increase in fps?
    I know some are going to say it will not make that much of a difference in FSX, but I do play other titles. By the way has anyone given DCS Black Shark by Eagle Dynamics a go?

Ben

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBenn21 View Post
    Thought I would spoil myself a bit and get myself with

This...

Attachment 72549

The reviews I've read have got alot of good things to say about this card and I can't wait to give it a whirl!
    Anyone else got some comments of firsthand experiance. I would appreciate it. I would be replacing a 8800 GTX, would I see a increase in fps?
    I know some are going to say it will not make that much of a difference in FSX, but I do play other titles. By the way has anyone given DCS Black Shark by Eagle Dynamics a go?

Ben
    Unless you play other games that will take advantage of the second GPU it will not add much to the frame rates on FSX, however the HIS HD4870 ICE-Q4 Turbo and HIS HD4850 ICE-Q4 is just as fast and a lot cheaper. However this card is kickarse in other games that use that second GPU.
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

harleyman
    I agree that it will not give large advantages...But I use the 4870X2 also and find the colors to be excellent ..

But its a smokin card ..

Let us know if this is your first ATI card ,it takes some special attention to set up some times and tends to run very hot.But it can be cooled with the fans...

Thanks all.

It is my first ATI in quite a while. I would appreciate a little guidance with this one.

Thanks

Ben

harleyman
    Give me 15 minutes and I will give you a step by step......I will post it back here in this thread.....

SirBen.........
    First go get the newest 8.12 driver..For your OS ..Choose the first one with the complete CCenter (not just the drivers)
    Install it..then open your Catalist Control Center....
    On the left at the bottom select ATI Overdrive
    See the Key ..Click it to open Overdrive,,That will Un-Gray all the features
    Select (check) Manual fan Control Set it at 100% for now..You may be able to reduce it later to 80%..Yes it is loud...You will hear it spin up....As the card ehxausts out the back do not crowd it up against a wall..leave it as open as possible...LOL
    Select Apply..That will spin the fan up.......

Now Back to the left...Select 3D..Scroll down to All Settings...
    SmoothVision AA........Uncheck..Set at 8X
    SmoothVision AF........Uncheck.. Set at 16X
    Catalist AI............Uncheck.... Standard
    MipMap Detail Level...........Quality
    Wait for Vertical Refresh.........Quality
    Adaptive Anti-Alaising ..Check......Quality
    Open GL Settings....Check
    Now select Apply.....And OK...That will apply all your settings and drop the CCC into your Tool tray...It will also be in your Program files list..

Thats it.....You will notice on the ATI Overdrive Page that your Core and Memory Clock Speeds do not show correctly..No worries..its an ATI thing..Means nothing...

Hope this covers it for you.....
    These settings work great for me...You may need to play a tad here...but should be perfect for you too....

Thanks Harleyman

Much appreciated.

Ben

because I don't have small pictures
    Mason,

Thanks!! I'm trying your suggestions on my 3870X2; should be the same.

At the Open GL Settings do you mark both boxes? I have the Triple Buffering & Force 24-bit Z-buffering boxes.

Thanks,

Kevin

Blog Entries
    You would only apply triple buffering if using vertical refresh the other box Z buffering is for OPEN GL which FSX does not use
    Ted

harleyman
    Thanks txnetcop...You saved me butt there...I did not know how to answer Kevin......:woot:

Thanks, Ted & Mason!!

So, I'll leave both boxes unchecked, correct?

Kevin

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiens View Post
    Thanks, Ted & Mason!!

So, I'll leave both boxes unchecked, correct?

Kevin
    If you are going to use vertical refresh it would be wise to check triple buffering. If you are not going to use vertical refresh ya don't need it
    Ted
    Harleyman I just happened to be looking in don't mean to interfere here on the Guides ya do good work sir
    Ted

Well, heck Ted & Mason, I don't even know if I'm using vertical refresh!!!! Where do I check that?

Kevin

harleyman
    Check Open GL only ....

Try it ...If not good uncheck it and try again....

Blog Entries
    Kevin are you using Catalyst 8.12?

Yes. I did get an error message on reboot that the ATI 8.12 driver is not supported!! RivaTuner also said the same......

Kevin

Blog Entries
    Yes. I did get an error message on reboot that the ATI 8.12 driver is not supported!! RivaTuner also said the same......

Kevin
    I think I would use 8.10 with the HD3870x2, but you should be able to use 8.12 with HD3870. How about wiping the driver and start over Amigo. I will keep monitoring this. There are two ways use catalyst with FSX. The first one I will show here by pictures. In method one I have antialiasing turned off in FSX and let the drivers to that job but do have anistropic turned on in FSX.

Blog Entries
    Method 2 allows me more frame rates. I have anialiasing and anistrophic turned on in FSX and have the box checked in the CATALYST along with HDSmoothvision anistrophic. This allows the sim to use its settings. I also disable catalyst AI but some system require you to have it checked or you will see artifacts all over the place.

Blog Entries
    If you are going to use FSX in windowed mode uncheck the two top boxes in the CATALYST then make sure you are running in Native mode. Set them for 8xAA and 16x Ani not that you will really get those settings in native mode but you will have no jaggies in windowed mode and it still will not slow down your sim. You may also uncheck vertical refresh in windowed mode and triple buffering to see if it is smoother for you outside of the aircraft. You will have to experiment there but each monitor seems to handle it differently.
    Ted

Ted,

I haven't tried a flight in FSX with the 8.12 drivers yet, but I will and report back........

I have one more setting options under 3D. Your last option is All Settings; after that I have More Settings.

I also have an option for 16X in the Smoothness HS Anti-Alaising check box.

Thanks,

Kevin

edit: I don't fly in windowed mode, only full screen

harleyman
    Who knows ...Check em all...LOL

Actually I don't know ..More may bring up Vert Refresh...

I thought all Catalist were the same.....:help:

So did you get it going good?????

Icon5

Just wondering

Isn't there a program like nHancer for the ATI cards. That would make life a little easier.

Anyway

Thanks again

Ben

harleyman
    Are you having trouble getting it set up??

ASre you using the 8.12 CCC ?

There is ATI Tray Tools and Riva Tuner But to use them you must default your CCC back...

The ATI 8.12 drivers sure don't like my card or system!!!!! I'm rebuilding my video setup.......argh!

SirBenn21; Here is the link to the Catalyst Software Suite. http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_ca...=xp/radeonx-xp

Download it and your drivers are included. Note: this link is for XP not Vista!!

Kevin

The ATI 8.12 drivers sure don't like my card or system!!!!! I'm rebuilding my video setup.......argh!

SirBenn21; Here is the link to the Catalyst Software Suite. http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_ca...=xp/radeonx-xp

Download it and your drivers are included. Note: this link is for XP not Vista!!

Kevin
    Hold on gents it's only arriving on Tuesday I hope (sorry for the miss understanding), so I have to still put it in my PC, but I'm so glad you all have given some good tips before I get it.
    It just looks a bit different from my usual way of going things with my nVidia DC.

I've already downloaded the latest from the ATI website.

Ben

harleyman
    LOL Ben...Too funny....We thought you were struggeling...

How did that happen......:faint: :ernae:

Keep us posted please.....