1/14th scale truck,RC

Thread: 1/14th scale truck,RC

1/14th scale truck,RC

this is a 1/14th scale Tamiya Cascadia evo tractor.i have a tamiya flatbed trailer for it to pull,with more coming,im using the stock plastic wheels,but ill be adding aftermarket tires.i havent yet gotten the radio,will get it later today,spectrum 5ch radio.it will have sound,engine sounds,horn,turn signal annoying tick tick tick..full lighting on both the tractor and the trailer,it will have automatically raising and lowering support legs,ok just a few pics of it still in boxes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2151_zpsda441863.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	11073

Name:	100_2152_zps16900866.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	11074

Name:	100_2154_zps530358b6.jpg 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	11078

Name:	ltamc6340_zps9d159208.jpg 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	11081

Holy schnikes! 1/14 scale, which is huge, radio controlled, lights, sounds, operating support legs? And I thought I was something back in 1980 when I put operating headlights in an AMT 1/25 scale Kenworth W-925. The batteries were housed inside the sleeper and I had a tiny, slide switch sticking through the sleeper floor.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

thats cool...i always wanted to build and old 50s era police car and light it up..but when i was trying this..i just didnt know who to do..and radio shack was not my friend..lol...i did build a race car..just a basic nascar style late model..and i lit up the dash ..looked cool anyway.

I just built the 1/14th scale tamiya king hauler and flat bed trailer they are awsome want to buy another but the wife wont let me.

Quote Originally Posted by Agpilot25 View Post
    I just built the 1/14th scale tamiya king hauler and flat bed trailer they are awsome want to buy another but the wife wont let me.

fantastic,i have the flatbed too,am going to get the semi trailer in a few months..then comes the scratch built project.im going to buy a king hauler cab and parts for it from amazon or ebay..can get it for 40 bucks..and ill buy after market frame rails that are identical to the tamiya ones,only not pre-drilled,then ill add all the after market parts too..like aluminum cross members,front axle,rear end ,ill prolly use the tamiya mercedes rearend set up for single axle..it will be a day cab.then im going to use brass and copper to build a set of double bottom dumps,i will use a set of the trailer support legs ..the parts therein.to animate the bottom clam shell doors.a small motor and servo to each,using the inner support leg gear..the long on..like a rack and pinion deal..

have you gone here:
    http://www.rctruckandconstruction.com/

great bunch of people..and you need to get your wife into it...she will want one of her own!!

some minor updates

Ive begun construction on the truck,and on day one,i ran into a problem,i have to start by "binding" the reciever to the radio,and then setting up the multi-function control unit (MFC)to test it,and to set the position of the servo arms,,one for steering ,one ofr shifting the transmission (3 speeds/gear ratio's) and a third for uncoupling the fifth wheel.and ive got a mess laid out.

Name:	100_2174_zps011becd6.jpg 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	11178

Name:	100_2152_zps2c4a3cd1.jpg 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	11179

Name:	100_2175_zps97a5fa85.jpg 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	11180

Name:	100_2178_zpsf768ca3e.jpg 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	11181

and yet more progress..im really getin excited now,the wheels are not done yet..need to bolt them together and then do some detailing.

Name:	100_2195_zpsbf490501.jpg 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	11426

Name:	100_2194_zpsc7da6b23.jpg 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	11427

Name:	100_2193_zps8d28dd12.jpg 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	11428

Name:	100_2191_zpsbdcfcd47.jpg 
Size:	122.8 KB 
ID:	11429

more??

Name:	100_2189_zps8d6d60c2.jpg 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	11430
    i was being inspected.......uh oh

Quote Originally Posted by Daveroo View Post
    this is a 1/14th scale Tamiya Cascadia evo tractor.
    I retired two years ago, that's the last truck I drove in real life! It didn't have the big sleeper your model has, I was a regional driver when I retired, a couple of overnighters a week.
    I can't wait to see yours when it's done.

Picking up a load of BC apples....

thank you so much for your photo!! ive never seen one in RL,this one photo will help me alot..i honestly thought tamiya made this truck up as well.

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    just had a look at the manual for this truck kit, and I would love to build something like that myself!
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

thank you so much for your photo!! ive never seen one in RL,this one photo will help me alot..i honestly thought tamiya made this truck up as well.
    Yours is radio control... mine was manual LOL. If you need any tips on backing in to a virtual loading dock....

Quote Originally Posted by Alky View Post
    Yours is radio control... mine was manual LOL. If you need any tips on backing in to a virtual loading dock....
    lol..i might just take you up on this,,i got pretty good at it backing race car trailers and fire engines.

the cab in its yellow paint..now to decal it.

Name:	100_2198_zps105aca85.jpg 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	11456

the cab in its yellow paint..now to decal it.
    Update??

i had a wee accident,broke a piece of plastic which is too hole the front end on,cant find a replacement.the cat had knocked the rolling chassis off the desk in the middle of the night,i cant blame her though,cant tell a cat not to play.

Members +
    That's gonna be a cool truck when it's finished!! I'm so badly wanting to own an R/C version of the old "BJ & The Bear" Kenworth K100E and have wanted to do so for a LONG time - a full kit (including the reefer trailer) popped up on Ebay a couple of days ago - but I didn't have the $265.00 that the seller wanted for it.

A friend of mine took a Revell Kenworth K100 (with opening doors!) and built a kit out of it:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 58.jpg   57.jpg   56.jpg   55.jpg  

Members +
    Here's more:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 59.jpg   60.jpg   63.jpg   64.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    Here's more:
    Very very nice. In my years on the road I drove a few of those, not that paint scheme of course!
    Nice job!

thats pretty cool...are you a model builder?......if you go to this page http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0297p?C=CD and look down to about the 4th truck,,the globe liner,that could be a start for the conversion,there are plenty of websites out there with guys willing to help and encourage,just google RC trucks.and notice the 3 payment thing,they dont charge interest or anything,its how i got my stuff.

Members +
    Very very nice. In my years on the road I drove a few of those, not that paint scheme of course!
    Nice job!

I wish that this was mine, but it's not. A Facebook friend of mine who lives "down under" in Australia put it together and painted it. He did it all with a kit from Revell. I think he did an awesome job of painting the truck the way he did!!

I've always loved the "Salem" paint scheme on the Kenworth Aerodyne COEs. It just seemed to 'fit' that particular truck - any other paint scheme on them looked out of place - probably because I was and still am a big fan of "BJ & The Bear" even though I'm nearly 40 years old.

thats pretty cool...are you a model builder?......if you go to this pagehttp://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0297p?C=CD and look down to about the 4th truck,,the globe liner,that could be a start for the conversion,there are plenty of websites out there with guys willing to help and encourage,just google RC trucks.and notice the 3 payment thing,they dont charge interest or anything,its how i got my stuff.
    Daveroo,

Unfortunately, due to my disability, I don't build models - I have Cerebral Palsy & Hydrocephalus (I was born with both). I usually have someone else put models together for me.

I'll look into that website - and probably bookmark it - thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    any other paint scheme on them looked out of place - probably because I was and still am a big fan of "BJ & The Bear" even though I'm nearly 40 years old.

Well, I'm 68 and now retired but I remember watching BJ when it was on TV. Another one that I watched back in the day was "Movin' On" with Claude Akins. Some of the stuff they did was unrealistic, but it was entertaining. I met Claude Akins once and spoke to him. I pointed out a particular reality mistake and he said, "how would you do it?" I told him and he said, "you're right, that would have been more realistic for the show."

Just found a pic of both of them...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails movin_on02.jpg  

Members +
    Well, I'm 68 and now retired but I remember watching BJ when it was on TV. Another one that I watched back in the day was "Movin' On" with Claude Akins. Some of the stuff they did was unrealistic, but it was entertaining. I met Claude Akins once and spoke to him. I pointed out a particular reality mistake and he said, "how would you do it?" I told him and he said, "you're right, that would have been more realistic for the show."

Just found a pic of both of them...

Very cool pictures!! I've seen both trucks (owned by Paul Sagehorn) in pictures like this - but never in real life, sadly. I've never been able to go to a truck show where these are part of the show.

(Also, if you'll notice on the left side door of the "BJ" rig, it says "Paul Sagehorn."
    that's his replica BJ & The Bear rig that he built - even though he does, in fact, own an original truck from the show that he restored from the ground up (the latter truck was found in Douglasville, GA) - his is a 1984 Kenworth Aerodyne COE. That is, however, the actual truck from the "Movin' On" T.V. show. sitting next to it.

Members who have read this thread: 0