Flying Suitcase.

Thread: Flying Suitcase.

Flying Suitcase.

Howdy all,

I have managed to get my FSDS2 running again and loaded up my Hampden source files, been working the last few nights on modelling the exhaust dampers. The vanilla B.Mk.I and Damper version are hopefully complete model wise. Both Multi-LOD (4 levels) and breaking parts, wings, nose, tail, etc. Ihaveincluded as many animations as I can think that CFS2 supports.

Plans for next days include torpedo bomber (maybe with/without dampers, not sure yet), normal Bomber version with DF blimp rather than loop. Possibly after that, who knows, B.Mk.II, Hereford? One thing at a time. Whilst I'm enjoying the modelling side of things, I'm so far out of the CFS2 loop that I may need help with things like dp, air & cfg. Plus beta testing including AI performance. All versions need clothes, I have some in limbo waiting to be finished.

Jamie

PS. original conversion available second from top - http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...rid=145&sort=d

Attachment 10376
    New vents!!

Icon22 Reply...

Jamie,

First, I love the avatar, it gives me a chuckle knowing the story behind it. Here, they would have given you a less original nickname, like "clank."

Second, many thanks on resurrecting this. I've always felt that we needed to have a proper British bomber fleet to compliment that of the Americans and the Germans. We are getting so close to accomplishing this! The model details look great, and four LODs should provide excellent framerates. Keep posting your progress, and I'm sure you will get the support you need for the .air, .dp, and .cfg files.

Well done. Cheers!
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Thanks Rami,

I always think of Newtons cradle when I think of my old school nickname. Clack-clack. They served me well, 4 to go before the wires were snipped, much like yourself, unless you plan for more?

I'm just sorry this has taken so long, lost my FS mojo, I guess.

Would like to know initially what the best early British weapons are these days. The Ground Crew ones were good, but too big IIRC. Jed's were better but didn't include a 500lb bomb.

Do we need a specialized AI version? Utilizing AI bombs? Tail wheel steer angle, etc? Time will tell as I get up to speed again.

TTFN,

Jamie

Icon22 Reply...

Quote Originally Posted by JDTinballs View Post
    Thanks Rami,

I always think of Newtons cradle when I think of my old school nickname. Clack-clack. They served me well, 4 to go before the wires were snipped, much like yourself, unless you plan for more?

I'm just sorry this has taken so long, lost my FS mojo, I guess.

Would like to know initially what the best early British weapons are these days. The Ground Crew ones were good, but too big IIRC. Jed's were better but didn't include a 500lb bomb.

Do we need a specialized AI version? Utilizing AI bombs? Tail wheel steer angle, etc? Time will tell as I get up to speed again.

TTFN,

Jamie
    Jamie,

Given the powerful computers these days, an AI model is a luxury, not a requirement. As far as weapons are concerned, Tango's AI bombs are effective, but may not fit in a Hampden.

The weapons Bismarck13 did for the Beaufighter are excellent: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...tid=50&id=2907

Paul Rebuffat's weapons for his Spitfires are also a good choice: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...atid=50&id=513
    "Rami"

I can do weapons if needed OR you can do them in FSDS2 with Model Conveter X and CFS2 exploding object using FSDS 2 and Model Converter X.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...9&linkid=16639

CFS2 exploding object using FSDS 2 and Model Converter X is ment to make building that work like stock CFS2 building that blow up and leave rubble behind when destoyed but works fine for making weapons. Buildings and weapons are more or less the same. The main thing the sets a buidling apart from a weapon like a bomb is the DP in the OBJECTS_DP.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Fidenza, Northern Italy, 65 miles south of Milano
    Hello there, Jamie!

It's nice to see you back in the workshop, hammering away at some parts of the Hampden. She came a long way since the files you sent me a few years ago. Does this version still feature automatic slat deployment as the old one? Although CFS2 doesn't support slat lift, it's a great eye-candy for aircrafts equipped with them.

When I see them being deployed from my cockpit I know I am very close to stall speed, no room for screwups from then on!

I second Rami's suggestion for weapons. The most realistic RAF 250 and 500lb GP bombs, both in size scale and overall looks, were made by Bismarck13 for his Beaufighters. I hanged them basically in all of my RAF bomber fleet bomb bays and under all of my RAF fighter-bomber wings.

Rebuffat's Spit bombs are nice as well, but they look a tad too small, besides the 500lb is the late war short-tailed version, unfitting the Hampden operational wartime period.

Looking forward to your next release of yet another great looking Hampden! If you haven't touched her prop disc size and filename, I can provide you with my latest prop textures effort.

Cheers!
    KH
    My wee mods here at the Outhouse:

FileUploadName=kelticheart

Thanks guys,

hopefully this time we can get these babies launched. I have had a great lot of help from the original conversion team. Credits below.

Outhouse Conversion Team HP Hampden.zip

This is a FS9 to CFS2 conversion of Ted Cooks Handley page Hampden.
    This is a joint outhouse team effort
    Those responsible are.

JD Tindalls....MDl conversions and general tweakings above and beyond the call.
    Morton.........Beautiful Skins to match her beautiful lines.
    Kelticheart....Exhaust effects and new prop textures to spin your minds eye.
    Lobo...........for a panel to fly the heavens by.
    Buddha13.......For my humble contributions of sorting out the VC and dp.
    Onnogras for all the help he gave.

We would also like to thank,

Mathias and the Ground Crew team for allowing us to use their British weapons

Moparmike for allowing us to use his autoslats guage.

Green Ghost for his gauge-controlled exh effect.

RobH.......for his heads-up and beginning drive which started this
    conversion project.

If ther are any bit and pieces we may have used and we have not mentioned,We are sorry we have not given you the credit you deserve.

And finally a major thank you to Ted Cook who has provided us with many beautiful British bombers to convert over the past few years.

Category CFS 2 Aircraft - British
    plus extra help from Hewman100 supplying great pics and info, Moparmike for his engine gauges, etc. I also have Mortons skins which he gave me permission many moons ago to adapt to the new model. Thanks guys, and hope you are all well wherever you are.

Took last night off for an evening with family and will continue tonight on the Torpedo bomber version.

Jamie

The cast so far.

Attachment 10432Attachment 10433Attachment 10434

Torpedo version still needs model work. I have modelled the dampers and DF blimp. How many model variants do we need. Currently have 'vanilla', DF loop with dampers, Torpedo with DF blimp and dampers. Do we need 'vanilla' with DF blimp, Dampers with DF blimp, Torpedo without dampers, torpedo without dampers with DF loop, torpedo with dampers and DF loop, or any other combination I might have missed?

Jamie

Icon22 Reply...

Jamie,

Unless there are major changes to the model itself, one or two models should be more than sufficient. One can be a day bomber, the other can be a maritime patrol variant, capable of laying mines and / or torpedo-bombing. If you do the torpedo bomber, just make sure if possible to delete the bomb bay doors.
    "Rami"

Rami,

The torpedo mdl is specific to the variant. Only the centre section of each bay door was removed and to accommodate the length of the torpedo the floor beneath the ventral gunners seat was removed. You cansee the progress better in the pic below.

My quandry is, from the pics Hewman gave me the ventral gunner had a seat in the bottom of the fuselage behind the bomb bay, not as in Teds original that had the gunner sitting atop the rear of the bomb-bay. With the seat behind and so low, how would removing the floor make room for the torpedo with gunner butt in the way. Did the torp suitcases fly without ventral gunners? did they perch on the bombay like Teds version? I cannot find any information on this. Hewman, where are you when I need you?

TTFN,
    Jamie

Attachment 10437

PS. The torpedo needs moving to central position plus (I think) lowered to be flush with the gap in the doors. Also moved back as indicated above.

Icon22 Reply...

Jamie,

Since I have access to the Admin control panel, I fished out his e-mail and gave him a link to this thread. I also left him a message on Facebook for you.
    "Rami"

I received a summons, and here I be.

The TB.I had its central bomb doors removed and the outer ones fixed open. The mainframe immediately in front of the ventral gun position was shortened by 12 inches, making the position smaller and a little more cramped.

All Hampden MkXII torpedoes were fitted with the MATS, which Bismarck modelled for his Beau's and this sticks out at the rear of the bay.

It also looks to me from photos that the torp is mounted with the nose higher in the bay.

Here's a link to the model build which I think will make my blether a little more understandable:
    http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforu...?f=418&t=36816

Ian,

good to see you, hope you are well? Without your help I wouldn't have got half the results with the suitcase, so incase you don't frequent here much any more, a big thank you in advance.

The new info is great, I presumed that when they removed the rear gondola portion it actually meant they cut a hole in the floor for the torp tail. I had no idea it meant raising the floor by removing a section horizontally. That one has puzzled me for some time.

Do we have a torp that sits nose up? I remember nose down ones but no nose ups. I may have to compromise. Is it worth creating a new torp to add to the mdlnames count. Surely it's struggle enough to keep it small enough already? I'll dig into Williams weapons and check out his torps & bombs.

TTFN,
    Jamie

runs back to restart torp version from scratch, lol.

Right,

readjusted some stuff on the torp version, ready to raise the rear gondola floor. From the scan of a book page Hewman sent me ages ago, it states 12 inches was removed, scaling that into FSDS it takes far to much IMHO from pics/profiles I've seen. The rear gondola would be hightened by 2/3 of the bombay door hieght, severe, I think nearer 6 inches or so might be more suitable?

2-3mm x72=144-216mm (5.6-8.5inches) from Hewmans Airfix kit presuming it's a 1/72 scale kit. This may be best guessing on both our parts, but 12inches would be almost impossible to model in FSDS and leave enough room for the gunner.

Off to experiment.

Jamie

Sounds like a good compromise to me Jamie, I felt that as long as the step could be seen viewed side-on that was 'good enough for Government work'

I'm still pottering along, in my lack of CFS2 experience, I managed to fubar my only working install, have been working on the torp model and getting my install working again. Have also ordered a second hand book on the suitcase, Warpaint #57, it will help hopefully.

Will update as I get somewhere!!

Jamie

Williams Torpedo is great unfortunately it sits nose down, I need nose up. I'm working on trying to work out how to use a bgl to take a bgl with model and transform it to make a rotated version. Martin wrights' pilots do this for gunner variations, etc.

If any of you guys know how it would save me a lot of headaches, lol.

Jamie

PS. yet to try his bombs.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I can do weapons if needed OR you can do them in FSDS2 with Model Conveter X and CFS2 exploding object using FSDS 2 and Model Converter X.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...9&linkid=16639

CFS2 exploding object using FSDS 2 and Model Converter X is ment to make building that work like stock CFS2 building that blow up and leave rubble behind when destoyed but works fine for making weapons. Buildings and weapons are more or less the same. The main thing the sets a buidling apart from a weapon like a bomb is the DP in the OBJECTS_DP.

Allen,

great stuff!! Took Williams Beaufighter torpedo and made it sit nose up, pretty much worked as advertised, except the LODs. I have the low poly mdl as the main model, need to tweek that when I figure it out. Also need to test it works as advertised, ie. sink a ship, lol.

Williams read-me states you can pretty much do what you want, upload where you want, etc. So if I can get it working right, we're good to go.

thank you very much,
    Jamie

Attachment 11000Attachment 10999

Great to see this lady progress Jamie. I too am attempting to sort out a new CFS2 install, as I'm way out of date. You shouldn't have trouble with Williams' bombs, they're lovely things.

Quote Originally Posted by JDTinballs View Post
    Allen,

great stuff!! Took Williams Beaufighter torpedo and made it sit nose up, pretty much worked as advertised, except the LODs. I have the low poly mdl as the main model, need to tweek that when I figure it out. Also need to test it works as advertised, ie. sink a ship, lol.

Williams read-me states you can pretty much do what you want, upload where you want, etc. So if I can get it working right, we're good to go.

thank you very much,
    Jamie
    I use gMax so I don't know how FSDS dose LODs. After you make the BGL use Model Converter X's LOD drop down and check to see if the LODs did export in the BGL and/or if the LOD order got changed.

Attachment 11455

If the LOD are working right in Model Converter X but not in game maybe something in Model Converter X's X-file export is wrong OR I have seen that something in my object make set up is picky. Some times it will re-order LODs or add a empty LOD. To avoid this I found it best to set up LODs so that they start at LOD 100 and move down by 25. Ex: LOD 100, LOD 75, LOD 50 and LOD 25 will be the lowest.

Once you had made you object or weapon you can use Model Converter X view the Complete_My_Object.bgl. Load it into Model Converter X and click Set on the popup window. (Note: If you put 32767 in the Value box it will load the destryed model but since you making a weapon the destryed model is never used.) Once loaded you can see how the object or weapon will look ingame and check it LODs.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Jamie,
    If you're still having LOD probs, and need a hand then give me a shout etc.

As Allen states that's how the heirarchy should be, so the lowest poly is at the bottom (on the managed model list in FSDS), and obviously the main model should be highest poly count and at the top. The others must be re-named in the model manager as 'levels of detail models', also you must configure their 'seen' distance and pixel number, otherwise flightsims and MCX will show the lowest poly model.

Chars

Shessi

Allen & Shessi,

sorry been busy, didn't notice your posts. Have not had time to do anything much than a few hrs poly pushing, had to much other stuff to do. I'll get back to it ASAP and will certainly ask for help if I can't work it out.

thank you kindly gents.

Members who have read this thread: 3