Windows 8.1 and CFS1 incompatibility, reality or fiction?

Thread: Windows 8.1 and CFS1 incompatibility, reality or fiction?

Icon5 Windows 8.1 and CFS1 incompatibility, reality or fiction?

Just found this video on YouTube;

And my congratulations to the sim-pilot, he's a pretty good shot!!!
    Last edited by hubbabubba; July 14th, 2014 at 13:53.

SOH Staff
    that's pretty cool.
    i wonder if your patch was used.

the screen capture program,
    Bandicam, is also very interesting.
    sometimes the magic works.
    sometimes it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by smilo View Post
    that's pretty cool.
    i wonder if your patch was used.

the screen capture program,
    Bandicam, is also very interesting.
    I don't know if the "patch" was used, but he obviously had some control over his (or her?) Mustang. I usually don't fight from the cockpit 3D perspective, but it was doing the trick here. His (or, again, her) aim with the zoom-in was, shall we say, less precise...

I have downloaded and installed the non-registered version of Bandicam. My firsts attempts all ended with the game crashing. I had the same problem with a couple of other screen-capturing video program as well. I guess I will keep this one on the HD until I can give it a fair shot with a decent graphic card.

I've been tinkering lately with the idea of making CFS1 videos/tutorials, hence my interest in a good and unobtrusive program of that sort.

P.S.- Is there a way to correct that silly spelling mistake in the title. I made a correction but only the header of the message shows "incompatibility", and not "incompatibitility" as in the thread title. That's what happen when you don't have auto-correction to make you look smart.
    Torture numbers and they'll say anything.

Hubbabubba, Touche à tout.

Hubbub, I am the 'proud' owner of a PC running 8.1. I requested no operating system, intending to buy XP. The 'expert' advised me the drivers in 8.1 would be miles better for the games. Bo**ocks... absolute. And £80 down.

8.1 has a huge problem setting the screen resolution. No it doesn't, it hasn't a hope in hell of setting it. I've spent hours trying.

I can scrape by with CFS1, even though it appears I'm flying with a friend beside me (plus maybe two or three more). WIIIIIIIDE SCREEEEEEN.....

(I am still using the monitor I used with my old XP PC, so it's not a monitor prob.).

CFS2; the screen only shows half of the 'minimise' button, the other two must be in the next room. Minimising to the taskbar and right clicking to end the programme gives me a black screen and a mouse-controlled blue spinning circle.....forever.

The only way out is to switch the PC off at the case switch or right click to the task manager, which doesn't always show on request.

I spoke to the 'experts' who made the kit and they have helpfully offered to assist me to delete M$hyte 8 and install XP (which I have yet to purchase). All heart.

I won't list here the 'normal' odd behaviours I have come across in the week I have been using it, but it's that good I'm not risking putting it online.

'Null points' from Graham Sullivan, and I'm doing it the best favour ever.

M$ 8 is a self inflicted disease.

Graham.

SOH Staff
    hello Graham,
    many thanks for your input on this subject.
    i hope you don't mind, but,
    i deleted your first post.
    it was a duplicate of the current one
    with the last two lines missing.
    sometimes it doesn't.

SOH Staff
    I have downloaded and installed the non-registered version of Bandicam. My firsts attempts all ended with the game crashing. I had the same problem with a couple of other screen-capturing video program as well. I guess I will keep this one on the HD until I can give it a fair shot with a decent graphic card.

still haven't got one yet?
    there has to be a cheap one
    somewhere in your neighborhood.
    i will probably download and install Bandicam,
    but, for now, i am very busy on the home front.
    i have a ton of projects that have been on hold for years.
    retirement has finally given me the time to do them.

I've been tinkering lately with the idea of making CFS1 videos/tutorials, hence my interest in a good and unobtrusive program of that sort.

i like this idea and encourage you to go for it.
    according to the hype at the Bandicam download page,
    it is an unobtrusive program...apparently, it isn't.

P.S.- Is there a way to correct that silly spelling mistake in the title. I made a correction but only the header of the message shows "incompatibility", and not "incompatibitility" as in the thread title. That's what happen when you don't have auto-correction to make you look smart.

yes, there is a way and it's done.

i use to use ispell, but now,
    with firefox, it's automatic.
    another option is to use my email
    to write a text document.
    it tells me when i misspell,
    i correct it, then copy/paste the text.
    nothin' to smart there.
    sometimes it doesn't.

Thanks for "cleaning-up" my typo. (Yes, it was a typo... of sort).

I was finally able to make short AVIs, but my game crashes too soon. It is definitely a graphic issue; I'm filming a TG2 practice while flying close to the ground from Interlaken in the Dam Buster Lancaster and, when I switch from padlock to cockpit view, that's when the game crashes when I'm using Bandicam. Otherwise, it's a nifty little program, very intuitive and easy to use.

Here is an excerpt from the "performance" evaluation (translation in RED);

Carte graphique
    Afficher le type de carte Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family
    Mémoire graphique totale disponible 256 Mo Mb
    Mémoire graphique dédiée 0 Mo dedicated graphic memory
    Mémoire système dédiée 64 Mo dedicated system memory
    Mémoire système partagée 192 Mo shared system memory
    Afficher la version du pilote de la carte 8.15.10.1930 driver version
    Résolution du moniteur principal 1680x1050
    Version DirectX DirectX 9.0 ou version supérieure

To my own surprise, sometimes the computer tells me that it can't open the game due to a lack or resources!!! It never happened under W98SE (although the game would not start without any explanation, maybe W7 is simply more polite....

Now, the video files are ±200Mb, that calls for a bandwidth I can only dream of for now...
    ...my wife bought an Android tablet that is worthless without Wi-Fi, so I'm crossing my fingers.

The lack of resources may be a flaw with CFS1.

Command and Conquer: Red Alert 1 had a error but related to trying to save a game. The flaw was that the system to check space only works correctly on hard drives up to 2 GB. So it ignores the large numbers and only checks the lower ones. This mean your hard drive could have loads of free space but didn't know how to read large hard drives. The quickest way to fix this was to put more files on your hard drive and the game would think the disk was empty.

I'm betting that if you make your PC use more resources the CFS1 resources check system will roll back over to 0 and work fine.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    The lack of resources may be a flaw with CFS1.

Command and Conquer: Red Alert 1 had a error but related to trying to save a game. The flaw was that the system to check space only works correctly on hard drives up to 2 GB. So it ignores the large numbers and only checks the lower ones. This mean your hard drive could have loads of free space but didn't know how to read large hard drives. The quickest way to fix this was to put more files on your hard drive and the game would think the disk was empty.

I'm betting that if you make your PC use more resources the CFS1 resources check system will roll back over to 0 and work fine.
    Any suggestions for a "filler"? I have actually ±240 Gb doing nothing. Don't see myself copying "I will fill this hard drive." like Bart Simpson a gazillion time...

Partition Your Drive

Break up your 240 GB into multiple smaller partitions. I had to do this with my W98 system way back. It also might help to have CD and DVD sized partitions so you can either dump an entire CD or DVD in to get faster load times or to assemble data to archive to media.

Some of our old machines were dual boot with either SCO Unix, Solaris X86 or Linux.

- Ivan.

It is not such an annoyance as to go through all that procedure. Remember that my old main HD is "piggy-backing" as a slave disc and, as a W98SE HD, was divided into 12 partitions, now going from "E" to "P", the slave HD was also divided into 4 partitions.

When I get the message about having not enough resources, another clic or two (or three) set the problem. I can live with that...

Members who have read this thread: 0