Pitching Deck - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pitching Deck

Underway! has rolling. Never really gave any thought to pitching, but I'll add that in the next release. In Underway! rolling - and soon pitching - are controlled by the sea state and your angle to the wave motion... regardless of what flight sim says - the data are controlled by the Naval Engagement! server in the weather section of the scenario file.

Please excuse the intrusion, I was just across the hall in FS9 when I heard a commotion. "Pitching deck" caught my eye and this alone will get me to fire up FSX once more. I thought this effect would be a must in the box but any way it got done is great! For some reason, FSX seemed to run well on my machine but I found the scenery a bit too different for my experience so never spent time with it. Can't wait to get my new house livable and un-box the rig and get back to a more normal life. Thanks for a wonderful effect!

BTW... the download triggered a danger alert but I said yes anyway. Would that be a quirk at my end or is there something giving a false hit?
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

As I work at sea I love the whole pitching deck add-on from what I've seen I just hope the Next flight sim incorporates waves and sea states like some ship simulators have done.

gray eagle: I'd be glad to develop such an addon, but are you sure my program doesn't already support deck motion similar to what you're thinking of? You can set up to a maximum of 30 degrees of pitch and roll in the program itself, and pick whatever value you like if you modify the XML configuration file.

Dan: Glad you like it!

aeromed202: You're welcome! I can assure the file is safe and that it's a false positive. The VirusTotal analysis (for both the ZIP and the executable) shows that all 53 antivirus engines concur that it's clean.

petejg5: Glad you like it as well!

You can set up to a maximum of 30 degrees of pitch and roll in the program itself, and pick whatever value you like if you modify the XML configuration file.
    The only times I've seen 30+ degrees roll on a Frigate/Destroyer was when the Officer of the Watch put the wheel hard over at speed to clear the weapons arcs for a simulated engagement during an air raid. That's not to say you couldn't see it in rough seas but most FF/DD have stabilisers to reduce the roll amplitude anyway as it improves the effectiveness of the weapons systems.
    I hate to think what 30 degrees of pitch would do to the ship!
    I can't find my copy of the deck limits for operating the Lynx, but the sloping ground limit for landing was only around 10 degrees anyway so you wouldn't want the ship rolling more than that.

Earlier in the thread people were complaining that the maximum amplitude of 3 degrees wasn't enough (rightly so), so I wanted to pick a new value that would be enough for anything (regardless of boat size). I liked that 30 degrees was pi/6 radians, so I tried that, and it looked like more than enough for even the smallest boats in FSX. The maximum in program amplitude doesn't prevent you from choosing smaller values. Should I make another update and limit it to 10 degrees?

On my LST-1179 class ship - in the middle of a typhoon - I recorded a maximum roll of 68 degrees. Yes, 68 Degrees in about four seconds. Huzzah for flat bottom ships. We took green water over the signal bridge routinely in that storm. At the time I had the embarassing situation of try to update the classified material in Combat and had opened the doors to this HUGE standing safe. It promptly let me know who was in charge as the doors swung open - hitting the coffee pot next to it, spilling hot coffees on the deck - and Laurel and Hardy proceeded from there. Let's just say that thousand microfiche card pickup ain't fun on an LST. It was really neat to stand in the tank deck and watch as the forward half of the ship twisted oppositely from the aft. The keel of those ships was huge, and thankfully held up to the god-awful pounding we took. So I kind of laugh at destroyers and their fin-stabilizers and 30 degree rolls.

'Rah-rah ree, We're the "Big T", give us shot three" ... if anyone out there knows what this means - we were on the Big T at the same time!

Quote Originally Posted by orionll View Post
    Earlier in the thread people were complaining that the maximum amplitude of 3 degrees wasn't enough (rightly so), so I wanted to pick a new value that would be enough for anything (regardless of boat size). I liked that 30 degrees was pi/6 radians, so I tried that, and it looked like more than enough for even the smallest boats in FSX. The maximum in program amplitude doesn't prevent you from choosing smaller values. Should I make another update and limit it to 10 degrees?
    The thing I'd like to know is how to make this program work with other ships?

Set the pitch and bank amplitude manually in the XML file! I give up trying to find a slider maximum that suits everyone.

As indicated in both the first post and readme, simply edit the textboxes to change the boat, location, heading and speed. The edited settings will not be saved as a new preset in the locations drop down. If you want to make a new preset, create an XML file as described in the readme (it appears the formatting got lost in the first post's example), then in the PitchingDeck.xml file, add a LocationFile element containing the path to the new XML file you just made.

Orionll, I'm functioning illiterate when it comes to XML files, could you post what it would look like with say a coast guard cutter or something , sorry but I just don't get it .

Bill

If you don't desire a new entry in the drop down menu, you can simply paste the boat's title in the title textbox.

Acceleration comes with a USCG cutter -- its title is "Veh_USCG_Cutter_Sm", as seen in the Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Boats\Veh_USCG_Cutter_Sm\sim.cfg file. Simply make the program look as follows and click "Create Boat".

Ok cool, now how do I change the location , say to Alaska or wash state ? , it seems that the locations are preset ? , and thank you for your patience on this .

Bill

Good vids guys for the small deck landings, up the pucker factor by turning out the lights (I'd say maybe sea state 1-2 in the MH-60R vid, training of course). I don't have my pitch/roll or wind limits handy, but the USN has a limit for each class of boat that is helo capable. Years ago I remember X-Plane 8ish came with selectable pitch/roll for ships, something at the time FS didn't have, so thanks for bringing this to the community orionll!
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Quote Originally Posted by orionll View Post
    If you don't desire a new entry in the drop down menu, you can simply paste the boat's title in the title textbox.

Acceleration comes with a USCG cutter -- its title is "Veh_USCG_Cutter_Sm", as seen in the Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Boats\Veh_USCG_Cutter_Sm\sim.cfg file. Simply make the program look as follows and click "Create Boat".

How do I determine the coords (Long/Lat) data to fill in the boxes? Is the Long/Lat in the Shift Z what I can use?

Bill: You can edit the latitude and longitude (in addition to the heading and speed) similarly to the boat's title. Just enter the latitude (expressed in decimal degrees) in the textbox next to Latitude, and the longitude (also expressed in decimal degrees) in the textbox next to Longitude. Heading is expressed in degrees (true, not magnetic), and speed is in knots. However, when you edit the textboxes, the settings will not be retained when you restart the program.

Victory103: You're welcome!

gray eagle: As explained to Bill, you must express the latitude and longitude using decimal degrees. I recommend using Bing Maps -- simply navigate to the area you're interested in, right click, and it'll give you the latitude and longitude (in decimal degrees) of the point you right clicked on.

Ok , I got it now, downloaded Bing Maps and picked the location That I wanted, made an xml file and called it BoatLocations and pointed to it in the pitchingdeck xml file ie,<LocationFile>C:\Program Files\PitchingDeck\BoatLocations.xml</LocationFile>.
    Then just entered the location via Bing maps Lat and Long and wala , we are in business. Thanks abunch . What a blast man.

Bill

P.S. here is a pic of wht it looks like in my Pitching Deck folder If anyone is wondering
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by flewpastu View Post
    Ok , I got it now, downloaded Bing Maps and picked the location That I wanted, made an xml file and called it BoatLocations and pointed to it in the pitchingdeck xml file ie,<locationfile>C:\Program Files\PitchingDeck\BoatLocations.xml</locationfile>.
    Then just entered the location via Bing maps Lat and Long and wala , we are in business. Thanks abunch . What a blast man.

Bill

P.S. here is a pic of wht it looks like in my Pitching Deck folder If anyone is wondering
    I'm not sure I understand the part about "pointing it to pitchingdeck xml".

I have been trying to make one for the enterprise and so far this is what I made. Don't laugh, I know it's a mess, but I am trying to absorb it all in.

Attachment 10396<locations> <location name="San Diego 2">
    <title>VEH_CVN65_Enterprise_80s</title>

When I tried to open it with xml notepad, regular notepad was offered to open it. So I know I've left some stuff out of this.</location></locations>

Can't copy/paste real xml files here. SO I had to make a snapshot of what I had so far.

Here's how I did mine. I think of it as the PicthingDeck.xml is "pointing to" the locations.xml file that you create:
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

That's How I did it PRB, I just named the whole folder in the PitchingDeck xml file. Where it says

<LocationFile>https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19121193/FSX/Web/BoatLocations.xml</LocationFile> . I just inserted

<LocationFile>C:\Program Files\PitchingDeck\BoatLocations.xml</LocationFile>. for my Location so when I click on PitchingDeck icon My edits show up. Hope this helps GreyEagle.

Bill

Paul and Bill understand correctly. However, I'd also like to point out that you can have as many LocationFile elements as you like. If you want to keep the default locations, all you need to do is add an additional LocationFile element rather than replacing the existing one.

Edit: Bill, missed your previous post -- you're welcome, and glad you like it!

Charter Member 09

Pitching decks revisited

You know it's hard for someone that has not been to sea and experinced every type of it's conditions to get a feel for what happens. However, taking pictures during a steep roll is hard to take. Your busy trying to stand up and not go over the side of the ship or land in the cat walk. But these pictures show what I'm getting at.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carrier.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	10458Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carrier one.jpg 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	10459Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carrier three.jpg 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	10460Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carrier two.jpg 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	10461
    Would you like to ride in my big green tractor?.

The amount of pitch and roll isn't for me, the inexperienced non-seaman to decide, it's for you, the user. You can set the pitch and bank to whatever you deem necessary -- whether that be one degree or ninety.

Here you go Bob, 30 degree rolls off Wake Island, 1942. Of course, all flight operations have been cancelled, and I'm going back to Wake to get a sandwich and some coffee from the CPO mess!

MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by Helldiver View Post
    You know it's hard for someone that has not been to sea and experinced every type of it's conditions to get a feel for what happens. However, taking pictures during a steep roll is hard to take. Your busy trying to stand up and not go over the side of the ship or land in the cat walk. But these pictures show what I'm getting at.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carrier.jpg 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	10458Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carrier one.jpg 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	10459Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carrier three.jpg 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	10460Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carrier two.jpg 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	10461
    That's great, but exactly how much aviation is going on in those pictures?

The Possibilities

I set up another pilotable Boat to see how it would work with the pitching deck program and it seems to work pretty good. I'm looking for any pilotable Navy oilers.

Attachment 10580
    Approach
    Attachment 10581
    Simulated unrep with USS Port Royal

Members who have read this thread: 7