Modeling Program

Thread: Modeling Program

Modeling Program

Is it possible to use Blender 2.71 to model aircraft and other objects with in CFS2? It seems possible for FSX.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...e-Fokker-D-XXI

http://www.blender.org/
    Take my love, take my land / Take me where I cannot stand, I don't care, I'm still free / You can't take the sky from me.

Take me out to the black / Tell 'em I ain't comin' back.

Burn the land and boil the sea / You can't take the sky from me...

Hi! I don't know wether it is possible for CFS2. Does it have an SDK like FSX?
    dutcheeseblend.blogspot.nl

Living by the grace of our Lord

Hi Wulf,
    There is no direct output from Blender to FS2004 mdl/bgls or for that matter CFS2 mdls, unless there is a new plug-in, which I don't believe there is.

Options are,
    Blender can output .3DS files and others. You can then import them into Model Convert X, and then output them to an Fs2004 mdl or bgl, then use MDLC to convert them to an CFS2 mdl .................

Or import the .3DS files into Gmax and with an Fs2004 gamepack installed you can output an Fs2004 mdl/bgl, and then use MDLC to convert to an CFS2 mdl......phew!

It's certainly not easy and the chances of keeping the animations etc are remote, making a solid object or scenery may be easier.

Cheers

Shessi

Blender CAN export to FSX .mdl. I don't really know about CFS2, has it the same .mdl files as FS2004?

DCB,
    Yes, no problem to FSX.

FSX ac mdl's have several important diferences. An FSX mdl, well in fact, you have to have two. One for the ac, and one for the VC. So even if you could convert each to an Fs2004 mdl , you would have to combine the two, to have an Fs2004 ac with a working VC.

The main problem is the format of the mdl, which is not compatible with Fs2004, and cannot be converted with MDLC. Also FSX mdls usually exceed the 65,535 mdl poly limit of Fs2004, so again this will affect direct import. Although you can import into MCX, it won't export to Fs2004 due to exceeding that poly limit. With FSX scenery, you may have better luck.

Basically FS2004 and CFS2 mdls are the same but have different file headers, also the animation tables have differences in their assignments. So when converting, MDLC basically changes the header, and nulls or re-assigns some animations.

Wulf,
    I would construct with Blender, output as a .3DS file. Import into MCX 1.4, then output as an Fs2004 mdl or bgl. Then convert to CFS2 using auto mk_MDLC or manual MDLC.

Below is a simple object (no animations) from Blender, out-putted as a .3DS file. Imported into MCX and out-putted as an Fs2004 mdl, then converted with mk_MDLC for CFS2, and flying in CFS2.

Cheers

Shessi

Ok, interesting!

Animations can also be exported using the Blender's .X exporter. Don't know if export to 3ds does it...

Edit: using the MCX development edition, animations can be tagged as well

Why not just use gmax and export to FS2002 or FS2004? That seems like a lot simpler way to get to CFS2.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Icon5

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Why not just use gmax and export to FS2002 or FS2004? That seems like a lot simpler way to get to CFS2.
    Perhaps some people thinks that is more easy to hand Blender than gmax! (in the hour to modeling)
    I really dont know anything about Blender.

Quote Originally Posted by misson View Post
    Perhaps some people thinks that is more easy to hand Blender than gmax! (in the hour to modeling)
    I really dont know anything about Blender.
    Of course many do (even those who have not used it :-), but the real question is how to get to CFS2 from there, and do animations, texture mapping, smoothing, part names, etc carry all the way through the process. I think the hassles of getting through the processes (with some losses) may offset the "shorter" learning curve (if that is in fact true).

If anyone can learn to model in one hour, that would be an interesting small investment of time to prove (or disprove) that theory. Then you can can try a couple of those conversion techniques and report back.

Anyone got an hour? :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

I'm still learning GMax. Which isn't to hard once you learn how to move things around in it. Making a model is the easy part. The LODs, Animation, Breaking parts, and texture mapping are the hard part. I don't think any extra program can speed those up. I think for CFS2 we are stuck with what we have. If someone does find a way to speed it all up, well I'm listening.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

Members who have read this thread: 0