Question about Brewster F2A Buffalo

Thread: Question about Brewster F2A Buffalo

Question about Brewster F2A Buffalo

Hi folks

http://www.warbirdforum.com/buffno.htm

In the picture at the top of this page of a VF2 Buffalo there is some sort of contraption on the right forward fuselage...sticking out the side of the fuselage above the wing leading edge... I just wondered what it is? It would be helpful to know what it is and under what circumstances it was fitted. I have clearer pictures in my ref books but this was the best I could find on the net to refer you to what I was talking about. It only seems to be on VF2 aircraft with the style of radio antenna that doesn't involve a tall mast on the right forward fuselage.

Thanks

Matt

Hi Matt, it is a Fairchild H-1 Gun Camera, an early gun camera used on Navy aircraft in the late 30's/very early 40's, used for scoring gunnery training. You see these fitted to other late 30's/early 40's era Navy aircraft like the early biplane Helldivers, Vindicators, Devastators, and F3F's as well.

Some more photos as seen mounted on other aircraft:

These photos show Buffalo's with the camera mount trapeze, and either with or without the camera fitted.

These gun cameras were only used, as far as I know, prior to the U.S. entry into WWII, and were used for scoring gunnery training. For instance, you wouldn't see these particular gun cameras fitted to aircraft involved in the Battle of Midway. Wartime gun cameras, with the common 16 mm type, if fitted, were small enough to usually be located in the leading-edge of the wing, or whereabouts (if not in the wing leading edge, then usually in the leading edge of an under-wing fairing).

Thanks John

that's very helpful. The trapeze I've made in my model is ok but the clearer reference shows I need to make a few changes to the body of the camera. It also explains why some pic's show them fitted and some not.

Matt

Very interesting! I was glad to see the F3F-2 from the Naval Aviation Museum in these shots. Last time I was there I was surprised to see that this aircraft was from my old squadron, before it was my old squadron...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB120211.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	9855

Name:	PB120212.jpg 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	9856

This squadron became VMF-211, which became the Wake Island Avengers after the fall of Wake...

Name:	PatchUSMC.211.VMF211.WakeIsland.v2.JPG 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	9857

Name:	exrare4546chnmdevmf211jktptchlthrobv.jpg 
Size:	153.5 KB 
ID:	9858

Didn't know that about the camera!

Thanks John, Buffalo photos I have not seen before, I really do like that photo, the mishap on the carrier ! Brilliant !

Thanks John, very interesting. OT: Those guys at LIFE magazine sure did take some fantastic photos in the 1930s...
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Members who have read this thread: 2