FSGlobal2010

Thread: FSGlobal2010

FSGlobal2010

So, I bought FSGlobal2010. I paid the extra money to get the DVDs, just in case the download didn't work. They had lots of dire warning about that. But (of course) my download went just fine, with a couple “by the ways”:

They say to use WinRAR or WinZip to unzip, and NOT to use the Windows built-in zipper/un-zipper, which, they say, won't work. I had WinRAR installed so I was golden, right? Wrong... WinRAR insisted the files were corrupt. The flightsimstore download page lists the MD5 checksum values that you can use to verify a good download, provided you have an MD5 checksum generator to use on the downloaded files. I downloaded a free one called WinMD5, which said my downloads were intact, checksum values matched. But still WinRAR said the files were corrupt. So I downloaded WinZip, which un-zipped the files with no complaining.

Then I installed it. Before installing 2010, I flew around a couple spots while 2008 was still installed, so I could compare with 2010. After installing 2010 I flew over the same places, and I'll be darned if I can see any difference. Apparently some coast lines have been made more accurate, and after Googling this, the differences are most apparent over desolate places like Greenland. In other words, 2008 didn't cover 100% of the planet, despite the word “global” in the title, and 2010 does.

File the above under the “For What it's Worth” department.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

I agree. FS Global 2010 was a big waste of money I uninstalled it and use the discs as drink coasters.

FSGlobal2010 is a MESH product (think... hills, mountains, pointy bits), not coastlines, and its easily the best complete global mesh solution on the market

But horses for courses eh.

I like it. The sim is better with it than without it.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

The intent of this thread was 1) to supply potentially helpful installation tips, and 2) to point out that IF you already have FSGlobal2008, the 2010 version does not seem (to me) to be a huge improvement. If you don't have a mesh enhancement addon, this is a highly valuable one, at least outside the major areas of civilization, which comes "out of the box" with reasonably good mesh. In fact, the FSGlobal2008 install guide recommends not adding the North America part, because it doesn't add much. All the islands in Indonesia, however, are just big round lumps by default. I wish I would have taken note of the coast lines in my "before" pics. "Before", in this case, meaning before installing 2010, but with FSGlobal2008 installed. They are both good products, IMO.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Members who have read this thread: 2