The DX10 "How-to" Guide - comments - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The DX10 "How-to" Guide - comments

Heh - no need to apologise!

What I absolutely wouldn't mind seeing here is a OMG - *EUREKA!* type of post:

Adam.
    XP11.50 | MSFS 2020
    Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40-4.69GHz | 8GB DDR3 | nVidia RTX2060 8GB | Win10 2004 64-bit 24Gb RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Adamski_NZ View Post
    Heh - no need to apologise!

What I absolutely wouldn't mind seeing here is a OMG - *EUREKA!* type of post:

Adam.
    I've been pleased with the results using your "How-to" guide with the nVidia graphics cards I run on a couple computers. (I also am using Steve's DX10 Fixer.) I don't think there will be any EUREKA moments due to the nature of the beast - an almost infinite number of combinations of cpus, operating systems, graphics cards, motherboards, add-ons... The only way to improve is through many small tweaks which your guide is quite helpful at providing.

My next use of your guide will be on an AMD FX8350 / HD7850 combo computer I haven't used much since last spring (spring around here is in April / May). I'll report any reportable events during that process.

Thanks for the efforts you put into the How-to Guide.
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Adam - one small additional note. I changed my FPS setting in FSX to unlimited and gained another bump in screen beauty! Although I have no objective proof, from my subjective perspective it appears that my system is one that benefits from this tweak. Thanks again, your "how-to" contains real good stuff!
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Quote Originally Posted by rvn817j View Post
    Adam - one small additional note. I changed my FPS setting in FSX to unlimited and gained another bump in screen beauty! Although I have no objective proof, from my subjective perspective it appears that my system is one that benefits from this tweak.
    It's a funny one, that particular "tweak". It seems to vary from sysytem to system. I have a friend with an almost identical setup to mine - "unlimited" works well for him but, for me, it just introduces a mass of blurries.

Adam.
    XP11.50 | MSFS 2020
    Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40-4.69GHz | 8GB DDR3 | nVidia RTX2060 8GB | Win10 2004 64-bit 24Gb RAM

I have finally settled on 60 fps and it is the smoothest yet.
    You are so right Adam. Different systems,different results.

Regards

Anthin.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamski_NZ View Post
    Absolutely right - yes. The FSX function is NOT a frame rate limiter. It's a "target" value that tells FSX to configure itself and do everything possible to try and achieve the required frame rate. The general thinking seems to be to set it to one higher than your locked (NVI) frame rate limiter.

However - some systems appear to work better with the FSX target framerate set to "unlimited".

Adam.
    Adam, thanks for the updated guide. However, in Paul's previous version he advised setting the frame rate limiter in NVI to off and to set the target FPS (30/31) in FSX. I've read in a number of places that it's better to do it this way than to set a frame rate in NVI. Why the change in the new guide?

Quote Originally Posted by vortex View Post
    Adam, thanks for the updated guide. However, in Paul's previous version he advised setting the frame rate limiter in NVI to off and to set the target FPS (30/31) in FSX. I've read in a number of places that it's better to do it this way than to set a frame rate in NVI. Why the change in the new guide?
    This appears to vary from system to system. I did a lot of testing on this - and found that setting a framerate in NVI then framerate+1 in FSX to be the best option - and I think it also helps with vsync in multi-monitor situations.

BTW: The HowTo has just been updated to 1.08a: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...l=1#post892887

Adam.
    XP11.50 | MSFS 2020

Your guide has been invaluable to me Adam. I finally got vsync to work in windowed mode, and I finally have my tooltips back. I find new things all the time. Thanks so much for your efforts!

Members who have read this thread: 2