c47 Tailwheel

Thread: c47 Tailwheel

c47 Tailwheel

Does anyone know how Manfred Jahn keeps the tailwheel on his C47 from self centering ounce the turn stops? Is it something I can change in the .cfg file or is it within the .mdl file that I can't change?
    Thanks,
    BUD

You want the tailwheel to straighten on the C-47 or you want it at an angle in another tailsitter?

In the 47 the tailwheel swivel is coded in the mdl file, and you can have it either at an angle or straight when resting (as in RL).

C47 Tailwheel

Thanks for your reply Manfred. I like the way your C47 works, I'de like all my taildraggers to do this and nosewheel aircraft also. To me it just doesn't look right when the wheels are canted left or right during the turn and then center themselves as soon as you stop. If the coding is in the .mdl file I guess that there is nothing I can do, but your C47 is absolutely the best. Can't wait for its new old VC.
    Thanks,
    Bud

Manfred, I just want to add to this thread by saying that I too love that little detail, and if I had known something like that was possible in the coding, I would have been implementing that in my own aircraft. It is brilliant!
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

SOH-CM-2021
    I was an airframe eng in the RAF, and worked on a big tail dragger, the Handley Page Hastings. When marshalling an aircraft into position before shutdown, we had to bring it forward until the tail wheel was straight. This was to ensure that the tyre was not distorted when at rest. Surely we all know that tyres distort when turning, and that can wear the sidewall. So why would you park an aircraft, or even your car, to the detriment of the tyres?

Dennis.

I accept the logic of this and have seen manuals that say so explicitly. And yet perhaps it is permissible in unusual situations like when you have to negotiate a tight corner or when there aren't any chocks handy? (BTW, lovely plane, the Hastings, remember it well, if only from a spotter's vantage...)

Members who have read this thread: 5