Ready to take the plunge into FSX - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ready to take the plunge into FSX

Blog Entries
    Sorry Duckie been super busy trying to fix a DAMNABLE PT CRUISER!!!! I take it back why jinx myself I love that car...maybe it will hear me LOL!!!!

OK before you go to a more drastic step of water cooling the CPU make sure all your fans in front are pulling air IN and all your side fans and rear fans are pushing air OUT.
    It is difficult to pass Prime 95 in the summer time unless you use water cooling...it can be done but you are going to have a lot of front and rear fans moving air across the motherboard and CPU. The motherboard gets HOT too ya know so make sure there are no obstructions to the air coming in.

The HEAVY CUMBERSOME TOWER CASE I have has 4 120 mm (pretty blue lites) front fans pulling air in...a GIANT LIT SIDE FAN pushing air out and 3 120mm (pretty red lites) fans pushing air out the back and two 120mm fans pulling air out the top. I run my unit at 4.2GHz to 4.5GHz on air. I have no aversion to using the Corsair H50 water cooler for the CPU I just never needed it. When and if I see a need to upgrade I will go to water cooling EVERYTHING!

By the way...AWESOME JOB ON OVERCLOCKING!
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Quote Originally Posted by txnetcop View Post
    Sorry Duckie been super busy trying to fix a DAMNABLE PT CRUISER!!!! I take it back why jinx myself I love that car...maybe it will hear me LOL!!!!
    Oh, man, forgot all about your engine rebuild. Can be very frustrating.

OK before you go to a more drastic step of water cooling the CPU make sure all your fans in front are pulling air IN and all your side fans and rear fans are pushing air OUT.

It is difficult to pass Prime 95 in the summer time unless you use water cooling...it can be done but you are going to have a lot of front and rear fans moving air across the motherboard and CPU. The motherboard gets HOT too ya know so make sure there are no obstructions to the air coming in.
    MoBo is staying in the high 30 C range during testing according to QFan3 but QF is off by about 7 C low when compared to RealTemp370 on core temps, so that would put the MoBo in the mid to High 40 C range when testing. Fans all blowing in the "correct" direction, and I'm looking for space to add a couple more.

By the way...AWESOME JOB ON OVERCLOCKING!
    Ted
    Thanks very much. I'm so new at this I second guess almost every adjustment before I pull the trigger! But, I think I'm getting there.

Steve
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Final (?) OC Settings

Well, unless I missed something, and that's entirely possible, I think I got my 4.0GHz Overclock. Thanks so much to all who helped and those who encouraged, especially Ted, who suggested the upgrade and initial OC instructions to start, and to wombat666 and Butcherbird17 for looking over my shoulder!

Below are my current OC settings.

Intel i7 960 OC to 4GHz Settings
    ASUS P6T SE BIOS Rev. 908
    ADJUSTED BIOS SETTINGS

AI OVER CLOCK SETTINGS..............MANUAL

CPU RATIO....................................25

BCLK FREQ....................................160

PCIE FREQ.....................................100

DRAM FREQ...................................1604

DRAM TIMING CTRL........................9-9-9-24

CPU VCORE....................................1.275

QPI/DRAM CORE VOLTAGE...............1.300

INTEL HYPER-THREADING TECH........DISABLED

INTEL SPEED STEP TECH..................DISABLED

INTEL C-STATE TECH.......................DISABLED

All other BIOS settings remain in AUTO or Default

CPU VCORE TESTING.......................17 Adjustments
    PASS/FAIL......................................P – Prime 95
    TIME.............................................. 8hrs. 3Mins.
    MAX TEMP/REALTEMP.......................74 C

QPI/DRAM CORE VOLTAGE TESTING...6 Adjustments
    PASS/FAIL.......................................P – Prime 95
    TIME.............................................. . 6hrs. 7Mins.
    MAX TEMP/REALTEMP........................74 C
    Duckie

Out-Bloody-Standing!!!!!
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Blog Entries
    Looks like ya got her right where you want her! How is the performance on FSX? Also you should be able to use DX10 without much of a performance drop now. I am not a fan of DX10 I think it was thrown together rather shoddily but it does have some nice effects on FSX. Duckie read this: http://mutleyshangar.com/reviews/bc/dx10/dx10.htm
    Ted

SCRATCH THOSE "FINAL" SETTINGS!

It won't run FSX! BSOD after 10 minutes - 3 tries. Codes 101 and 124.

Is there a specific or preferred test to use with PRIME 95? I have found no consistency in OC forums on which of the routines is preferred.

For my previous tests I used Small FFTs tests. I have run four this morning, each time incrementing the QPI voltage higher and it won't hold longer than 30 minutes, each time crashing with BSOD. Currently running test with QPI Voltage @ 1.3375 and VCORE at previously established 1.275.

My ignorance has me puzzled over why the above combo held for 6 hours and now won't.

Anyway, more tests underway.
    Duckie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckie View Post
    SCRATCH THOSE "FINAL" SETTINGS!

It won't run FSX! BSOD after 10 minutes - 3 tries. Codes 101 and 124.

Is there a specific or preferred test to use with PRIME 95? I have found no consistency in OC forums on which of the routines is preferred.

For my previous tests I used Small FFTs tests. I have run four this morning, each time incrementing the QPI voltage higher and it won't hold longer than 30 minutes, each time crashing with BSOD. Currently running test with QPI Voltage @ 1.3375 and VCORE at previously established 1.275.

My ignorance has me puzzled over why the above combo held for 6 hours and now won't.

Anyway, more tests underway.
    Duckie lower it to 3.5 GHz and see it is a heat or OC issue...the southbridge may be overheating since it has the least cooling. I put a small fan on my southbridge

Blog Entries
    This from Trusted Reviews

Overclocking the P6T SE was a straightforward process and it was a better experience than we expected. The Asus specification for the P6T SE suggests that a number of BIOS options for voltage settings would be missing compared to the Deluxe. Specifically vCPU PLL, vNB-PCIe and vDRAM are all supposed to be absent but we found the options were exactly the same as the Deluxe. Truth be told we wondered about the spec as the idea of a Core i7 motherboard with fixed DRAM voltage is absurd.

We bumped up the CPU speed from 3.2GHz (24x133MHz) to 3.86GHz (29x133MHz) and found that the P6T SE was as stable as a rock so we went to the next step and raised the memory speed from 1,066MHz to 1,600MHz which helped performance by a useful margin.

Those speeds were achieved with a conservative core voltage of 1.35V and we were able to achieve good results by running the system at 3.84GHz (24x160MHz). By raising the core voltage to 1.45V we were able to raise the clock multiplier to 30x133MHz to get a nice round 4GHz clock speed however performance tailed off at this point. The best performance was achieved on the standard 133MHz base clock with a 29x multiplier and a speed of 3.86GHz.

We had previously been able to overclock the P6T Deluxe to 4.13GHz (31x133MHz) so it looks like the cut down power supply hardware does indeed have an impact on performance as the P6T SE blue screened during benchmark tests on those settings - you pays your money and you takes your choice.

Thanks, Ted. Good info. Right now I'm into 8+hrs on the QPI voltage at 1.3375. I'm going to let it go for a couple more hrs and see what happens. So far temps haven't gone above 75C and are hovering constantly around 72C. That's on core 0. Core 1 stays around 70C while cores 2 and 3 haven't broke 70 yet.

I like the south bridge fan too.

I'll get there eventually. With the info you've pointed me to and a little more patience I'll get it right. I know a whole lot more about OC today than I did a week ago, thanks in large pert to you and other knowledgeable and helpful folks here.

Steve
    Duckie

OK. Final v.2 !

CPU Speed = 4.0GHz

DRAM Speed = 1600 MHz

VCore = 1.300

QPI = 1.350

Prime 95 @ 9hrs 2m

OCCT @ 8hrs 3m

MEMTEST86 4 Passes 0 errors

But, I have to say, these tests gave similar results on the earlier attempts that crashed. CPU-Z and Real Temp both show a 4.0GHz clock speed while MEMTEST 86 shows as 3.84 GHz; OCCT shows highest temps reached as 71C while RealTemp v3.71 shows 75C running simultaneously, and QFan3 shows never reaching 70 C! So, please understand if I'm not real keen on any of these results, or the accuracy and reliability of future testing should it become necessary as regards FSX.

Am adding 1 additional 120mm intake fan on the clear side panel and will order a southbridge fan once I can find a low profile one similar to the critter in Teds pic above.

FSX + Accel: Used 3 minor config tweaks. Loaded REX4TD, built a theme using replacement textures for all categories and went flying with FPS locked at 30 and they never varied. Really smooth, turning, panning, big cities (KSEA, KATL), mountains, flats, etc.

Only noticeable issue was on first take off saw one white flash (tear?), and then an occasional flicker from building roof tops.

I'll continue to read and tweak to try and iron out issues one at a time as they appear.

Thanks again to all who took/take the time to help. Your generosity is noted and very much appreciated.

Steve
    Duckie

Members who have read this thread: 1