Steve's DX10 Fixer taken off FSS shelves?

Thread: Steve's DX10 Fixer taken off FSS shelves?

Steve's DX10 Fixer taken off FSS shelves?

According to Adrian at FSS, Steve has instructed them to remove the product from sale. No statement from Steve on this so far. Anyone know the scoop?
    Last edited by odourboy; June 20th, 2014 at 07:42.

I have yet to download v2.3! This is not good...

The download link in your account should still be there for 2.3 - mine is.

Quote Originally Posted by odourboy View Post
    Same here. Downloaded 2.3 a couple days ago and then again a couple minutes ago. Download works fine.

Curious though that the product is no longer for sale at FSS.

Greg
    i7-8086K @ 5.3GHz, ASUS Maximus XI Hero, MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X driving a 27" 2K LCD, G.Skill 16GB 3600, Samsung 512GB 970 Pro NVMe (OS and P3Dv4) and WD 2TB Black, Win 10 Pro.

SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Was wondering if an update had been released, so thanks for the HU.
    Hopefully this does not mean the end of the fixer?

Seems he has withdrawn it due to personal reasons but he may reconsider at a later date.
    SYSTEM :
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Seems he has withdrawn it due to personal reasons but he may reconsider at a later date.
    According to his blog, it's to do with the sheer volume of support calls he's having to deal with - the down-side of producing such a technical bit of wizardry.

I think this is where forums like this can help out. If we're all as helpful and patient as possible to new Fixer users it will take the load off Steve and allow him to spend more time developing/improving the product.

Quite often, add-on developers choose to distribute their products as freeware (with no support) for exactly this reason. The problem with the Fixer is that it's not just a simple aircraft add-on: what the Fixer does relates to many complex FSX issues that many people often struggle with - particularly people that haven't been tempted to "look under the hood" before. There's still so much conflicting (or outdated) advice out there - it can be a bit of a nightmare.

IMHO, the Fixer should come with a "Beware: Not for Noobs" sticker. It's a powerful add-on, but requires a lot of work from the user (in getting their systems and FSX set up properly before you even start). I'm often amazed at how little research people do prior to tinkering with FSX at such a fundamental level.

Adam.
    XP11.50 | MSFS 2020
    Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40-4.69GHz | 8GB DDR3 | nVidia RTX2060 8GB | Win10 2004 64-bit 24Gb RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Adamski_NZ View Post
    IMHO, the Fixer should come with a "Beware: Not for Noobs" sticker.
    That wouldn't stop the noobs from buying. But I agree with your idea of helping them out though. And I think pulling the product is probably Steve's best option right now (simply as a method to preserve his sanity). Hopefully, he'll keep developing it and offer to new buyers from time to time. Those of us more familiar and comfortable working with the Fixer can then lend a hand.

Greg
    i7-8086K @ 5.3GHz, ASUS Maximus XI Hero, MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X driving a 27" 2K LCD, G.Skill 16GB 3600, Samsung 512GB 970 Pro NVMe (OS and P3Dv4) and WD 2TB Black, Win 10 Pro.

I hope he doesn't give up on it as he has made such great progress with it.
    But I agree he needs to be left alone to develop the software and direct the end users to the support forums.
    I7 3700k @ 4.5 ghz, 2 x 8 gig 2133ghz ram, Evga gtx 780 classified, samsung 840 pro 250 gig ssd for op system, Win 7 64 bit ultimate, Samsung 840 evo for fsx photo scenery, 600 gig wd velocraptor for fsx, creative XFI fatality sound card.

This is per Steve's blog...

I have just stopped selling any new copies for the time being, that is all that has happened. You can still download if you have purchased. I felt that too many people have been buying it recently without trying dx10 out first leading to a mismatch in their expectations ( and an increase in support calls)

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

I went to Flight Sim Store and gave my order number and name and the say to contact him. How does one get the update?
    Joe Watson
    Lake Placid, Florida

Quote Originally Posted by JoeW View Post
    I went to Flight Sim Store and gave my order number and name and the say to contact him. How does one get the update?
    Go to FSS; Click on 'My Accont', Under Previous Orders, locate your order for the Fixer and click 'View'. That should bring up an order information page which includes a 'Download' link on the lower right. Latest version is 12.05Mb That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

NP... odourboy beat me to it.

Greg

I have a strong feeling that Steve will be back...but after he's had a rest.
    SYSTEM :

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I have a strong feeling that Steve will be back...but after he's had a rest.
    I tend to agree - I don't think he can resist!

Go to FSS; Click on 'My Accont', Under Previous Orders, locate your order for the Fixer and click 'View'. That should bring up an order information page which includes a 'Download' link on the lower right. Latest version is 12.05Mb That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
    That was the trick. I downloaded it and re-installed as per the instructions.
    One question, I think I already know the answer, I don't have lights in the gauges on some planes, Is there a work-around for this?
    The Cessna 185 by Coronado is the one I use most. I don't think that it ever had lights in the gauges but there was a red flood that was on the gauges that doesn't work now. The overhead does work.
    Joe Watson
    Lake Placid, Florida

One question, I think I already know the answer, I don't have lights in the gauges on some planes, Is there a work-around for this?
    The Cessna 185 by Coronado is the one I use most. I don't think that it ever had lights in the gauges but there was a red flood that was on the gauges that doesn't work now. The overhead does work.
    I'll dust off my old 185. I rarely fly at night, so can't say I'd have noticed any oddities with the instrument lighting. Watch this space!

Adam.

UPDATE: Are you clicking on the little swivel lamp (to the left) to turn them on? Works for me ... but I must say they're not incredibly bright!
    XP11.50 | MSFS 2020
    Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40-4.69GHz | 8GB DDR3 | nVidia RTX2060 8GB | Win10 2004 64-bit 24Gb RAM

Found this at Avsim:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/445273-23-missing-file/

Don`t know,if it helps.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by big-mike View Post
    Found this at Avsim:

Don`t know,if it helps.
    Mike
    Thanks Mike,
    Downloaded now will apply to Fixer shortly.
    SYSTEM :

Quote Originally Posted by big-mike View Post
    Found this at Avsim:

Don`t know,if it helps.
    Mike
    It's a necessary file alright - but to do with *external* lights, mainly, I think (landing light etc.).

Adam.
    XP11.50 | MSFS 2020

The Cessna 185 by Coronado... I don't think that it ever had lights in the gauges but there was a red flood that was on the gauges that doesn't work now. The overhead does work.
    I just checked the 185 and I don't have the red flood from the lamp on the left side pillar. When I click on that lamp I get the gauge lights on or off. The overhead red lamp works using its switch, but it is very dim (almost totally lost in any kind of ambient light). I already applied the fix Steve posted for 2.3.

Greg

DX10 Shader Fixers upgraded to version V3.2.3

Steve Parsons upgraded his freeware DX10 Shader Fixers to version V3.2.3, which now includes a fix for DX10 ORBX FTX Global Lights (those annoying black squares).
    http://library.avsim.net/search.php?...root&Go=Search (you need to login)

Thanks Steve, that's a nice move for those who missed the payware DX10 Fixer.

Iris CRJ-200 over Juneau

Members who have read this thread: 7