Visual Enhancement Procedure?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visual Enhancement Procedure?

Visual Enhancement Procedure?

Sorry that I get so lost in all the assorted posts about the new found visual enhancements (shiny water and such), but is there a solid and straightforward, step-by-step process yet for getting it up and running that us lay folks can understand?

Last edited by MajorMagee; June 14th, 2014 at 17:36.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Blog Entries
    To have reflective water and self shadowing in cfs3 all you need is the Ankor mod.

Download and unzip the attached folder and place the 3 files into the root of your cfs3 install.

You can edit the d3d8.ini file with notepad and switch the cockpit shadows on/off as this affects frame rates on lower end systems such as mine

You may get issues with the sea colour and the effects looking odd in some aircraft. This is when it gets complicated because you have to tweak various files to get it looking right.

To uninstall just remove the files.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ankor mod installation.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	9334
    Attached Files Attached Files
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

I can download this one only as an attachment.php??

Cees

Blog Entries
    Hi Cees, seems to be working fine for me.

Try this instead: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xtgahwvygz...nkor%20mod.zip

Thanks! I'll try it tonight.

Unhappy

Sadly, I get the following error message, "The program can't start because d3dx9_43.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

Blog Entries
    Sadly, I get the following error message, "The program can't start because d3dx9_43.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."
    I has this problem too,, it's a missing system file I think. If you google 'd3dx9_43.dll' it's available to download.

I have to say you should NOT download d3dx9_43.dll file separately. It is missing because you don't have the latest DirectX 9.0 installed and you can get the directx from Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ils.aspx?id=35

Blog Entries
    Thanks for clarifying that Ankor, I did have the latest DirectX though (or so I thought!).

Installed the DirectX stuff and now it works, but my water is black in the two installs I've tried (base and BoB). Any ideas?

Blog Entries
    Have you tried the very latest files?

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3881675/

In a stock install I'm getting a nice blue reflective sea

Worse now I'm afraid. Getting the weird 'bar' effect. See 'This Could Be Very Interesting' thread.

I dont know if it's Ankor mods but I have UI scenes in night mode in MAW now.

Ankor your newest version is great and it restored aircraft shine but greatly improved it, excellent work. The terain looks awesome and the ground shadows are incredible. I am running your effects on a basic CFS3 install with Win XP and here are some pics of a couple anomolies your newest files have with XP. The restored model shine is excellent but the ocean has dried up, as you can see I am flying over Midway island which is more like a pond now. There is a rendering glitch causing the background horizon to renders over top of the foreground objects once the aircraft goes high enough to cross the background horizon. It does the same in the cockpit and it appears in the form of a horizontal line that covers up closer objects instead of appearing behind them. Great job on the new update, I hope this helps with working out the bugs. You get this fixed and CFS3 is a brand new sim!

Name:	Shot06-27-14-18-19-19.jpg 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	9706Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shot06-27-14-18-20-31.jpg 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	9707Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shot06-27-14-18-21-04.jpg 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	9708

Hi!

The horizon strip appearing through the cockpit is caused by "Dual Pass Render". You need to turn it off in cfs3config.exe -> Custom Settings -> Overrides. I don't know exactly what this option does, I only know that it is not supported by my dll and causes this weird glitch

However the disappearing water bug is still a mystery to me, several people reported it here, but I'm still unsure what causes it. The problem is that CFS3 has so many mods which replace textures or use unusual settings but I can only test on stock CFS3 and WOFF and things seem to work ok there.
    If anybody has time to try different water textures or related settings in cfs3config and manages to figure out what setup causes the water to disappear I will certainly fix it.
    Or do you mean that the water worked correctly for you with my previous dll (from March) but then disappeared when you updated to the latest one from June? If so, does the sea returns to normal if you revert to the March version?

PS: Let's move the bug discussion into "This Could Be Very Interesting" thread to keep all relevant answers in a single place.

Ha.....that did it! Just unchecked dual pass rendering and the water reappeared and the horizon line dissappeared! Now there is awesome water reflections, model reflections and realistic shadows. Awesome job Ankor, you are a genius!

Name:	Shot06-28-14-21-37-31.jpg 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	9741Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shot06-28-14-21-41-43.jpg 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	9742Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shot06-28-14-21-43-23.jpg 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	9743

Yes this really looks good!

Name:	Shot06-28-14-22-07-04.jpg 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	9744Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shot06-28-14-22-07-32.jpg 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	9746Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shot06-28-14-22-08-01.jpg 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	9747Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shot06-28-14-22-07-20.jpg 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	9745

Ankor I wonder if its possible to create the appearance illusion of dynamic movement in the water rather than a static rendering?

Mine has always had dynamic movement. Your's doesn't?
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by lewis11777 View Post
    Ankor I wonder if its possible to create the appearance illusion of dynamic movement in the water rather than a static rendering?
    Make sure "Disable Water Animation" is NOT checked in cfs3config overrides.
    Also it depends on the water texture you use, stock CFS3 water doesn't have any good movement animation, it appears more like waves are bouncing up and down without moving sideways.

Finally it may make sense to play with "Water Detail Texture Size" slider in Texture Info config to adjust the size of waves.

I have checked to make sure "disable water animation" is not checked and I have no animation with your water effects. If I remove your effects then I have the water animation. So I'm not sure what is doing that but any suggestions are welcome.

I'm almost there. With 'Dual Pass Render' disabled, I now get the wonderful self-shading and the reflective sea, but I can see land through the water, which is generally very dark. I apologize if the answer to this has been answered already elsewhere, but any ideas?

If you actually see the land through the water, you may try editing "shaders30\SeaWater.fx" with a notepad.
    Open the file, and you'll see a line:

#define BaseOpacity 0.95

change it to

#define BaseOpacity 1.0

This might help.

Icon9

No good. While it certainly has an affect (as demonstrated by a reduction to 0.5!), 1.0 (or 4.0 for that matter) look little different from 0.95. The water appears blackish the higher the number up to 1.0, but still transparent enough to see features below.

And for the record, it appears the same in all my installs (Base, ETO, MAW, PTO, Rising Sun, BoB). The relative featurelessness of the desert makes MAW the most palatable, but still not good.

All suggestions welcome.

Members who have read this thread: 0