Boy, do I need help.

Thread: Boy, do I need help.

Charter Member 09

Boy, do I need help.

I got me a SSD and It's only 125 GB. But when I put FSX in it, it brings it down to it's knees. I got to pare down FSX to the bare minumum. I need to know how may of the default aircraft can I get rid of without raising hell with my FSX installation. What kind of missions can I get rid of? Can I do without the lessons? In other words, how can I live with this 125 GB SSD.
    Would you like to ride in my big green tractor?.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Helldiver View Post
    I got me a SSD and It's only 125 GB. But when I put FSX in it, it brings it down to it's knees. I got to pare down FSX to the bare minumum. I need to know how may of the default aircraft can I get rid of without raising hell with my FSX installation. What kind of missions can I get rid of? Can I do without the lessons? In other words, how can I live with this 125 GB SSD.
    Helldiver.
    I had a small SSD like that.....You can remove as much of it as you want without it effecting anything.....
    at least I have never seen any issues after removing these things.
    SoCal Y22......North Pole, Alaska

In other words, how can I live with this 125 GB SSD.
    My 128GB happily hosts Windows and my entire FSX installation.

How many GB do you need to get rid of?

I run FSX on a 120GB SSD. A couple of suggestions... virtually all my add-on scenery is installed on a different HDD. At one point I tested the impact of loading scenery off the SSD versus a separate HDD and the difference wasn't that significant. So I try to limit my SSD add-ons to aircraft where possible. I also tend to not collect a lot of liveries and variations. After I install a new aircraft, I play with it for a while and decide which models and liveries I HAVE to have, then move all the rest onto the HDD. MDL files and textures really inflate the size of installed aircraft, so I really try to keep these pared down.

I've ditched the majority of default aircraft. One I do keep is the trike, because if you need to go back to the 'Default' sim settings, the red trike is what comes up (it's relatively tiny anyway).

my 2 cents (FWIW)

Just move the Flight Simulator to other HD. You just keep the registry, scenery and configuration. Start FSX from the new HD, you just moved.

Helldiver, you can remove all default aircraft if you want. Just remember that you'll have hardly any AI or traffic. But the sim will not "complain".

You might also want to take a look at the addon scenery you have installed and remove what you don't need.

Good luck!

Dumonceau

Any aliasing to default aircraft will be lost if they are removed. Most payware these days do not alias to gauges or sounds but freeware and older payware may.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

You could always move them off of the SSD and onto a normal drive. Cut and paste them to a new folder and then add a path to it into your FSX.
    Find the [Main] section in fsx.cfg and add something like this (with the relevant number instead of .x, and the correct path for your PC).
    SimObjectPaths.x=C:\defaultaircraft

Hope that helps

Charter Member 09
    There all good ideas. I will create files on my hard drive and put the extra stuff in there until I run into trouble. I can always replace it then
    Thanks a lot for your help.
    Would you like to ride in my big green tractor?.

One thing to keep in mind HD, a '120G' SSD has a 'real' capacity of 110G or so.'
    Something worth a fair few extra MB, move all the PDF manuals to a safe place, there seem to be more and more with each aircraft, I saved a couple of 100MB by doing so.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Members who have read this thread: 5