Chipmunk released - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chipmunk released

Quote Originally Posted by henrystreet View Post
    An opinion is "there are several things about the texturing that seem wrong to me. I regret the purchase."
    Yes, but it's not very helpful as it doesn't give the developer a clue what exactly is wrong with the textures. Thanks to stiz' detailed feedback they can now decide weather or not it is worth to correct the items. At the end all customers will profit from this.

Greetings
    Tim
    Greetings
    Tim

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

It didn't go directly to the developers. It was posted publicly. No indication of any attempt to contact support before publishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim-HH View Post
    ...Thanks to stiz' detailed feedback...
    Such feedback really belongs in a PM or email, imo. I've picked details of a model in public with the developer before and regretted it: feedback like that is much better received if delivered privately. Think how I might react should you criticise my children in open forum: I'm liable to be short-tempered or downright rude. Should you take me aside and express concerns about my offspring's behaviour I might not like it but you haven't needlessly and publicly embarrassed me. It can be as personal for an FS modeller.

Just sayin'...
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

The quality of sitz evaluation is excellent. the presentation here, not so much.

Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

I think Stiz has every right to express his concerns in public.

How many of us have bought add-ons over the years and then regretted it, wishing we had researched them more, and listened to what others had to say before parting with our cash ? I guess almost all of us. The only way we can make valid judgements is to read what others have found, as long as the criticisms are fair and valid ( as Stiz' seems to be ). If such criticisms are only permissible in private, then how does the average simmer make that judgement ? He has no information to go on.

What about computer aviation magazines such as PC Pilot ? When they review a release, are they only to extol it's virtues ? What would the point of any such review be ? You might just as well award five stars to everything that comes out, and render the whole process meaningless.

If fair and valid criticism affects an add-on's sales, it's because the purchaser has had access to the information, and has been able to make an informed choice not to buy it. There is nothing whatsoever wrong with that.

My own opinion of the Chipmunk ? So far pretty good, though the pilots helmets, the irritating wind noise and the near-VTOL take-off characteristics need attention. The cockpit textures seem a little over-weathered too - I don't recall the real ones ever being that bad.

Other than that, money well spent and very enjoyable.

WOW

I think it's safe to say being a has been modeler myself, that all mentioned and disclosed openly in the manner it was, should have been dealt with behind the scenes amongst the groups involved prior to release. Considering the model has already been released does make it fair game for open opinion, unfortunately.

Every once in a while we choose an aircraft type that generates a lot of discussion, typically classic British aircraft that are often missing from FS but are in great demand by a passionate minority of simmers. These aircraft usually generate plenty of feedback, as those simmers quite rightly want to see the aircraft they love meet their (increasingly high) expectations. I don't think that is a bad thing by any means, I know that if a developer chose to create my favourite Nimrod MR2/R1, I would be disappointed if it failed to meet my own expectations/desires. This certainly seems to have been the case with the venerable Chipmunk based on the two previously locked threads. It would be a shame to loose this thread too.

As others have pointed out, Stiz is perfectly entitled to express his opinion and we welcome both positive and negative feedback. Although the comprehensive feedback would probably have been better suited to a support ticket, I don't believe Stiz meant any harm and earlier today I compiled his feedback and sent it to the developers of this aircraft for consideration, along with the feedback provided by others. Unfortunately I am not able to provide direct responses to the issues raised as I am not directly involved in the development of the Chipmunk (Canberra was my first project, now working on Tristar Pro, soon to be working on the Tornado), but please rest assured that it will be taken onboard.

We are by no means a massive publishing/development team and we have limited resources like any other team. We never set out to disappoint and will always do our best to address any issues or perceived shortcomings in our products. As someone has mentioned we are always happy to provide a full refund if you'd rather not await the improvements. You are always welcome to drop me a PM to discuss any concerns or raise any bugs, or post on the forum and I'll do my best to spot it.

Thanks again for all the support. Its 11pm here in the UK and I'm off to play a bit of GTA 5 before bed

Martyn
    Martyn
    Just Flight Development Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Geomitrak View Post
    My own opinion of the Chipmunk ? So far pretty good, though the pilots helmets, the irritating wind noise and the near-VTOL take-off characteristics need attention. The cockpit textures seem a little over-weathered too - I don't recall the real ones ever being that bad.

Other than that, money well spent and very enjoyable.
    I agree as to the wind noise, the somewhat STOL characteristics of the flight model, but kind of like the cockpit as it is and it does feel quite at home. The starter needs to be addressed and it will as its been noted over at the Just Flight Forum (is for the old Coffman which has been discontinued since demob), but apart from that, think its fine. Can't ever recall seeing a pristine cockpit as most of these airframes are now over 60 years old and a lot are somewhat scruffy inside. I know of a lovely one at Redhill which isn't aerobatted, but most have that sort of lived in feeling!

Not sure if anyone has noticed (cept for the gentleman over at the Forum and myself) that although the prop rotates in the right direction, she swings the wrong way. Also has a stall warner, haven't come across one of those in the past. I raised a few other points, all of which have been kindly taken on board by those nice people at JustFlight. Hopefully in the future after listening to all our comments as they did before it was released, a patch will be issued to make better the points raised.

Happy Landings,

Martin

The Canadian bubble top and the conventional RAF version for 8 quid??? I think for the price, Jf and AH have given us a bargain and I'm looking forward to all the promised repaints.
    Stephen, the critique was well informed and concise but placed in the wrong forum. It belongs in the Jf support forum as do any complaints about A2A or Aircraft factory models, belong in their support forum. Critique seems to have become a blood sport in many forums but it won't happen here because our motto " Let being helpful be more important then being right" is something we all, to a man at SOH, hold dear.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Very nice shots John,thankyou. If I may ask, what is the shed scenery behind? looks very convincing.

Martin, thankyou for your comments made at JF and the pics. When I first started this project, it was the intention to produce a replica of the original factory product. References used included the original Pilots Notes and manuals which of course, show the start plate and coffman starter ring. The decision was made to show these and to use them albeit electrically. (FS is not very good at loading and firing cartridges!)

I have taken on board your comments but there are some which will not happen for budget and time reasons.

On a general note, AH has never purported to be a "PMDG" or any body else. We are who we are - passionate FS enthusiasts who produce stuff as quickly and as efficiently as we can. Personally I could not stand a business where it takes 4 years to develop anything.We have produced around 11 projects over the last 18 months including the JF DC8 series with 11 different models and 4 VC cockpits. We enjoy our association with JF because they are nice people to work with(OK they are just nice people)and have principles much aligned to mine. We have worked together for while now and have what might be called a robust relationship . In fact a certain poster here was 12 years old when we began working together.

I have never and never will comment on any other developer's work other than to compliment them on their choice of subject or a difficult challenge overcome. It is my personal opinion that to do so would be unethical and if professionally engaged (ie for money) unprofessional.

Anyway, thankyou for all the comment and rest assured I do take it on board. As with all JF/AH product, patches and upgrades will flow I can promise you that.

Enjoy the Chippie please, it was a pleasure to make.
    Last edited by bazzar; June 13th, 2014 at 15:03. Reason: Wrong factual info

Hey Baz, thank you for all of your months of work to bring us an FSX-native Chipmunk - I knew it was a deal done the day I heard the first announcement about it. Each developer has their own 'style', and I've always loved the AH products (perhaps it comes from my own graphic design background).

Baz, the scenery in the first shot is ORBX's "Fall City" airport scenery...I hate to be yet another to continue to toot their horn, but I sure am a fan of their work.

Interestingly enough, I don't have any of the 'flashing' in any areas, on any of the models, as mentioned by Stiz.

Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

I like the little beasty

and thanks for the screen shots Bomber... they do her justice

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    Hey Baz, thank you for all of your months of work to bring us an FSX-native Chipmunk - I knew it was a deal done the day I heard the first announcement about it. Each developer has their own 'style', and I've always loved the AH products (perhaps it comes from my own graphic design background).

Baz, the scenery in the first shot is ORBX's "Fall City" airport scenery...I hate to be yet another to continue to toot their horn, but I sure am a fan of their work.

Interestingly enough, I don't have any of the 'flashing' in any areas, on any of the models, as mentioned by Stiz.

Thank you Baz for a very cool aircraft! Looking forward to the updates.

John, I noticed the rivets are off on some of the repaints as in this pic of yours. Some repaints are good some are off. I'm sure this is being addressed already.

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Well, for the update mentioned, I would appreciate some kind of modeling of the glass from the VC. The rest seems fine to me.

Regarding VC glass, it is there, but you only see the effect of it really being present in areas where the sun hits it.

Regarding the wind noise, whilst it is certainly more muted you can definitely hear it in this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpugHazS8Co

I bought this, mainly because I liked the replies that Martyn and Bazzar gave. For the price, I think the two models are excellent. For those who have not downloaded these, the bubble top is not just the same plane with a different canopy, it has in my opinion, a much nicer panel.
    If there were one thing I would like to see in an update, it would be to add a cockpit light. The panel is somewhat dark and under some conditions is hard to see. The night lighting is very good, I wish the instrument lights would be effective during the day.
    It has a very nice manual included, I would have paid the $15 just to get the bubble top, I hope some repaints are made for this model.
    Thanks JustFlight and AH.

for $14.99 I will be getting this.

On a percentage basis we have had comment on VC glass in the order of 70% clear please to 30% reflection. You can't please everyone,so i went for another route which is the sun perspex splinter effect. I prefer it because it gives one a sense of involvement with the outside world. The problem is it requires a technique which will not alllow another alpha-controlled texture like reflection, over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by T6flyer View Post
    On first impressions, am finding it very interesting....not so sure on the wind sounds, seems to have almost STOL flight characteristics on take off, brakes seem a little fierce and can't fly it with the canopy open. Seems to shut on take off.

Going back for more,

Cheers,

Martin
    I am enjoying the plane, I agree that it has STOL characteristics on take off, But I also notice it has a very soft landing even if I try to make a hard landing.
    It's hard to pinpoint just when the wheels have made contact with the runway.
    I have accu-feel and have "Tire screech" turned all the way up, but there is no sound of the tires making contact.
    Maybe there is something that can be changed in the cfg. files? I'm no expert on changing settings in the cfg. file, but recall seeing something about contact points?
    Has anyone else noticed this?

I agree with Baz answers and John, good screenies like always!
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post

Martin, thankyou for your comments made at JF and the pics. When I first started this project, it was the intention to produce a replica of the original factory product. References used included the original Pilots Notes and manuals which of course, show the start plate and coffman starter ring. The decision was made to show these and to use them albeit electrically. (FS is not very good at loading and firing cartridges!)
    I have taken on board your comments but there are some which will not happen for budget and time reasons.

Anyway, thankyou for all the comment and rest assured I do take it on board. As with all JF/AH product, patches and upgrades will flow I can promise you that.

Enjoy the Chippie please, it was a pleasure to make.
    Many thanks, am enjoying it and can relate to all your hard work myself as am part of a small development team (Dave Molyneaux, Brian Horsey and myself) who create classic British aircraft for FS2004 (and FSX portovers!). We always strive to create something that is close as we can make it to the real thing and like yourself take great pride in all that we do. I have in the past, thought about jacking it in as to negative comments received, but am still here and if it wasn't for people like yourself, I would have to find a new hobby like knitting or flower arranging.

For anyone interested in the Coffman, found this this morning. Not very reliable and know of many that never fired on the first cartridge. The 'Armstrong' method is a lot better, only if you know what you are doing or having a strong arm and now most have electrical starters. Spoilt!

Thanks again for this and all your kind remarks (will leave you alone now!)

Cheers,

Martin

Near CYSE:

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Members who have read this thread: 11