FM-1 Wildcat/ Martlet V

Thread: FM-1 Wildcat/ Martlet V

Icon5 FM-1 Wildcat/ Martlet V

Anybody managed to convert the Overhaul F4F-3 or Donationware F4F-3 to represent a 4 gun FM-1 Wildcat with folding wings?

There were 1000 or so made, the Fleet Air Arm got 300+

Unc,
    As far as I know the FM-1 was a F4F-4 made by General Motors in Linden, New Jersey. My Mom worked in there as a welder. All you would have to do is use my FM-1 and slap some new skins on her.
    Bub
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FM-1 Wildcat F.jpg  
    "These Blockbuster Bombs don't go off unless you hit them JUST right". "Agent Provacateur".

According to my aircraft publications the FM-1 was identical to the F4F-4, but the FM-1 had four .50 mg with 430 rpg, while the F4F-4 had six .50 mg with 240 rpg. The B24 Guy has one that may work for the four gun FM-1, it is an F4F-3 with folding wings and the four guns.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...yword=f4f3.zip

Cheers,
    O

Hi All,
    Ok, I fixed it. It now has four guns and folding wings. I'll re-upload the correct FM-1 soon. Thanks for pointing out the error. I hate making such a silly mistake.
    Bub
    ps. Even the pilot is smiling.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FM-1 Wildcat.jpg   FM-1 Wildcat a.jpg  
    "These Blockbuster Bombs don't go off unless you hit them JUST right". "Agent Provacateur".

Looks good Bub. I read somewhere that pilots transitioning from the -3 to -4 preferred the rpg of the -3 over the six gun -4. Perhaps that is why General Motors went back to the four guns and higher rpg for the FM Wildcats. I suspect pilots of the FMs were probably happier campers.

Cheers,
    O

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries

Donationware F4f-4/FM-1

Uncle Tgt

Replace the gun stations (DP) in the Donationware F4f-4 with the 4-gun stations in the F4f-3 and you have a FM-1. You have some great skins to make it a Martlet V.

Braveheart

Icon22 Reply...

Bub,

This is looking great, thank you very much!
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Icon18

I don't want to steal Bub's thunder, but I think I should clarify something about the original question.

On both the OH and Donationware models, the MG barrels are modelled. You can swap the F4F-4 model with the F4F-3 gunstation data & you will get folding wings, but the outermost gun barrels will still be there. I've uploaded a few screenies to illustrate.

God Bless the B-24 Guy, because you can use his OH-F4F-3 model to make a 4 gun FM-1 without the extra gun barrels. You simply re-enable the wing fold animation in the aircraft.cfg & hey presto! a 4 gun Wildcat with folding wings.

Unfortunately, the same dodge didn't work with the Donationware F4F-3, the wing fold must be disabled in this model...

John,
    All I did was take an F-3 mdl and added the air and cfg from an F-4. I modified a dp to suit and renamed everything. It works fine and flies nicely. All your contact points, hardpoints, etc. are the same. Don't forget to rename the texture files. Panel and sounds are your choosing. If you want, I'll email you the files and you can take it from there. Again, thanks for those other files.
    Bob

Bub,

A much more elegant solution than my convoluted explanation.
    I'll wait for you to upload, then shamelessly slap some different paint all over her ....

Hi All,
    Here's the revised version. I'll get it uploaded tomorrow after I do a new ReadMe. Get your paint sprayers out Unc, and no shame in it.
    Bub
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FM-1 Wildcat 1.jpg  

more than one way to "skin a cat"

Thanks Bub, off to get her now...

Uploaded

Hi All,
    Just uploaded the revised proper four gun FM-1 Wildcat. It's essentially the same as the previous one. I made a couple of tweaks. Thanks for waiting and Unc, I like your sense of humor.
    Thanks,
    Bub

FM-1_Wildcat Black 4 revised.zip

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Aircraft - American

Description: Hi All,

Here's the revised FM-1. It now has its proper four gun layout. Please read the ReadMe's.

Thanks and have fun,

Bub

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit FM-1_Wildcat Black 4 revised.zip
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Quote Originally Posted by Oglivie View Post
    Looks good Bub. I read somewhere that pilots transitioning from the -3 to -4 preferred the rpg of the -3 over the six gun -4. Perhaps that is why General Motors went back to the four guns and higher rpg for the FM Wildcats. I suspect pilots of the FMs were probably happier campers.

Cheers,
    O

I have read the same information from my research into Marines using the Wildcats before the Hellcats came out.

Not only because of the reduced firing time on target, but because the increased weight of the extra two guns and ammo decreased the performance of the F4F-4 from that of the 3 model. Given the tactics used successfully against the more agile Zekes, that would be even more significant than the reduced firing time of the 4 model. Which brings me to this question:

Did you modify the air file to make it perform better than the 4?

DDog
    Devildog73

Semper Fi
    "Earned RESPECT seldom needs to demand respect"

DDog,
    From what I could find out, the F4F-4 and the FM-1 had virtually the same performance. The difference in weight was 5895 dry for the -4 and 5759 dry for the -1. A difference of 136 lbs. The -1 was also modified to carry two 250 lb bombs and six rockets. I read, somewhere, that due to the extra ammo the -1 weighed 75 lbs more than the -4. I made the dry weight 5759 lbs and figured that covered the bases. If someone has more definitive info, I'll be more than happy to make the changes.
    Bub

From what I gather from several sources, the 3 model was 10 to 11 MPH faster than the 4 model and had a rate of climb of about 100 feet per minute faster, though dive rates were about the same.

10 MPH faster does not seem like much, but apparently the pilots thought it important.

The 100 feet per minute faster climb rate on the other hand would be quite beneficial in a dogfight I would think.
    Devildog73

Semper Fi
    "Earned RESPECT seldom needs to demand respect"

DDog,
    You have to remember that the FM-1 was an F4F-4. The first 15, or so, made by Eastern had the six gun layout. After that, they went to the four gun setup. With folding wing, modifications for extra weapons and the extra ammo per gun the weight would have stayed close and the performance also. At this point the role of the Wildcat changed so I don't think they were that concerned with fighter to fighter performance. This chart may shed some light on this.
    Thanks,
    Bub
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F4F-4_PPC.jpg  

Looking for thedonationware Sim-OutHouse Wildcat.

Looking for the donationware Sim-OutHouse Wildcat.

I want it for the repaints from flightsim.com below:

S2004 (ACOF) - FS2004 Warbirds
    FS2004 Grumman Martlet/Wildcat
    [ Download | View ]

Name: msp3.zip
    Size: 8,577,188 Date: 05-26-2007 Downloads: 606

FS2004 Grumman Martlet/Wildcat five texture 'Super Pack'; textures only. Five authentic Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Martlet repaints for the donationware Sim-OutHouse Wildcat. Repaint by Jason Sparkes of UKMIL.L.

Searched the site, could not find it...

Any help please?

Jinx,

When you go to the "Warbirds" library, you can find all donationware at the very bottom of the index page.

you can also follow this link: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...s.php?catid=68

Cheers,
    Huub

Members who have read this thread: 3