Coming back!

Thread: Coming back!

Coming back!

Weeks ago my main pc crashed (also my laptop one month ago , used by daughter because it has Dora the explorer videos )
    I thought in the first time , it was a trouble with the hard disk (u cant imagine my suffering , and the nightmare that would be start again), but the problem was something with the BIOS. A old friend mine told me "dont worry Mario , just turn off ur machine , get out the 3Volts motherboard battery , wait thirty seconds, put back the batery and start ur machine again" .

I´m a lucky guy!

Just I was thinking, what if I lost my hard disk? In my job , i replace hard disks many times of my clients, but i dont know why i thought it never go happen to me!

I have hundred of planes converted by me. Most of them can´t be got from any library.

Also , to loss a lot of family pics!
    Men ... I ´m on track for a harddisk for backup.
    I suggesting you do the same.

Considering the amount of time spent with this hobby a USB external hard drive for file backups is a worth while investment I think. My external backup files saved my work and operating system files several times in the past and probably will again in the future incase of another

Cheers,
    O

48.800 N, 118.612 W. North Central Washington State, USA

Olgivie is right.

A 2TB hard disc is available for under $100USD. I have used one for 5 years now, and It has saved me many times. I live in a rural area with dirty power, and normally have to re-format and re-install at least twice a year. I have nearly 100GB of addons for the various flight sims I use, so you can imagine how much I depend on that USB drive. I back up every Saturday night, even if there's only a few MB of data to save. You can also use it to transfer files to a new or spare computer as needed. Just remember to unhook it and put it somewhere safe when your backup is complete.

Sorry about the misspelling of your name Oglive, I dunno where my alleged brain was.

No problem, Wayland. I didn't realize you mispelled it until you stated that you had. Getting a bit late in the evening I suspect. Actually it kind of reads better the way you have it (lol).

Cheers,
    O

48.800 N, 118.612 W. North Central Washington State, USA

Proofreading failure

I hadn't realized I booted it until after I posted, so I added the apology via edit. Normally I'm a good speller, but a rotten typist. I proof-read the body of the post, but not the title.

Welcome back!

Just had my on PC prob today. DVD drive quit working but given it is 10 years old no prob. I'll take it out and take a look at it. I gave it a quick clean and put it back in. (The laser looks to be a standard Xbox 360 lite-on/benq laser so I may have 1 laying around.)

Push the power button. Green light but no fans or montor.... Ahhhhhhhhhhh. Take drive out. Still don't work. Start unpluging everything, Nope. Pull chips, nope again. Ahhhhhhhhhhh, Fark, @*&$#, ^@)&@#*!!!!!

Out comes out the parts Gateway 500x. I'm out of ideas and ready to put my HDD into my parts one and hope. Before I do I stare at my was working 500x and wonder what the hell just happen and while doing so I look at the power supply (That the motherboad says it is geting power and the light on the front is working) I see a test button on the side of the power supply.

Push it, nope. Push and hold, nope. Plug in parts Gateway 500x and push it's power supply botton, nope. Push and hold, LED Lights up and fans spin. OKAY! Retest both. Same as before. Change power supply and it boots up.

No idea why it quit so quickly but the only warning sign I can think of was maybe that. Once this week and once last week DOS couldn't find my USB mouse that was pluged in and had power when it displayed the warning.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Icon2

Hi guys again!

As i said before , i replace hard disks frequently (i´m not a pc technician, I only do that with Digital Video Recorders for surveillance video cameras) in mostly cases Sata HDs.

But I do the same question to my self "why my hard disk has a long life (5 years) and now the things does not live more than 2 years?

Quality in some special parts worth the pain! I can play football with my main pc , simply I DONT CARE!! even with the video card BUT i dont with my HD inside.

You are right Misson,

Now almost all HDs are made in Communist China by kids paid pennies, if they are paid at all. There is no quality, let alone quality control.

Just try to buy anything computer NOT made in Communist China these days, it is almost impossible.

Your idea of an external is right on the money. I have a 500Gig external that has my entire flight sim library on it and it still has room to spare.

I have been thinking about a 1 or 2 TB external, but will wait until I am back in the States.

I absolutely love Europe but things are very expensive here.

DDog
    Devildog73

Semper Fi
    "Earned RESPECT seldom needs to demand respect"

Members who have read this thread: 1