Might wanna be sitting down for this one... - Page 4
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Might wanna be sitting down for this one...

Best wishes to guys at Aces, it is shocking news to hear FS franchise is being axed Hope you guys find a new job soon.

fsdreamscapes
    Hey Guys,

There may be some opportunities here at FS Dreamscapes for anyone at ACES looking to develop some projects...

I'm going to chase up a few leads tonight as well and see where those leads may go...

Good opportunity to rebuild a sim from the ground up...

Email me at dean|AT|fsdreamscapes|DOT|com if anyone from ACES is interested in developing some projects...

My prayers are with you guys,

Dean.

harleyman
    Still in shock over here....Can't believe this horrible news for all these MS people....

I like the idea above about the entire community chipping in and getting a new sim going..That ever happens..I'm in.......

I also wonder if and how this affects the latest MSTS that I have been drooling over for months now?

Looks like I can drop the need for an i7 build now....

I feel for the folks at ACES, not so much for MS. In fact I am switching my companies systems to Linux this year.

Anyway folks I have two words for you. Flight Gear.

A free, open source flightsim that could really be something if the talented people here were working on it.

I am not into the civilian sims much preferring the combat sims, but even I fly Flight Gear at times for something different. I am not sure if you could make payware add-ons for it but I do not see why not.
    Some of my favorite sites,

Dog rescue, Mostly Dalmatians and Beagles
    http://www.rockyspot.org/index.php

Big cat rescue, Lions, Tigers and Bears, oh my!
    http://www.gwpark.org/

Blog Entries
    To all you guys at ACES I want to encourage you. A very short few years ago I lost my dream job of 18 years in Silicon Valley. I was making money hand over fist and thought it would never end. It did and abruptly. I was handed divorce papers soon after, suffered from a serious health issue soon after that. I thought my world was collapsing around me and soom there would be no more me. All my friends walked away from me except one and he died two years later. I thought of suicide seriously. We lost our home, our plane, our cars and I was living out of a used KIA. She had a thing going with guy that had money and landed on her feet.

Guys, that was the second time in my life I had lost everything I cared about. At that most desperate point of my life I decided I could wallow in this or do something about it. God gave me the strength to take one step at a time and rebuild my life. It's been a little while, and I don't make what I used to, but I'm happy. I have a wonderful new wife, and in spite of some divorce issues that will never go away-don't ever get a California divorce-MOVE somewhere else, my life is a good one and I started a small network contractor business that keeps me afloat. I can grow it if I want to.

One thing I learned while serving the U.S. Army Airborne that always kept me going-that is another story. There is always one more thing you can do. Never give up, never quit, never say die, but most all, look at what skills you possess and make the most out of the tools you have to work with. There will always be obstacles in our way even in good times, we must learn to adapt and overcome. Every soldier knows this, and so should every man, woman and child.

This is a big community, and I think any of us would be willing to pony up whatever to help you guys, if you decide to build a new ground up sim or whatever other clever ideas you come up with. Together we are mighty. The economy we have now will not end as long as capitalism is alive and well. It is sick and in trouble because of some greedy wall street thieves, but not dead-not even with some new fools at the helm-don't make this political. Every administration has them!

We really appreciate what you guys have done for us. Don't allow yourselves to fall into depression, don't hesitate to ask us for help, but most important don't give up your dreams.
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Forgive me if this has been asked elsewhere in here. But I'd like to ask the ACES guys who posted here a question. "If" M/S is getting out of the Flight Simulator business or it is suspected they will do so, do you guys think it might be possible for another entity to buy FS from them to keep it going? If so maybe a mass fundraiser in the community and other sources could contribute a large portion of not all that is needed to acquire the rights to the product. Maybe it is a huge longshot but if M/S is going to drop FS, then why not?
    "Soon to be Expat"

Well this puts a crimp in my day, sad to see job losses but thats a global axe and it swings close to many here I'm sure, my self included.

Its the potential loss of TS2 that I personally find particularily hard, we already have a decent platform for FS ( FSx ) to keep us going for a few years but in TS there's nothing except RS and its pitfalls and the original TS1. This is MS second abort in that project vein and I highly suspect we'll never seen a new train sim for good deal of time.

Sad times ahead for many I fear.

Best

Michael

Happiness Consultant
    Maybe all the sim groups can get together now and create one great big world wide combat sim?

Planes, Trains, and ships?

The player picks the era ... and viola he's transported back in time, or to some date in the present and he has a virtual environment to make his combat.

Can you imagine flying a formation of bombers in to occupied Europe and see the rail system running trains and the like ... especially if your target was a rail head ...

Oh well ... I can dream can't I?
    "Trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty!" John Adams 1772

Snuffy / Ted

I like your dream, a lot.
    Some of my favorite sites,

Dog rescue, Mostly Dalmatians and Beagles
    http://www.rockyspot.org/index.php

Big cat rescue, Lions, Tigers and Bears, oh my!
    http://www.gwpark.org/

Quote Originally Posted by michael davies View Post
    Well this puts a crimp in my day, sad to see job losses but thats a global axe and it swings close to many here I'm sure, my self included.

Its the potential loss of TS2 that I personally find particularily hard, we already have a decent platform for FS ( FSx ) to keep us going for a few years but in TS there's nothing except RS and its pitfalls and the original TS1. This is MS second abort in that project vein and I highly suspect we'll never seen a new train sim for good deal of time.

Sad times ahead for many I fear.

Best

Michael
    I agree with you Michael, I have both Trainz and Rail Sim from Kuju, but I don't like them that much. I was waiting for TS2 mostly because of World of Rails concept.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by txnetcop View Post
    To all you guys at ACES I want to encourage you. A very short few years ago I lost my dream job of 18 years in Silicon Valley. I was making money hand over fist and thought it would never end. It did and abruptly. I was handed divorce papers soon after, suffered from a serious health issue soon after that. I thought my world was collapsing around me and soom there would be no more me. All my friends walked away from me except one and he died two years later. I thought of suicide seriously. We lost our home, our plane, our cars and I was living out of a used KIA. She had a thing going with guy that had money and landed on her feet.

Guys, that was the second time in my life I had lost everything I cared about. At that most desperate point of my life I decided I could wallow in this or do something about it. God gave me the strength to take one step at a time and rebuild my life. It's been a little while, and I don't make what I used to, but I'm happy. I have a wonderful new wife, and in spite of some divorce issues that will never go away-don't ever get a California divorce-MOVE somewhere else, my life is a good one and I started a small network contractor business that keeps me afloat. I can grow it if I want to.

One thing I learned while serving the U.S. Army Airborne that always kept me going-that is another story. There is always one more thing you can do. Never give up, never quit, never say die, but most all, look at what skills you possess and make the most out of the tools you have to work with. There will always be obstacles in our way even in good times, we must learn to adapt and overcome. Every soldier knows this, and so should every man, woman and child.

This is a big community, and I think any of us would be willing to pony up whatever to help you guys, if you decide to build a new ground up sim or whatever other clever ideas you come up with. Together we are mighty. The economy we have now will not end as long as capitalism is alive and well. It is sick and in trouble because of some greedy wall street thieves, but not dead-not even with some new fools at the helm-don't make this political. Every administration has them!

We really appreciate what you guys have done for us. Don't allow yourselves to fall into depression, don't hesitate to ask us for help, but most important don't give up your dreams.
    Ted
    Ted, it is rare that a person gets to our age without taking a canvas hitting blow or two. I share some of your story. It hurts, it sucks, but that, unfortunately is life. You later find there is life after X.

The guys at Aces with find there is life after Aces. We in the Ft Sim community wish them an even better future. Just know guys, that we support you in our hearts and prayers.

And Bill, I will gladly put up the $10.00.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

It's sad that we always have to lose something to fully realize its value.
    Many thanks to ACES for their work and dedication to the FS community and all the best to you!
    I'm very happy to fly ACES Flight Simulator X and to be able to enjoy its innovations.

BTW: http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13716

Said my piece at The Old Hangar but it is truely a sad day for Aces and simmers alike.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Come On Amigos!!!!...our beloved Sim was and is a "No Money" maker for Microsoft. So when things go sour in
    a company what do you do?...cut off the products that don´t make money fast. I and many of you were not impressed by FSX at the start and boy!!!! MS got the wrath of so many!!!!.....by that time FS9 must have trickle to nickels and dimes and some medicine doctor told the Aces to get going with Trains2!!!!! that fumbled the ball alright. Then we say the boss jumping ship followed by an economic meltdown, now MS kicks butt.......this was an accident ready to happen. But as everything in this world, things evolve either by discovery or earthquakes (political, business wise or sentimental). So enjoy FSX or FS9 for the next one is going to take a loooooooooooong time. Back to the my Missions.
    ---I thing there are Greater Opportunities today than yesterday!!!! I wish I was 26!!!

Quote Originally Posted by empeck View Post
    I agree with you Michael, I have both Trainz and Rail Sim from Kuju, but I don't like them that much. I was waiting for TS2 mostly because of World of Rails concept.
    Its the FSx physics and graphics that I wanted most, neither of the current contenders do both well, but do one ( graphics ) very well.

Whilst the loss of the majority ( all ? ) of Aces is a blow, it may not be as bad as one initially thinks, I've long since been a vocal adversary to this twice to thrice yearly churning out of new platforms, for developers its mind numbing to have to keep relearning new tools every two or three years.

If you look to FS9 there still developing and learning new stuff, even in CFS2 there's new stuff being found out now and again, looking at FSx we see weapons, ships and effects showing up now as more and more developers get into the sim, add to that Accusim and other developments going on theres plenty of mileage left in FSx. On a positive note theres a good two maybe three years of growth left in FSx, perhaps knowing that there isn't an FSxi will allow developers to relax and fully explore the current environment, I suspect in the past there has been a lot of rush and hype to get something new out and then rush onto something else, must get it done and get a return or mileage before it becomes redundant with a new sim on the horizon.

Developers are no longer in the two or three year relearn cycle, now they can settle back and explore properly, the end result will be better models and vastly better experience all round.

The previous concept was much like a platform game, take the Tomb Raider series, you rush through to get to the end and probably miss all the pockets of gold and secrets, the same could be said for FSx, now we don't have to rush, now we can look in all the nooks and crannies and discover much more, I especially like the look that the nautical side is taking, though I doubt theres much demand for 100,000 dwt container ships I'd love to make LOL.

So whilst the loss of the Aces staff and there devastating loss of a job is a bad thing, it may be the best thing to ever happen to the community by slowing down the development race and the thus raise the level of experience to new levels.

Best

Michael

Judging by the weather I have been downloading, Jepperesen has gotten the Ax too. FSX weather has always been off a bit but it ain't even close now.
    FS Meteo is a much better choice.
    Do ya'll find this true?
    :faint:
    Joe Watson
    Lake Placid, Florida

All I will add to this thread is that I really hope this is just a temporary shelving and that the team will be back at work when the economy straightens around.

Fortunately for us, FSX has "legs". Heck, it'll be another year or two till we have hardware to run it at its full potential. And if it's no longer a "moving target", the third party developers can really start cranking out the add-ons. Development has been really slow to this point because of SP1, SP2/Acceleration; the game was constantly changing just when developers thought they had a handle on it.

Best wishes to the ACES team and all the employees who have lost their jobs, hopefully it's just a temporary setback.

Jim

SOH-CM-2023
    What a day. First I could not log on to AVSIM, then saw that flightsim.com did not have upload updates yesterday. Then
    at simflight.com there was the zinger about MS and ACES. And now this thread. WOW. How terrible.

Sorry for the guys at ACES, hope you get on your feet soon.

I thought MSFS would be here forever. What about Windows?

We better make backup copies of everything, and protect those FS and Windows disks. In the past some of those early FS versions don't work on the later Windows/PC versions. Will future Windows eventually make all our FS versions obsolete?

Maybe ESP will serve as the core for future MSFS versions when the economy is better, provided ESP survives.

Should be an advantage to X-Plane sales.

Hopefully the FS community will continue to support addon developers, SOH and other FS web sites.

Meanwhile, I'm going to continue to enjoy FSX and all the great addons, and hope for good news in the future.

ESP is gone too.

Yeh Bill Gates is laughing all the way to the bank,saying thanks suckers for making me rich by buying me products.

I was hoping this would miraculously disappear overnight... but it didn't.

Good luck to everyone who was let go. Our hobby must always continue.

Anybody of a mind to vent could send the boss their thoughts on the subject steveb@microsoft.com , the decision is final no doubt, the Beans have been counted , PC gaming is toast .... Beans on Toast , an old Quebec Favourite ,, wonder what he is having for lunch today ?

harleyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck_Jodry-VJPL View Post
    Anybody of a mind to vent could send the boss their thoughts on the subject steveb@microsoft.com , the decision is final no doubt, the Beans have been counted , PC gaming is toast .... Beans on Toast , an old Quebec Favourite ,, wonder what he is having for lunch today ?

Already sent two his way.............:amen:

What is this ESP ????????

Blog Entries
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

harleyman
    Quote Originally Posted by txnetcop View Post

Thanks Ted..After asking the stupid question I googled it and read up on it......:faint: