Might wanna be sitting down for this one... - Page 11
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011

Thread: Might wanna be sitting down for this one...

My point (which I'm having a hard time making) is that FS (the "sim" idea) will consume the rest of Microsoft-- or Microsoft will join the dinosaurs. You can call it "World Sim" or "ESP" or whatever. The "ease of use" of a virtual world is just too great. Hardware and software will have to improve--and it's possible that what we call the "console" will take over and replace the clunky PC-- but doing business in the virtual world--where we currently fly-- is coming and it will take over.

Charter Member 2015
    FPS are good!

David :wave:

Concerning the Google-sim bit, Aersosoft did an experiment when FSX came out. They released a little freeware scenery for Luxembourg (unfortuneately they took it off again some time ago).

This Addon got all the google material in realtime while flying, so you could fly over photoreal Luxembourg and the addon delivered the autogen and custom buildings positioned on the google photomesh. Downside was the online loading time, requiring a fast connection!

Alex
    Dont grow up! ... Itīs a trap!

Quote Originally Posted by grunau_baby View Post
    This Addon got all the google material in realtime while flying, so you could fly over photoreal Luxembourg and the addon delivered the autogen and custom buildings positioned on the google photomesh.
    This has to be the most awesome feature of any terrain add-on for FSX I've ever seen!

Bjoern,

sorry I mixed it up a bit. No real time possible unfortunately, but scenery creation from google images via APS:
    http://www.aerosoft-shop2.com/produc...uxembourg.html

http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index....3&hl=luxemburg

Not bad, but still hours of online creationwork before flying. Still an interesting aproach!

Alex
    Dont grow up! ... Itīs a trap!

I've never expected a real-time procedure, but the idea of an automated autogen-generator for photoscenery is already awesome!

I posted a tutorial on creating photoscenery from Google Images on the FFDS forums and the Old Hanger forums:

http://www.aerodynamika.com/cgi-bin/...num=1226102970

It is painstaking; and don't forget, Google Earth basically only has a summer texture, no seasonal or night textures. (In my tutorial, I explain how you can fudge your basic summer textures into the others.)

To give some idea of how it turned out, the bottom half of the picture below shows some photo scenery I made for Cleburne, Texas. The top half of the picture is MegaCITY USA 2005 - Dallas/Fort Worth photo scenery. A bit of default scenery is on the left.

-James

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    You know....

We're going to end up building FS ourselves, lolol... Perhaps if we started raising money for the boys from Aces, start getting the code together, one or two of us meet with Google or someone with Earth scenery, we could probably make one 'boot kicking' sim!

(with weapons... with hybrid powerplants.. with rocket power... and with OpenGL!!!)

:d

EDIT: And perhaps a couple of versions of it for Mac and Linux... :d

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Quote Originally Posted by jhefner View Post
    I posted a tutorial on creating photoscenery from Google Images on the FFDS forums and the Old Hanger forums:

http://www.aerodynamika.com/cgi-bin/...num=1226102970

It is painstaking; and don't forget, Google Earth basically only has a summer texture, no seasonal or night textures.
    I've found making photoscenery very easy.

But other than for scenery development, I'm not seeing any use for a purely flat texture (with mesh elevations).

With autogen, however...

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    I've found making photoscenery very easy.

But other than for scenery development, I'm not seeing any use for a purely flat texture (with mesh elevations).

With autogen, however...
    Installing the photo scenery does seem to cause autogen objects to go away. However, that is not always bad; I noticed with the MegaCITY USA 2005 - Dallas/Fort Worth scenery that autogen buildings were being placed on top of roads, and other such silliness.

It doesn't remove buildings built into the scenery, or airport objects; here are some shots of Las Vegas with photo scenery showing both:

Photo scenery looks best from 3,000 to 5,000 ft anyway. I think it is better to intelligently place some landmarks in the right locations than to let autogen place objects in the wrong places. (If you don't know a city very well; autogen does a respectable job; but photo scenery is nice if you know a city well, and want to see all of the streets, buildings, railways and other landmarks in their correct locations.)

-James

Quote Originally Posted by extrudinator View Post
    Hmmmm.

It looks like Microsoft is run by a lunatic and a guy who wants to relive his glory days at the University of Illinois. Maybe Microsoft IS dead??

If you click on the words "The Metaverse" in my post it will take you to the Wiki article explaining what it is. It's the future of computing. One day you will don your Track IR-like device and go shopping on Gates Street in downtown Virtual City and just move around and interact with other people just like moving around and interacting in the "real" world. Communicate by voice (interpreted if required) and do business just as if you could move around the globe at will (like Superman)-- because you WILL be able to move around the globe at will. Don't like the price that guy is charging for Number 4 Wing Nuts? Go shopping in South Africa or take a side trip to Smolensk. Compare prices from around the world and set up deals without ever leaving your home office.

Is there a problem with shipping? Troubleshoot your delivery in The Metaverse. The merging of this "reality" with "virtual reality" will become more and more seamless over time. Eventually, we will swap back and forth from one "reality" to the other without blinking. All interfaces will become one.

This is twenty years in the future. Get ready for it. If Microsoft messes up at this stage they will be out of the game.
    You are correct............this is the future of computing---the merge of two worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by jhefner View Post
    (If you don't know a city very well; autogen does a respectable job; but photo scenery is nice if you know a city well, and want to see all of the streets, buildings, railways and other landmarks in their correct locations.)
    Even *if* I know a city very well, I gladly let FSX take a bit of artistic license when it comes to terrain accuracy.
    Photoscenery simply ruins everything for me. I prefer an approximate rendition of everything instead of one feature excelling at something (terrain accuracy) at the cost of another feature (depth perception).
    I stopped flying from the 2D panel for similar reasons.

Even *if* I know a city very well, I gladly let FSX take a bit of artistic license when it comes to terrain accuracy.
    Photoscenery simply ruins everything for me. I prefer an approximate rendition of everything instead of one feature excelling at something (terrain accuracy) at the cost of another feature (depth perception).
    To each his own; and maybe it is also part of the difference in the experience of flying in FSX vs FS9/FS8 (which is what I am used to) - the autogen is THAT much better in FSX. But, for me, it is both more pleasant and easier to fly VFR (in my case around the Dallas/Ft. Worth Texas metroplex) with photoscenery then with the sparse and often inaccurate autogen scenery.

-James

SOH-CM-2014

I am with Hefner on this.

Having flown so much earlier in life, been a student for a while, its the ground that you follow, noting your position and surroundings, landmarks, etc. Even in night flights, you check your location via highways (street lit of course), unless you are in IFR weather running the VOR's.

I much rather have real scenery then artificial, if its possible to have. And I'll take it without Autogen, espeically when you are up at 3,000 feet plus and looking down on them anyways. The terrain will 'appear' to have autogen and a 3D surface from the real world shading anyways. Only on landings and taking off do you see the autogen, which you will have at airports anyways.

Thats my personal preference though. My humble 2 cents.

Man, I would pay for TileProxy, I love it so much, lol... It is 'kick-boot!' :d Flying over new villages in the South of France, through the Alps near Innsbruck or Vienna, through the mountains of Colorado.. Oh man! Makes my palms sweaty thinking about it...

Bill

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate

Rabibu
    Awesome, that's sweet!

I think MS has found that most Flight Simmers can't keep up with the technology and don't buy new computers everytime they come out with a new Flight Simulator, as in the FSX version.

I think we will still be flying 20 years, even if it is called FSX. The addons will keep it updated.

SOH-CM-2014
    Good point Eliezer,

except that this time around, the technology wasnt released yet. DX10 wasnt out, DX10 capable graphics cards werent out. DX10 could only run on vista and that was in the process of being released. The chips (dual cores) werent running properly (at first) to enable faster smoother running of FSX. It was many months (I want to say over a year) before people could buy parts or entire computers that could run FSX smoothly with sliders at 75%.

It also showed us that you could spend $5,000.00 USD on a pro built gaming computer and still not run FSX smoothly.

At least now, 2 years later, there are a percentage of people that can now run it at full sliders, (100% of the sim).

Bill

gajit
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    I much rather have real scenery then artificial, if its possible to have. And I'll take it without Autogen, espeically when you are up at 3,000 feet plus and looking down on them anyways. The terrain will 'appear' to have autogen and a 3D surface from the real world shading anyways. Only on landings and taking off do you see the autogen, which you will have at airports anyways.
    I agree Bill. Most of the buildings are horrid little boxes anyway best seen from a few thousand ft except for the odd good bit of payware.

Shameless plug, I suppose? But this was posted at the Flight1 forums and looks promising. I haven't seen it within the sim, so the true effects remain to be seen.

http://www.simforums.com/forums/foru....asp?TID=30107

I've been a customer of Allen's work since the USA Roads product and work with him now as a tester. His work has always advanced the simming experience for me and I think Product 'X' will continue to do the same.

I spent many a year traveling the interstates of America and many of it's backroads, so to see an area from above where I had experienced it at flight level 11' before is entertaining.

As mentioned in the posting there will be texture work done to eliminate the fake roads and other stuff that comes with default textures.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshman View Post
    As mentioned in the posting there will be texture work done to eliminate the fake roads and other stuff that comes with default textures.
    Development time: Ten years.

Since it would basically mean redrawing most of FSX's ground textures.

Pearl Harbor Project developer
    That is an awesome looking tool.

I have delved into the SDK and have built software to recognize road maps to create vectors for roads in FSX.... but recognizing individual building footprints.... WoW. :faint:
    crashAZ- Virtual Navy
    [SIGPIC]http://www.sim-outhouse.net/images/rtwr2013/rtwr2013_sm.png[/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Meshman View Post
    Shameless plug, I suppose? But this was posted at the Flight1 forums and looks promising. I haven't seen it within the sim, so the true effects remain to be seen.

http://www.simforums.com/forums/foru....asp?TID=30107
    An addon like this will make a staggering difference. It will truly be "the biggest thing to ever happen to FS", unlike that megascenery thing. It deserves its own thread on here, not mixed in with the downfall of ACES.