autogen and terrain textures issues

Thread: autogen and terrain textures issues

autogen and terrain textures issues

After buying the Aerosoft EE Lightning (still a beast!) I decided to install to both FSX And P3dV2.
    I haven't played P3d in a while and I forgot why until I remembered in flight.
    You'll have to bear with me, I haven't looked very far in the P3d forum and I'd feel awful if the question's already been asked and answered but...

when I start on the tarmac, the autogen trees and buildings are all there, but then, after I take off and move a little bit, the textures lose their clarity, and the autogen just fades away and soon enough my computer is struggling to load it all and I'm sitting there upset, loving my smooth frames at first then watching it all turn into a blurry, jagged, treeless mess.
    FSX loaded the autogen much farther out, while P3d V2.2 starts out strong then fades out WELL within the range I'd call "BS"

What is the best action I can take here folks?

What version are you using and also what affinity mask do you have set?

Also, did you update to V2 or do a fresh install?
    My scenery development galleries:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x0skkam7xu8zz8r/DFwnonB1nH

Solomon 1943 V2 Open beta download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...on-1943-V2.zip
    Solomon 1943 V2 update 2013-02-05 download: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/download...2013-02-05.zip

Current Project: DHC-4 / C-7a Caribou by Tailored Radials
    Dev-Gallery at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qjdtcoxeg...bAG-2V4Ja?dl=0

Quote Originally Posted by SH427 View Post
    After buying the Aerosoft EE Lightning (still a beast!) I decided to install to both FSX And P3dV2.
    I haven't played P3d in a while and I forgot why until I remembered in flight.
    You'll have to bear with me, I haven't looked very far in the P3d forum and I'd feel awful if the question's already been asked and answered but...

when I start on the tarmac, the autogen trees and buildings are all there, but then, after I take off and move a little bit, the textures lose their clarity, and the autogen just fades away and soon enough my computer is struggling to load it all and I'm sitting there upset, loving my smooth frames at first then watching it all turn into a blurry, jagged, treeless mess.
    FSX loaded the autogen much farther out, while P3d V2.2 starts out strong then fades out WELL within the range I'd call "BS"

What is the best action I can take here folks?
    Go to your task manager after you have started the sim. Find prepar3d.exe in the process list and right click it to go to the affinity settings. Ensure the core0 is selected. The close the task manager and go back to your sim. The blurries should be gone
    My CPU is an i7 with 4 physical cores and hyperthreading is inactive. So I have only the 4 physical cores showing in the task manager.
    When I don't set the affinity, I get blurries after 30 seconds of flight.
    When I DO set the affinity, I can fly past Mach1 over photoscenery without any blurries.

Ah, yes, I knew I was forgetting some important information. That's what you get when you post at 12 o'clock in the morning.

I'm running version 2.2, updated from a purchased 2.1, I have affinity set to 14 set manually in the prepar3d.cfg

Daube, I'll try your method and report back shortly

Ah, yes, I knew I was forgetting some important information. That's what you get when you post at 12 o'clock in the morning.

I'm running version 2.2, updated from a purchased 2.1, I have affinity set to 14 set manually in the prepar3d.cfg

Daube, I'll try your method and report back shortly
    Remove that affinity mask tweak from the Prepar3d.cfg.
    Even though I used that tweak in FSX, I am not using it anymore in P3D. And when I launch p3d and go to the task manager to look at the affinity settings, I can see that the core 0 is disabled by default. That's why I actually have to click on it to select it. If I don't do that, I simply can't fly anything else but the Cub... or the Jenny :')

Eventually, I'll have to test the affinity mask tweak again in P3D, but this time with a value set to 15. Doing so should activate the core0 automatically from the start, without having to go in the task manager every time... However, *it seems to me* that the smoothness of the sim isn't as good. At least, that was the result in FSX, and I believe my first tests with P3D v2 gave similar results... but I'll have to check that again, just to be sure.

So in the end, the two choices are the following:
    1- no affinity_mask tweak, and go to task manager each time you launch the sim to enable the core0
    2- affinity_mask tweak set to 15 (for a quad core without hyperthreading), and no action in the task manager.

Choice #1 is my current choice and it gives excellent results.
    Choice #2 might be worth testing. Investigations are needed.

set the affinity via Task Manager with the tweak still active in the CFG, and the game became far more seamless and frames were pegged at 30 (limited) almost the whole time, blurries occur in line with FSX now.

But the autogen is still spawning a short distance away, and while now it's loading is a little hastier, it's still loading within a small radius.

Glad to see you could get some improvements

The small radius of the autogen is a limitation of P3D v2.2.
    I believe somebody here even made a topic about this.

Back to the blurries: normally, you should get much better performace than FSX. In my FSX, there absolutely no way I could fly at more than 250 knots over photoscenery without getting blurries. In P3d v2.2, I can fly at Mach1 at low altitude (1000 feet) without blurries over photoscenery. And even over OrbX scenery, I can fly at least at 500 knots without blurries. In FSX, with my computer, this is simply impossible.

did a quick (30 minute) flight with the lightning, and the blurries are, as I reported earlier,staying on par with FSX
    I'm running a sandy Bridge i5 3.0ghz, so I think thats as good as it gets, really.
    And as long as the autogen radius is out of my control then I'm okay with it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	high flight.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	9025

Since texture loading in V2.2 is now handled by the GPU, I guess I should ask what graphics card are you running and how much on-board memory? I'm with Daube on this, you shouldn't be seeing texture loading in line with FSX at all, unless your Graphics Card is unable to handle the load.

ATI HD6970 with 1 GB onboard memory, made by HIS

It's a great card running DX11, HAWKEN and a multitude of other games work great, but FSX and P3d tend to make it seem old. I'm going to check up on the drivers and the ATI Overdrive configurations and see if I have some wiggle room there.

EDIT: seems like sometime over the last few days or so my overclocking settings have all reset. I set it back to the norms where I had it and the blurries are further dissappeared. Too bad I can't seem to keep the Canberra in the air for the life of me either...

ATI HD6970 with 1 GB onboard memory, made by HIS

It's a great card running DX11, HAWKEN and a multitude of other games work great, but FSX and P3d tend to make it seem old. I'm going to check up on the drivers and the ATI Overdrive configurations and see if I have some wiggle room there.

EDIT: seems like sometime over the last few days or so my overclocking settings have all reset. I set it back to the norms where I had it and the blurries are further disappeared. Too bad I can't seem to keep the Canberra in the air for the life of me either...
    Yep, that would be the weak link then, again with 2.2 relying on the GPU to handle textures, at least 2gig is best. . .some on the LM Forums have stated the sim was built around a 4gig card, however I know of at least one simmer who purchased just such a card and says that even with full autogen settings and shadows the card rarely pulls more than 2gig and most often less. If you ever have the opportunity to upgrade, that would be the best investment.

Thanks for the question and thanks for the answers.

I've been having the same problem but now I can get back to enjoying the sim again...........after I have sorted out the flickering shadows.

Cheers

Blog Entries
    Hi,
    I also have problems with flickering shadows, is there a fix for this?

Regards,
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanHenry View Post
    Hi,
    I also have problems with flickering shadows, is there a fix for this?

Regards,
    Ian
    I've watched some video from some of the professionals on the LM forums and even with their setups I still see flickering shadows. I don't know that there is a "fix" for this, other than adjusting the settings. I know that lower shadow settings tend to produce that flickering, but I can't max mine out without affecting the fps, so I just accept the slight flickering.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    I've watched some video from some of the professionals on the LM forums and even with their setups I still see flickering shadows. I don't know that there is a "fix" for this, other than adjusting the settings. I know that lower shadow settings tend to produce that flickering, but I can't max mine out without affecting the fps, so I just accept the slight flickering.
    It's a bit of a pain especially with the Aerosoft Lightning.

Ian

Members who have read this thread: 7