Transcontinental Tradewind

Thread: Transcontinental Tradewind

Transcontinental Tradewind

On February 24th, 1955 a Convair R3Y-1 Tradewind set the turboprop transcontinental speed record with a flight of six hours flat. The record still stands today.

This was my attempt to replicate that with the Virtavia FSX model. As you can see I fell short of the record due mostly to a lackluster Jet Stream.

Overall route was North Island NAS San Diego to NAS Patuxent River Maryland. Clocking in at :06:42:01.

Notes:

There were a couple of issues. One, about an hour into the flight, my 8yr old came over to take a look and there was a spilled beverage incident. In hurrying to clean up the mess, I didn’t see that the R3Y-1 had gone into overspeed and I had to pitch up to FL300 to bleed off the excess speed. (The model does not easily slow. Not sure if this is a real attribute or a Virtavia quirk). With 89.5 seconds of overspeed registered, I had to be conservative the rest of the flight.

Also suffered more overspeed time with several wind shifts over Virginia on descent. Eventually a total of 103.1 seconds!

The other nitpick is that my segment from Albuquerque to Wichita was not the most concise.

OT: This was a good test of FSX running under Windows 8.1. Knock on wood.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 01.jpg   02.jpg   03.jpg   04.jpg   05.jpg   06.jpg  

Hey Moses03, looks like Moses01 is looking to join the action! Nice presentation Kevin, thanks.

Jim

Great flight. Hate it when the Jet Stream is lack luster when I have a sense of urgency. Somebody needs to light a fire under that thing. Is there a chapter in the emergency procedures checklist for spilled beverages in the cockpit?
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Hey All,

I saw this post and thought - that be fun to do. Haven't flown in a while and so chose my favorite PC-12. Love this single engine turboprop. All real planes run on kerosene . Course I'm slower (48 mins) than Moses but that isn't what its about - just a long flight historic enjoying FS. Didn't get any snaps taking off - trying to remember how to fly the plane.

Attachments are - over Albuquerque, over Whichita, over whatever it was in Kentucky - Louisville?, at NAS Pastuxent, the duenna.

Very enjoyable - have at it you guys.

-Ed-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NAS1.jpg   NAS2.jpg   NAS3.jpg   NAS4.jpg   FlightLog_22-12-20.JPG  
    My heroes have always been cowboys and they all carried guns-
    and they all rode horses-that is all but one.
    When he went to the rescue he flew a Cessna plane.
    His ranch was called the "Flying Crown" and "Sky King" was his name. -Jim Dilly-

The rich man writes the book of laws that the poor man must defend, but the highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men. - Ricky Skaggs-

Nice show Ed. Looks like you had a better Jet Stream.

Members who have read this thread: 3