Revised Chipmunk - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Revised Chipmunk

I love you, baz!

Quote Originally Posted by SeanTK View Post
    Cute. This really would be interesting to see for the sim, and also serves as an apparently effective distraction away from the currently identified issues with the "other" Chipmunk.

Hopefully we'll see this novelty released for fun, and the developer will choose to at least acknowledge those points made in the other thread for the proper aircraft, rather than just make light of those pointing out their concerns through exercises such as this.
    Or, you know, the rivet counters could just back the f+++ off for a change.

Or count the rivets on the real thing in a museum for a change.

And then polish them to give the planes a well deserved treat.

Nitpicking and rivet counting can not become acceptable behaviour. It does not help to "improve average model quality" and usually trickles down right into the freeware domain where it either drives away seasoned contributors or makes usually nice guys wanting to punch an innocent kitten and abduct baby ducks from the park for ransom.
    Especially payware developers have to strike a balance between timely delivery of their products, an acceptable representation and productivity limitations inherent in the toolset that MS provided for its simulators. And maybe they also have a life or a real job.
    If one does not like the offerings presented for ones simulator of choice, be it free- or payware, there's always the option of getting one's nitpicking arse and do it oneself. It will be the surest way to hammer in the lessons that developers of MSFS stuff are usually not living in a crystal palace of scamming customers with boxy wing profiles or framed canopies.

Time for anger-fueled sports.

I realize that for a developer these kind of remarks are annoying. But to be fair to Paul J and SeanTK, I think they were under the impression that there was still time to mend what they saw as errors in the modelling. And let's be honest, if a particular aircraft is close to your heart (as I gather it was in Paul J's case), we all would be a bit more critical/vocal of errors (perceived or real). I guess the "mistake" they made is that their expectations were set to high and they "failed" to see/accept that this product may not be aimed at them.

Looking forward to see how the Chippie turns out .
    TFZ-034
    "I fought the law and the law won ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post

Or, you know, the rivet counters could just back the f+++ off for a change.

Not going to happen in this generation... and you just fueled it further. Let it be and enjoy baz's work.

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Yeah, let's leave it and enjoy the humour. I think even the cardboard Chippie would be beyond my abilities
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Looking forward to the model regardless.

A simple statement from "bazzar" stating that they will not be addressing concerns or suggested changes and/or they will take them into account in the future would have been nice.

Instead, he chose to respond to critiques in the original Chippie thread with the creation of this thread in which a cardboard model is featured, and the crowd pretends to critique it, which struck me as extremely unprofessional and arrogant. That's all, and I'm dropping it now as obviously this attitude is permitted based on some factor that I am not privy to.

Additionally, I did see a now deleted comment stating that it doesn't make a difference what we say since it's the only Chipmunk available beyond Rick Piper's model, which struck me as arrogant as well, but I obviously can't substantiate that since it's now deleted and I didn't take a screenshot of it.

Again, looking forward to the model (and the cardboard one! ) and future products, as long as developers are able to take comments and concerns in stride, and understand that their skills may not be perfect.

Any price point on the actual Chippie yet?

Quote Originally Posted by SeanTK View Post
    Any price point on the actual Chippie yet?
    From the JF website: http://www.justflight.com/articles/d...e-end-may-2014

This new Chipmunk will be priced at just £9.99 / €12.95 / $14.99 for an introductory period (normal price £14.99 / €18.95 / $21.99) and shortly after release a Royal Canadian Air Force variant with a 'bubble' canopy will be available FREE to all buyers.

I for one can't wait for it to be released.I think it looks fantastic.

I'm afraid I won't be buying this Chippie model, due to concerns for its structural integrity: the wing has the cardboard corrugations running fore & aft and while we need allow a little wing flex, I fear these will be more like floppy after a flip or two. It would also be nice to have a real paint kit instead of the felt tips.

In all seriousness, the tone of some criticisms of the upcoming JF Chippie needed more thought. Whoever we are, it's better to think a bit longer before hitting "Submit Reply" - and think how you would react if someone criticised your work in the same tone.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

aaaaand for our Canadian friends.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bubble_canopy.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	8718

We went with the 3 bubble.If you peer closely enough you can see we added the limited edition high head room version. Like the gurney bubble in the ford gt40's. This is for taller pilots. As has been noted the pilots are a little small but that might be down to the fact we used an aussie 5 cent piece to (badly ) cut around.

To address all the concerns.

1. These take all of around 1 hour to make and set up. They are a way of letting of steam after trying to wrestle with NAV1 OBS ERROR values not actually reporting correct values in a glass HUD. If we didnt let off steam we might do something like take offense to something someone typed on a forum or something stupid like that. And by someone I dont mean anybody in particular and by stupid I dont mean to denigrate your life choices or your ability to reason or otherwise.

2. Fun... remember that. We remember fun. Fondly. The way everyone would wait for panther99fs to buy the latest and greatest addon ( even if he didnt actually want it ) and show screenshots. The fun we had when we found that chicken diner in FS9 outside Seattle and the competition afterwards. The friendly rivalry between netwings and SOH.

In fact remember this from 2003 ?

Name:	ah_pump2003.jpg 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	8719

3. I think we are asking permission on releasing these or something ...Baz can tell me more. For now the spitfire ( that fires it's guns when you open the canopy ) is available in the downloads area. Yes you can see the guns firing from the VC. You'll need to make the pew pew sounds yourself. The VC is the same as the one in the cardmunk. The gauges are semi accurate the ASI is in mph when you hit the "fast" pip on the gauge you are going... fast.

Lastly.

Name:	tumblr_ktnaa0utuw1qa2i2xo1_400.gif 
Size:	208.2 KB 
ID:	8720

In fairness to PJ he wasn't the only person to make comment on the percieved shortcomings of this model - the things he made comments on have been commented on elsewhere, on other forums. I think is natural when there is a well loved freeware model that for it's time was of a very high standard to be compared to, to address what may be percieved shortcomings in this payware model. There are a lot of double standards going on here and I'm out of this place. Bazaar I bet you never have to buy toilet paper, hanging around here.

I don't think anybody is comparing this effort to Rick's freeware. But because an individual produced something a few years back, does that make it law that one cannot produce another. Does it mean that person has to be deified or canonised or something?

Are there special rites one has to obey? Some strange offering that has to be made to the gods of freeware?

I have enjoyed Rick's creation for years and I am sure if Rick is reading this he's laughing all over his face.

If you don't like or want this offering don't buy it.

Grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by guzzi View Post
    In fairness to PJ he wasn't the only person to make comment on the percieved shortcomings of this model - the things he made comments on have been commented on elsewhere, on other forums. I think is natural when there is a well loved freeware model that for it's time was of a very high standard to be compared to, to address what may be percieved shortcomings in this payware model. There are a lot of double standards going on here and I'm out of this place. Bazaar I bet you never have to buy toilet paper, hanging around here.
    Well thanks for that guzzi. It's probably better if you stay over at CBFsim as biplaneflyer as your particular brand of corrosive comments are not welcome here.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Members who have read this thread: 147