FR Heron Progress

Thread: FR Heron Progress

FR Heron Progress

Coming along! Presently working on liveries, of which there are lots and lots to chose from, as this aircraft type flew for airlines around the world, on every continent. Package will include all four marks of Heron, 1, 1a, 2 and 2a, the last also having working featherable props. More screenshots as liveries are done, these here are just a small sample....

The BEA aircraft here has the spray-guard on the nose-wheel, as it spent much of its long career servicing Scotland and its associated islands, including landing on the famous airport beach at Barra.

Mike

Fantastic ! Mike

Sweeeeet!
    Looking forward to this.

Those are looking great. Maybe I'll re-enact that delivery flight when one was flown to Hawaii for an airline there. I don't remember if they had more than one, but they had to fly around the world eastward to get there, because it didn't have the range to fly from the west coast of the U.S. to Hawaii. It island hopped from the West to get there. Thanks for the previews.

Very nice Mike (as ususal). Are you sure about the registration of one in the Lufthansa livery? The registration is Dutch and indeed belonged to a Heron 2b from January 1962 until July 1963, however this Heron was owned by Martin's Luchtvervoer Maatschappij NV, Schiphol (Martin's Air Service/Martinair).

It could be that the aircraft was hired by Lufthansa, but I could not find any record of this.

Cheers,
    Huub

SOH-CM-2023
    Blog Entries
    Looking very nice, Mike!

Lovely!

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Very nice Mike (as ususal). Are you sure about the registration of one in the Lufthansa livery? The registration is Dutch and indeed belonged to a Heron 2b from January 1962 until July 1963, however this Heron was owned by Martin's Luchtvervoer Maatschappij NV, Schiphol (Martin's Air Service/Martinair).

It could be that the aircraft was hired by Lufthansa, but I could not find any record of this.

Cheers,
    Huub
    Here you go, Huub:

Mike

It is good to learn of your further progress.

I am very much looking forward to the release.

best

nio

Looking good Mike!
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Superb!

What's the story on the spray-guard, Mike ? Didn't the gear retract anymore on this type ?

cheers,
    jan

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Superb!

What's the story on the spray-guard, Mike ? Didn't the gear retract anymore on this type ?

cheers,
    jan
    Hi Jan,

Marks 1 and 1A had fixed gear, while the 2 and 2A had retracting gear - not that it made a huge difference in performance, apparently!

The spray guard was mainly for landing on beaches, as seen here:

Mike

Looking really good!

Prinair in the base package, please? Any chance?

Or should I start harassing repainters now?

(Or finally learn to paint... yeah, I know...)

Am very much looking forward to this.
    "Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by mike_cyul View Post
    Here you go, Huub
    Thanks Mike, the aircraft must have been hired by Lufthansa for a short period as the aircraft received a UK registration in Juy 1963 already and the registration PH-VLA was used on a Dove. But that's another story!

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by mike_cyul View Post
    Hi Jan,Marks 1 and 1A had fixed gear, while the 2 and 2A had retracting gear - not that it made a huge difference in performance, apparently! The spray guard was mainly for landing on beaches, as seen here:

Mike
    Thanks, Mike ! Interesting and very peculiar ! ( landing on beaches and all... ) I must read up about the Heron. Know more about the Dove... ( my first ever digital aircraft model, BAO A&SD for FS4... )

Can't wait to try a first beach landing with the Heron !

Cheers,
    Jan

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    .... and the registration PH-VLA was used on a Dove. But that's another story!
    Still hoping that it isn't.... ( notch,notch,wink,wink, )

Cheers,
    Jan

The fixed gear is very unique. I don't think I have seen another modern (1950/60 something) low wing airliner with fixed tricycle gear. More amazing that it didn't much affect the performance in range or speed?

Very nice work

Members who have read this thread: 84