My Goshawk is doing the Funky Chicken

Thread: My Goshawk is doing the Funky Chicken

My Goshawk is doing the Funky Chicken

I recently updated my T-45 with the T45cv261.zip I got from Dino's site. When I flew it out of Miramar it started bucking or porpoiseing on the climbout without any input from me. I leveled off and it still did it.

Thinking I had some legacy problem or a corrupted download, I deleted it and re download and installed. Same thing happened. I did notice the AOA gauge fluctuating wildly on the tarmac prior to takeoff but it may have been caused by my Wx setting of 10 knots gusting to 16. I set the Fair Weather preset but still the same problem. It doesn't present itself on other aircraft.

Am I missing an FDE update or patch or something? I flew the earlier version of the freeware gem with no problems whatsoever. It has been my go-to Mil Jet.

Puzzled?
    Obie

The latest iterations of the Goshawk feature a small change in the FDE which (supposedly) improves the controllability at low speeds... As result, the stick is now more sensitive during takeoff and Landing.
    This does not seem to be much of a problem on my machine and my settings...maybe it is with other stick / sensitivity settings...
    If there is consensus that this is a problem I will backtrack to the previous dynamics.

BTW Disegard the AoA readings on the Tarmac - they are inaccurate (albeit straight from FSX engine...).

Dino

No longer active
    Quote Originally Posted by Obie311 View Post
    When I flew it out of Miramar it started bucking or porpoiseing on the climbout without any input from me. I leveled off and it still did it.
    Acu feel settings correct ?

All,

I would appreciate if you can confirm that the latest flight model has no intrinsic instability!

Thanks!

To Obie: What Bernt said. Check if you have Accufeel activated for this plane. If you do check if the settings for stall speed etc are realistic. For a fast check deactivate Accufeel for the T-45 and see if you get normal behavior back.

Dino, I have flown the version just prior to 2.61 with no problems. I'll go get the 2.61 and check later.

Edit: I actually had 2.61 installed. No funky behavior here.
    Last edited by Dimus; May 12th, 2014 at 10:07.

Thanks for the suggestions. I deactivated Accu-Feel and the weird flight behaviour went away. The Accu-Feel was at the default setting. I hadn't tweaked anything but it definitely was the problem. I didn't think to look at the parameters especially stall speed. Will do that next time I load FSX.

Obie

Most probably the offending parameter is the Vne. Set this to a high value (Dino will know what this should be exactly) and your problem will probably be rectified and you'll also have accufeel back for the plane.

Would be nice to know what to set accu feel to, I've had the wild bucking on the last two versions of this aircraft which is a shame as its a superb model but it really puts me off using it, I tried turning quite a few of the settings off relating to turbulence but to no avail.
    I7 3700k @ 4.5 ghz, 2 x 8 gig 2133ghz ram, Evga gtx 780 classified, samsung 840 pro 250 gig ssd for op system, Win 7 64 bit ultimate, Samsung 840 evo for fsx photo scenery, 600 gig wd velocraptor for fsx, creative XFI fatality sound card.

Quote Originally Posted by sleightflight View Post
    Would be nice to know what to set accu feel to, I've had the wild bucking on the last two versions of this aircraft which is a shame as its a superb model but it really puts me off using it, I tried turning quite a few of the settings off relating to turbulence but to no avail.
    This is A2A's problem not Dino's so perhaps ask on their forums if anyone has suggestions for accufeel for this aircraft?.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

I have Accu-feel and haven't experienced this. The last couple versions have been a bit more sensitive in pitch, but I haven't seen anything like the problem described above. If I'm not mistaken (and I could be) fliger747 did the flight models for this ship, and he's pretty good at it... I can't imagine the VNE value affecting this sort of thing, but could be wrong. Interested in learning what the final result turns out to be.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

All,

Apparently the problem is not on the Goshawk... still, I am sorry that some users are having bad experiences for its apparent imcopatibility with the Accu Feel.
    Unfortunately I do not use that software and I am unable to provide settings for it.

Aside, FM for this is mostly my own work. In general it should be quite close to the real deal as I have checked against the real flight manual several times - its weakest spot is the fact that below 120-125 the plane goes nose-down...which I am sure it does not happen in the real thing. This is definitely not a good behavior for carrier landings, and the recent changes in that area do not fix that problem. But apart from that, everything should be fine...

No worries Dino. I am a grateful and enthusiastic user of your excellent aircraft. I'll just use it without the Accu-Feel engaged. I like Accu-Feel primarily for the old, creaky crates anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    I can't imagine the VNE value affecting this sort of thing, but could be wrong.
    Accufeel applies a violent shaking after Vne is exceeded, which looks like what the OP described. In my install with Vne of abt 550knots I do not have issues, unless of course I exceed that. I don't know if this is the correct Vne for the T-45C. I believe that Accufeel takes these values from the .air file but sometimes it does not fully work and tweaking is needed.

OK, thanks guys. I will have a look at what the VNE speed is set to in accufeel.
    I7 3700k @ 4.5 ghz, 2 x 8 gig 2133ghz ram, Evga gtx 780 classified, samsung 840 pro 250 gig ssd for op system, Win 7 64 bit ultimate, Samsung 840 evo for fsx photo scenery, 600 gig wd velocraptor for fsx, creative XFI fatality sound card.

No longer active
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    I believe that Accufeel takes these values from the .air file but sometimes it does not fully work and tweaking is needed.
    Limiting speeds are defined in the cfg file. As nice as Accufeel might be, by far the most 'complaints' about FDEs result from incorrect Accufeel settings. Really frustrating.

Members who have read this thread: 91