Issue 9 Combat Flight Simulator 2 Magazine OUT NOW

Thread: Issue 9 Combat Flight Simulator 2 Magazine OUT NOW

Issue 9 Combat Flight Simulator 2 Magazine OUT NOW

Hi all,
    Issue 9 now out, can be downloaded at
    http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/CFS2_Magazine.htm

Robert John
    Last edited by Robert John; May 8th, 2014 at 13:08. Reason: Wrote wrong issue no:

Something broken... I click on download and get a page with.

Not Found

The requested URL /cgi-bin/ccount/click.php was not found on this server.

This is also happens for all mag downloads now.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Dave at http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/ said the server is being moved, should be up and running soon.
    Robert John.

Sorry Guys,
    ATT and I are working on it as fast as possible, hopefully just a few more hours.

They really made a mess of things.

Dave
    http://www.TheFreeFlightSite.com
    "Laissez les bon temps rouler"

I was interested in what you have done with the CFS1 objects as I want to see if I can get them back to working like in CFS1 so that when they are destoryed they at lest leave a crater behind.

I never got too far with this idea other than duping the CFS1 lib into .3ds and messing around with a few buildings. Never got z-bias working to fix the runways saddly.

Allen
    I was interested in what you have done with the CFS1 objects as I want to see if I can get them back to working like in CFS1 so that when they are destoryed they at lest leave a crater behind.

I never got too far with this idea other than duping the CFS1 lib into .3ds and messing around with a few buildings. Never got z-bias working to fix the runways saddly.
    Hi Allen,
    I remodelled the object using MCX and GMAX etc, they have better lods and have damage models, ie Dam_veh,Dam_Tank etc.
    Z-bias is not that hard I will show you how to use it in the material editor soon.
    RJ

Robert,
    congrats for your last issue of the magazine, i'll download just after Dave has repaired the links.
    A question,regarding mainly the default Cfs1 buildings: do you believe the size of them is correct or, instead, underdimensioned??
    Thanks,
    Gius

Issue 9 can now be downloaded ( temp Fix), Working on the rest continues

Dave
    http://www.TheFreeFlightSite.com
    "Laissez les bon temps rouler"

A question,regarding mainly the default Cfs1 buildings: do you believe the size of them is correct or, instead, underdimensioned??
    Thanks,
    Hi Gius,
    Some and only some cfs1 buildings from the scenery_cfs_library imho are slightly undersized but not by much.
    The cfs1 objects from cfs1 are not really compatible with cfs2, I know I tried.
    RJ

Quote Originally Posted by Robert John View Post
    Hi Allen,
    I remodelled the object using MCX and GMAX etc, they have better lods and have damage models, ie Dam_veh,Dam_Tank etc.
    Z-bias is not that hard I will show you how to use it in the material editor soon.
    RJ
    Doing much the same with MCX and GMAX but no remodel. Just wanted to get them working as they did in CFS1. I tried to adding the Z-bias best I could understand in the material editor than export as a exploding object (norm model, dam model.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_1.png.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	8056Hi Allen, screenshot of material editor in gmax, I use _9_ which is the top you can try 1 to 9.
    I am still learning and 9 seems OK. Hope this helps.
    Robert John

Hi Gius,
    Some and only some cfs1 buildings from the scenery_cfs_library imho are slightly undersized but not by much.
    The cfs1 objects from cfs1 are not really compatible with cfs2, I know I tried.
    RJ
    Thank you Robert, now i'm going to download your last magazine, then i'll let you know my impressions.

Didn't know this existed! Keep up the fantastic work sir!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_1.png.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	8056Hi Allen, screenshot of material editor in gmax, I use _9_ which is the top you can try 1 to 9.
    I am still learning and 9 seems OK. Hope this helps.
    Robert John
    Works okay but for when I'm on the runway, it flickers. I think the shadow is causing probs as when if flickers I can see the ground and the shadow from the runway.

Because Runways are large you will need to put a flatten area in and make sure the elevation is OK that should solve the problem.
    Robert John

I don't think a flatten area is needed for testing at Midway Island. Anyway I have the runway 0.003 meters off the ground in gmax and you can see in the screen shot flickering. I'm using Zbias_9_Runway in the material editor.

Attachment 8084

Setting the runway at 0.000 meters off the ground like the stock CFS2 runways also dose the same thing.

Attachment 8085

change the opacity of the material to 99 and the shadow will be gone. I had to do it with my hill for my tunnels. that should fix the flicker.

Side note; if its for a building, I'd add a meter or so below the ground. should help with any void spots in the ground.

Something for to to try.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."-Tom Krause

My works Here: http://www.thefreeflightsite.com/JFortin.htm

Thought of that after the post. No help....

Attachment 8159

Members who have read this thread: 32