Cookies from individuals

Thread: Cookies from individuals

Cookies from individuals

It has come to my attention that cookies are being placed by people or companies here on SOH. I posted a thread about Jump Drives in the FSX discussion forum yesterday and was asked to place it in the FSX Tweaks forum. I did this and before I left a post was made by Mr. Yo-Yo to say " I have over 200 gigs or ram, is 8 all you have"? and when I opened that thread I was hit with a Malicious site warning. This usually means that some site wants to place a tracking cookie in my computer. I can understand SOH placing a cookie with the requirement to sign-in, thats OK. But to have an individual like Mr. Yo-Yo to place one with an answer in a thread ............ WHY?
    Why does he need to track me?
    Is this OK with you guys? I understand that Mr. Yo-Yo is a contributor to SOH, well I am too when I can afford it. If Mr Yo-Yo has a company and has a reason to place a cookie, thats different. But to place them in a reply to a thread is not a very good reason to plant a cookie.
    If I'm wrong about this I'm sure you guys will let me know.

By the way, I had to re-install Adobe Flash and remove several programs this morning that I believe were placed by Mr. Yo-Yo. I also had 83 errors in my registry after I got all the unwanted programs out.
    Joe Watson
    Lake Placid, Florida

Cookies

I don't believe you quite understand how browser cookies work.

Without getting into detail, I generally set my browser to ask before accepting any Third Party (tracking) cookies.
    You can also be much more strict than that and ask before accepting ANY cookies, but that becomes cumbersome very quickly.
    I also periodically delete cookies from sites that I do not recognise or do not like.

In addition, when I come across an obvious adware or tracking site, I put it into the "Restricted Sites" category which limits the activities they can perform on my computer.

This doesn't quite take care of everything, but it does take out a lot of generally worthless stuff.

If you follow a posted link, then all bets are off.

Hope this helps a little.
    - Ivan.

Blog Entries
    we here at SOH are not passing 3rd party cookies, if you are unsure of your computer go here for a free trusted scan of your computer.

http://www.f-secure.com/en/web/labs_.../removal-tools
    Look What I Have Become!

Blog Entries
    after looking into this I removed the link to yoyo's website from his sig, this should clear things up.
    Look What I Have Become!

Quote Originally Posted by Ickie View Post
    after looking into this I removed the link to yoyo's website from his sig, this should clear things up.
    FWIW, Malwarebytes has removed the false report from yo-yo's website...
    https://forums.malwarebytes.org/inde...23#entry823995
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Members who have read this thread: 41