OOM with DX10

Thread: OOM with DX10

OOM with DX10

Flew from Aerosoft Oslo (ENGM) to their EHAM and then on to Taxi2gate LTBA. On arrival and just after leaving the runway, bam OOM. This is with the Fixer v2.1. Since being on dx10 I never had this problem. Is it possible to still get OOM with DX10? I thought with DX10 the memory from a previous scenery was dumped from the virtual memory?

Quote Originally Posted by B777ER View Post
    Flew from Aerosoft Oslo (ENGM) to their EHAM and then on to Taxi2gate LTBA. On arrival and just after leaving the runway, bam OOM.

Is it possible to still get OOM with DX10?
    - Yes - FSX is still a 32-bit app, Eric, and is still subject to that 4GB limitation.

I thought with DX10 the memory from a previous scenery was dumped from the virtual memory?
    When the DX9 API allocates memory for FSX to use - it allocates an amount 1). into the system's memory which will be roughly equal in size to that which is allocated 2). in the GPU's memory.
    A pipeline (approximate term) is then established between the two memories, with both the CPU and the GPU taking part in the graphics rendering process. This consumes a good chunk of the system's processor power, carrying out this work - but more importantly - it also consumes a good chunk of the system memory - hence when using the DX9 api - one is much closer to an OOM than when using the DX10 api.

When the DX10 api allocates memory it only uses the GPU's memory, and all graphics operations are carried out by the GPU's own processor(s). Nothing (graphically) gets done on the system's CPU or has any interaction with the system memory. This should give the system a performance boost and the system's memory some "headroom" - but - if there are memory leaks, or memory is not released properly, or the amount of in-use files increases without control - then an OOM can certainly occur.

4096 textures - many layers of clouds - cloud visibility distance - lots of traffic - increasingly complex scenery - numerous other addons - high scenic LOD - complex aircraft - highest water detail - anything else which is spawned or called from FSX - excess usage of any or all of these will cause an OOM.

However - there's also the not-so-well-known "DeskTop Heap Limitation" which may also cause an OOM. This needs to be checked too, Eric.

Hope this helps some more!

All the Best,

pj

i7-4790K@4.8 gig, using EK-Supreme HF waterblock, LG 43" 4K; MSI 2060; 32 gig G.Skill Trident GTX @2400; Win 10-64; Homebuilt cockpit; MD-80-style throttle quadrant; TrackIR5

Thanks as always Paul for a very informative post.

Hi friends,

yesterday, I had my first OOM with DX10 Fixer

There was at EHAM (by nl2000) after 60-min flight. I have also installed all Holland's regions (photo) also nl2000. Aircraft: PMDG NGX. I must admit that I changed camera view quite often while taxiing (after land).
    Other settings:
    LOD=4.5
    BP=0
    Textures=1024
    nVidia drivers 344.11

I would like to know if it is really possible to reach OOM in this conditions?

Lucas
    Last edited by Lucas; November 9th, 2014 at 23:26.
    AsRock P67 Pro3 | i5 2500K 4.3GHz | 4 x 2GB RAM | Gigabyte GTX660 Ti OC 2GB | 2 x 1TB (SATAIII) | Vista 64
    FSX (SP2), DX10SF, SweetFX, UTX Europe, XClass World, AS Next, REX4, GSX

I've also managed to get an oom, lots of view changes setting up the majestic Dash 8 for flight and then 15 mins into flight, OOM.
    I7 3700k @ 4.5 ghz, 2 x 8 gig 2133ghz ram, Evga gtx 780 classified, samsung 840 pro 250 gig ssd for op system, Win 7 64 bit ultimate, Samsung 840 evo for fsx photo scenery, 600 gig wd velocraptor for fsx, creative XFI fatality sound card.

Members who have read this thread: 7